Best fishing line?

Old June 23rd, 2004, 01:56 PM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

Default Best fishing line?

"Jeff Durham" wrote in message SNIP

The only thing I hate about braided lines is tying a palomar knot and
trimming it. I can tie an improved clinch knot in my sleep and mono is
always easier to trim. The braided stuff is difficult to cut. But hey,
that is a good thing! :-)

Jeff,

You can still use the improved clinch knot, all you have to do is make the
knot with SEVEN wraps around the main line. I use this knot all the time on
PowerPro and fish muskies without trouble.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old June 23rd, 2004, 03:59 PM
Jeff Durham

Thanks Steve. I will give that a try. In fact, when I first used 14lb
Fireline for salmon fishing, I didn't know about tying a palomar knot so I
used the improved clinch. I did not have any problems with the knot giving
way with 20lb fish. The only time I had a problem is when I used the 6lb
Fireline where the knot slipped. I may not have put enough turns on it
especially since it was a smaller diameter line. I will definitely try that
again.

Jeff

"Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers" wrote in
message ...

Old June 23rd, 2004, 05:36 PM
John

"GeneS" wrote in message ...
I plan to replace all the line on all my fresh & sal****er reels.
I'm still using the old open-face spinning & Ambassador baitcasters
for sal****er trout, reds & flounder - as well as bass in fresh water:-)

QUESTION:
Is there one good monofiliment type line that I can use for both
fresh & sal****er?

Here's my order of interest:
1. Will not tangle (curl up) - the grandkids will be using them as well
2. Will stretch - rather than break
3. The diameter of the line should be as small as possible for,
I guess about 15 pound or so line ...
I'm not really sure about the pound rating of the line. I guess
there is some compromise between line diameter & pounds -
but I do not know what that is. "I prefer to give up a few feet in casting
distance & have more line strength - just do not want that trophy to break
the line."

Here's a couple of links that I found.
I was unable to find a really good & objective review of fishing line.

Spider wi
http://www.hunting-fishing-gear.com/...splay/270.html

Fluorocarbon:
http://www.activeangler.com/articles.../invisible.asp

THANKS
Gene

Gene, I prefer Ande, but any of the good lines should work fine. I do
avoid the expensive lines for one simple reason, line doesn't last
forever, and the more expensive it is, the more people resist changing
it because of the cost. Even expensive line wears out, don't let a
prize fish that got away tell you it's time to change the line. Go
with a good line and change it every year or so, when it starts to
change color, fray, or tangle easily, change it.

John
Old June 23rd, 2004, 07:27 PM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"Jeff Durham" wrote in message
Thanks Steve. I will give that a try. In fact, when I first used 14lb
Fireline for salmon fishing, I didn't know about tying a palomar knot so I
used the improved clinch. I did not have any problems with the knot

giving
way with 20lb fish. The only time I had a problem is when I used the 6lb
Fireline where the knot slipped. I may not have put enough turns on it
especially since it was a smaller diameter line. I will definitely try

that
again.

I use it on 8 pound PowerPro and it seems to hold quite nicely.

Old June 24th, 2004, 11:17 AM
Sarge

Here is a suggestion before tossing the line out because it is frayed. Have
you ever removed all the line of the reel by spooling it onto another reel?
Basically what I am saying is to reverse the line. How many times have you
unspooled the reel while casting or fighting a fish? The line nearest to
the spool very seldom gets used. How many yards of line do you toss out
every time you respool your reels?

Sarge

Old June 24th, 2004, 01:04 PM
Rodney

Sarge wrote:
How many times have you
unspooled the reel while casting or fighting a fish?

Actually two, three, or more times a year this happens to me, mainly
because I back my drag off a bit more than most, this keeps me from ever
getting broke off, but I do get spooled, and when I have just a few
wraps left, I have to tighten up the drag, actually I start putting more
resistance as the line supply gets lower, put have had to choke it down
all the way near the end of the spool.

For me I need that backing to be as strong as the rest of the line.

I've had 325+ yds of 20# test strung out from the beach on quite a few
occasions, those 8 foot Bull sharks, can really spool the line off, and
from the beach, there is no running it down to get line back

This spring I caught a 11+ Hybrid strip on an ultra light rig ,and 6 lb
test, she spooled me three times (got were I could see the spool through
what little line was left on the reel), in that 43 min. fight

--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Long Shot "WIGGLE" rig, SpecTastic Thread

Old July 1st, 2004, 10:16 PM
dscotts

Jeff Durham wrote:
The only thing I hate about braided lines is tying a palomar knot and
trimming it. I can tie an improved clinch knot in my sleep and mono is
always easier to trim. The braided stuff is difficult to cut. But hey,
that is a good thing! :-)

kinda after the fact as this thread is probably dead by now but if you
read this Jeff you might like it!

that's the other beauty of the palomer, you don't have to trim it, at
least I don't anymore. when you tie the knot, after you make your first
loop around the hook, lure or split ring, don't pull it down real tight,
snug is enough. with the loop end that you normally swing around the
lure, pull on one side or the other that corresponds to the tag end.
just keep pulling on it until the tag slides down to about a heavy 1/8,
1/4 or whatever you usually trim to, too short and it will pull out.
then, loop around the lure, and this time pinch the knot for safety if
the tag is real short but generally I don't even bother with this, and
proceed as usual. the thing pulls down as always but now the tag stays
the length you just adjusted it to and all is set to go, no cutting.
Old July 1st, 2004, 10:54 PM
IBNFSHN

See, there is (cough cough) an advantage to smoking.

--
Bill
Chesapeake, Va

Old July 2nd, 2004, 04:48 AM
dscotts

IBNFSHN wrote:
See, there is (cough cough) an advantage to smoking.

say what????
Old July 2nd, 2004, 01:51 PM
Jeff Durham

Thanks for the info. I need more practice anyway with tying different knots
and I will give that a try with the palomar.

Jeff