The Minnow Bucket

Old February 16th, 2005, 03:59 AM
Bob La Londe

Default The Minnow Bucket

How you progressing on that tin boat project?

Bob La Londe
www.yumabassman.com

Old February 16th, 2005, 04:49 AM
Henry Hefner

Bob La Londe wrote:
How you progressing on that tin boat project?

Bob La Londe
www.yumabassman.com

Without much free time from work, it will be a looong process. I will
probably be fished quite a bit as is. However, I did find a little time
Sunday afternoon to drag it to the lake with a trolling motor and check
it for stability. The deck will probably have to be lower than I would
originally have liked, unless, hmmmm.... Maybe if I added a little
weight at the bow against the bottom? Maybe that would compensate for
someone standing higher? I'll have to throw a couple of sandbags in and
try walking on the seats. First though, I need to find a carb for a
1985 Gamefisher 5HP. I found out yesterday they are no longer available
through Sears. Ouch.
Old February 16th, 2005, 06:03 AM
Bob La Londe

Ping my dad. He has some old Sears motors.

robert_la_londe at hotmail dot com

Not sure what he has.

--
** Public Fishing and Boating Forums
** www.YumaBassMan.com

Old February 16th, 2005, 06:06 AM
Bob La Londe

Did you go to the parts department? I have a sears motor made in the 1950s
that I was abel to get some carb parts for through the Sears parts
department.

I was also able to find some through Cherry soemthing or other small
engines.

And of course... Google is your friend, Just need to find out who made the
carb for the motor. I'm sure it was made by some regualr small engine or
carb comapny.

Old February 16th, 2005, 12:18 PM
Dan, danl, danny boy, Redbeard, actually Greybeard

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 21:49:41 -0600, Henry Hefner
sent into the ether:

Bob La Londe wrote:
How you progressing on that tin boat project?

Bob La Londe
www.yumabassman.com

Without much free time from work, it will be a looong process. I will
probably be fished quite a bit as is. However, I did find a little time
Sunday afternoon to drag it to the lake with a trolling motor and check
it for stability. The deck will probably have to be lower than I would
originally have liked, unless, hmmmm.... Maybe if I added a little
weight at the bow against the bottom? Maybe that would compensate for
someone standing higher? I'll have to throw a couple of sandbags in and
try walking on the seats. First though, I need to find a carb for a
1985 Gamefisher 5HP. I found out yesterday they are no longer available
through Sears. Ouch.

Henry,
As much as I hate to say it, I don't think any option will make it
stable with a high deck. A lower deck for casting is the best option.
A higher deck enabling a livewell and storage is good but in my 14' I
do not like standing on the higher deck, it just is too narrow for a
stable high platform. Have you decieded where you are going to store
the battery?

Remove the x for e-mail reply
www.outdoorfrontiers.com
www.SecretWeaponLures.com
Old February 16th, 2005, 03:10 PM
Henry Hefner

Bob La Londe wrote:
Did you go to the parts department? I have a sears motor made in the 1950s
that I was abel to get some carb parts for through the Sears parts
department.

I was also able to find some through Cherry soemthing or other small
engines.

And of course... Google is your friend, Just need to find out who made the
carb for the motor. I'm sure it was made by some regualr small engine or
carb comapny.

I went to their big parts and repair place. All internal parts are
available, but the body is damaged on this one. I was told that the
motor is made by Tecumseh, so maybe I can find something there. The carb
itself has stamped on it: "Lausen Power Products" and either Crafton,
Wis. or Grafton, Wis. also the numbers 349 and 1014. I will email your
father, thanks.
Old February 16th, 2005, 03:16 PM
Joe Haubenreich

My question would be, why would you really need an elevated casting deck...
for flipping? A V-hull boat tilts easier than a wide-bottom jon-boat, so if
I were going to tackle a project like that, I'd rig it like Jim Laumann's
V-hull.... with a floor attached directly to the ribs that makes standing
and moving around the boat more comfortable while maintaining a low center
of gravity.

I fished with Jim on Boom Lake at the NWClassic, and his boat was very
comfortable and fishable. He had built-in storage, plus everything was
positioned so it was in easy reach. The 14-foot Lund I used for a week in
Ontario last summer had no decking at all, and I got used to fishing from it
pretty quickly.

A foot-controlled, bow-mounted trolling motor would be a nice addition. You
could buy a good used one for less than what you'll pay to deck out your
boat. In fact, Charles Summers may someday soon have a spare 12-volt that he
might be willing to part with.

Joe
__________________

Old February 16th, 2005, 03:17 PM
Henry Hefner

Bob La Londe wrote:

[...]

I think you are right about the deck, the question is, How high is high?
I would like to have some storage, or why bother with adding anything? I
would like the battery towards the front somewhere, from a handyman's
point of view I've never liked the idea of a battery and wiring
connections next to a fuel tank. And guess where most people keep fire
extinguishers? right where they COULDN'T get to them if there was a fire.
Now, all you people who have extinguishers in cabinets above your
stoves, take them down and put them under the sink. NOW.

Old February 16th, 2005, 03:20 PM
Henry Hefner

Pictures? The biggest reason I want to deck is for storage underneath. I
would like to be able to stop at a restaurant without items disappearing
while I'm inside. I would like to see how he handled that.