Forfeited deposit question

Old January 14th, 2007, 10:14 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.saltwater
S Locke

Default Forfeited deposit question

I recently had to cancel and reschedule a charter trip in South Florida when
my business trip was cancelled by my consulting client. I gave the captain a
month's advance notice and rescheduled the fishing trip for two months later
for the time when the client had rescheduled our meeting. I was surprised
that the captain insisted that my $150 deposit was forfeited and could not
be applied to the rescheduled trip, even if he was able to fill the
cancelled date (considering he had a month to do that). He said the policy
was stated on his website. He said he was doing me a favor not to require
full payment for the day (even if it were to be taken by a new customer).

This seems unfair to me, though I accept that I am bound by his policy. I am
still going out with him in April, but I just wondered if this is the norm
or unusual. Any thoughts about this by the readers of this newsgroup? I
assume that both captains/guides and customers will have views about this.

Steve

Old January 15th, 2007, 12:28 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.saltwater
daytripper

You got it made: stiff the ****er when it comes time to tip him.
Old January 15th, 2007, 08:30 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.saltwater
Scott Seidman

"S Locke" wrote in
:

He said the policy
was stated on his website. He said he was doing me a favor not to require
full payment for the day (even if it were to be taken by a new customer).

Personally, I wouldn't have rebooked after he said that. Policy is policy,
and if he has a cancellation fee on his site, that's what you need to go
by. However, I don't need a guide that's doing me those sort of favors.

If you haven't given the captain a new deposit, go with someone else. If
you have, go, have a good time, and absolutely don't tip him.

--
Scott
Reverse name to reply
Old January 17th, 2007, 05:10 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.saltwater
Capt John

Scott Seidman wrote:
"S Locke" wrote in
:

He said the policy
was stated on his website. He said he was doing me a favor not to require
full payment for the day (even if it were to be taken by a new customer).

Personally, I wouldn't have rebooked after he said that. Policy is policy,
and if he has a cancellation fee on his site, that's what you need to go
by. However, I don't need a guide that's doing me those sort of favors.

If you haven't given the captain a new deposit, go with someone else. If
you have, go, have a good time, and absolutely don't tip him.

--
Scott
Reverse name to reply

I ran charters for years, the only time I would have even thought about
keeping a deposit would have been if it was cancelled at the last
minute, (like I'm sitting on the boat waiting) and without a real good
excuse. Maybe I'd just cover my expenses, like ice, bait, ect, and
refund the rest. But a month in advance, you were taken advantage of.

I guess you have to chalk this one up to experiance, and fish with
someone else next time. Charter guy's make their living from repeat
customers, that's their "bread and butter", don't go back to him. He
got your deposit, but he lost you as a customer.

John