OT Iowa Republicans

Old July 13th, 2004, 11:28 PM
Wolfgang

Default OT Iowa Republicans

"Flyfish" wrote in message
Ken Fortenberry wrote in
gy.com:

Can you believe this ? In the friggin' 21st century ?!?
In AMERICA !?!?

http://www.theiowachannel.com/educat...31/detail.html

Thank god for fire codes, I guess.

Highly amusing.

Yeah, those darned liberals.......they're always good for a laugh.

Imbecile.

Wolfgang

Old July 14th, 2004, 12:40 AM
Flyfish

"Wolfgang" wrote in :

"Flyfish" wrote in message
Ken Fortenberry wrote in
gy.com:

Can you believe this ? In the friggin' 21st century ?!?
In AMERICA !?!?

http://www.theiowachannel.com/educat...31/detail.html

Thank god for fire codes, I guess.

Highly amusing.

Yeah, those darned liberals.......they're always good for a laugh.

Imbecile.

Wolfgang

Gosh I could have sworn it was some religious right wingers burning
books.

Flyfish
Old July 14th, 2004, 08:46 AM
Cyli

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 20:54:43 GMT, Ken Fortenberry
wrote:

Can you believe this ? In the friggin' 21st century ?!?
In AMERICA !?!?

http://www.theiowachannel.com/educat...31/detail.html

Thank god for fire codes, I guess.

I want to be there to pick up the trash after that. Good pickin's
Old July 14th, 2004, 02:40 PM
Tom G

In article om,
Ken Fortenberry wrote:

Can you believe this ? In the friggin' 21st century ?!?
In AMERICA !?!?

http://www.theiowachannel.com/educat...31/detail.html

Thank god for fire codes, I guess.

I didn't see a single reference to the "Republicans" your Subject Line
refers to. Jumping to conclusions again, eh?

As much as it might surprise you, Ken, there are religiously
conservative folks who are registered and even vote Democrat. Most of
them are union workers.

Book burning, flag burning, hell--pass the marshmallows!
--
email:remove tt
Old July 14th, 2004, 08:33 PM
Mu Young Lee

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004, Frank Reid wrote:

One of the key advantages of the modern media is that science fiction novels
can now be printed faster than the local congregation can burn them. Ain't
science wonderful.

That reminds me of a lecture on black holes I attended about a decade ago.
After an hour of presentation had concluded, one of the people in
the audience, a certain Martinus Veltman, 1999 Nobel Laureate in Physics
for his work in quantum electrodynamics, stood up, asked the speaker,
"How much of this is science fiction," and promptly exited the auditorium
before the stunned person could reply. I guess he's no believer in warp
drive or dilithium crystals.

Burning books or burning flags is Ok by me as long is it is a matter of
expression and not policy.
__________________________________________________ _____________________ \

Mu Young Lee
remove all dashes and underscores in reply address
Old July 14th, 2004, 09:02 PM
snakefiddler

"Greg Pavlov" wrote in message
On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 17:52:16 -0400, "Jim" wrote:

Whether you agree with their actions, don't they have as much right to

burn
them as you have to read them?

I think that the Taliban used similar logic for destroying
those statues. That aside, if the books, etc are theirs, yes,
tho

I'd object if they were destroying the only known copies
of some works.

good point, greg.
i am a lover of books, and as i think i have stated earlier, anyone
visiting my home would probably notice that first off. while i am
*personally* offended by the action of book burning, i have to support the
right of an individual or group to do so, (however distasteful i may find
it), if i am to justify my right to read, say, and write whatever i want, or
even stand on the at the intersection of 105 and 321 , participating in an
anti-war protest. it is a difficult juxtaposition to accept, but a
necessary one.
to support greg's statement, i would become more concerned over the burning
of non- duplicated materials, however.

Old July 14th, 2004, 09:06 PM
Wolfgang

"Mu Young Lee" wrote in message
pcc.itd.umich.edu...
On Tue, 13 Jul 2004, Frank Reid wrote:

One of the key advantages of the modern media is that science

fiction novels
can now be printed faster than the local congregation can burn

them. Ain't
science wonderful.

That reminds me of a lecture on black holes I attended about a

decade ago.

You're lucky you got out of there alive........um.....or at all, for
that matter.

After an hour of presentation had concluded, one of the people in
the audience, a certain Martinus Veltman, 1999 Nobel Laureate in

Physics
for his work in quantum electrodynamics, stood up, asked the

speaker,
"How much of this is science fiction," and promptly exited the

auditorium
before the stunned person could reply. I guess he's no believer in

warp
drive or dilithium crystals.

I remember watching part of a TV program on "The Science of Star Trek"
or some such **** a couple of years ago. Depending on how one looks
at it, it would have been very funny if it weren't so pathetic......or
vice versa.

Burning books or burning flags is Ok by me as long is it is a matter

of
expression and not policy.

Only a true book lover can fully appreciate how many of them are badly
in need of burning.

Wolfgang
who, upon reflection, supposes the same can be said of flags.

Old July 14th, 2004, 10:44 PM
Wolfgang

"snakefiddler" wrote in message

"Greg Pavlov" wrote in message
On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 17:52:16 -0400, "Jim" wrote:

Whether you agree with their actions, don't they have as much right to

burn
them as you have to read them?

I think that the Taliban used similar logic for destroying
those statues. That aside, if the books, etc are theirs, yes,
tho

I'd object if they were destroying the only known copies
of some works.

good point, greg.
i am a lover of books, and as i think i have stated earlier, anyone
visiting my home would probably notice that first off.

I would. Bookshelves, if present, are about the first things I notice when
entering someone's house for the first time.......usually.

while i am
*personally* offended by the action of book burning, i have to support the
right of an individual or group to do so, (however distasteful i may find
it), if i am to justify my right to read, say, and write whatever i want,

or
even stand on the at the intersection of 105 and 321 , participating in an
anti-war protest. it is a difficult juxtaposition to accept, but a
necessary one.
to support greg's statement, i would become more concerned over the

burning
of non- duplicated materials, however.

So much in life depends on perspective. As has been pointed out, burning
books is largely a symbolic gesture these days.......has been at least since
the invention of the linotype, which allowed cheap and easy mass production.
Except in the noted exception of rare works (which rarely fall into the
hands of anyone who wants to burn them......thieves for profit are another
matter entirely) no harm is done by the actual burning of the books. In
fact, if all the would be book burners in today's world were given free
reign, their efforts would be negligible, if even noticeable, as compared to
what is routinely discarded on a daily basis. Personally, I believe they
SHOULD be given free reign and all the publicity they want. All I ask is
that the faces in the crowd be recorded. It is good to know who the enemy
is. And preventing them from burning books will not stop them from being
book burners.

Dickie's inability to distinguish between people who burn flags and flag
burners notwithstanding, I should think that people concerned about the
latter would benefit from taking a similar perspective. Of course, they
don't. This doesn't make them idiots......it merely illustrates that they
are.

Wolfgang

Old July 15th, 2004, 12:03 AM
Mark H. Bowen

"B J Conner" wrote in message
I would not make that assumption, most of them don't read. They would

have
to buy books to bring to the fire.

It's amazing how quickly all the fun and excitement of a good 'ol book
burnin' can turn nasty, once one throws a few Bibles on the flamin' embers!

mark

Old July 15th, 2004, 03:50 PM
Wolfgang

"Jim" wrote in message

"Wolfgang" wrote in message

bunch of stuff snipped

Personally, I believe they
SHOULD be given free reign and all the publicity they want. All I

ask is
that the faces in the crowd be recorded.

And who would keep these records of the faces in the crowd?

Hm........same folks who do it now, I suppose.

And how would it
be discerned whether the face in the crowd was a book burning

supporter,
just someone that happened by, or someone protesting the book buring

itself?

How do you determine anything that you want to know?

Seems a very slippery slope.

True. It could easily lead to things like public records of court
proceedings, county board meetings, church socials, athletic events,
crimes, fires, etc.

Frankly, if someone wants to burn a book, and
its their's to burn (or read, or give away), then I support their

right to
do so.

Me too. Um......I guess I should have mentioned that, huh?

As stated elsewhere, those owning rare books are unlikely to
incinerate them.

Yeah, that sounds familiar.

It is good to know who the enemy is.

Wolfgang

Agreed. But is the enemy the person exercising their First Amendment

rights,
or the person attempting to prohibit that expression?

Well, I guess that depends on where you stand on issues like first
amendment rights.

Wolfgang