Trolling Motors

Old January 18th, 2004, 01:49 PM
Richard g

Default Trolling Motors

I am going to replace my trolling motor. I have a Motor Guide now. I
have been looking at MG's and MinnKota's. One thing I noticed is that
Cabelas has several categories of re-built MK's, but only new MG's.
Why so many rebuilt MinnKota's? Are they unreliable? I know the 2
MK's I have owned both broke, but the MG's I have owned never had a
problem.
Richard g
www.bassstalkers.com
Old January 18th, 2004, 02:10 PM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"Richard g" wrote in message
I am going to replace my trolling motor. I have a Motor Guide now. I
have been looking at MG's and MinnKota's. One thing I noticed is that
Cabelas has several categories of re-built MK's, but only new MG's.
Why so many rebuilt MinnKota's? Are they unreliable? I know the 2
MK's I have owned both broke, but the MG's I have owned never had a
problem.
Richard g
www.bassstalkers.com

It's been my experience that MotorGuide motors are more trouble than
MinnKota. I've owned 4 or 5 MG motors and only one has lasted an entire
season. MinnKota motors on the other hand have been very durable and
dependable. Even now, there's a 36 volt, top of the line MotorGuide, and
mount sitting in the garage, dead! And a MinnKota on the boat.

One problem area with MinnKota is in the area of the foot control on the
PowerDrive models. I'd be willing to bet that the "rebuilt" models have new
foot pedals. By using the new handheld/rod mounted remote control, I'd be
willing to bet that 95% of those problems could be eliminated.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old January 18th, 2004, 07:36 PM
Calif Bill

"Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers" wrote in
message ...

"Richard g" wrote in message
[...]

Cabelas may have a deal with MK to sell the factory rebuilt's. I bought a
65AP from the bargain cave a year ago and still working fine. They come
with a 1 year instead of 2 year warrantee. And a couple of hundred saving
was worth a year less warrantee.
Bill

Old January 18th, 2004, 08:07 PM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"Calif Bill" wrote in message SNIP

Cabelas may have a deal with MK to sell the factory rebuilt's. I bought a
65AP from the bargain cave a year ago and still working fine. They come
with a 1 year instead of 2 year warrantee. And a couple of hundred saving
was worth a year less warrantee.
Bill

Bill, I totally agree with you there!

Old January 18th, 2004, 08:19 PM
RichZ

I've owned way too many electric motors in the past 30+ years. Most of them
have been motor guides. All of the MGs failed me way too soon. The MK on my
boat now has been perfect for going on 4 years now. I will never own a
motorguide again.

RichZ©
www.richz.com/fishing

Old January 18th, 2004, 08:51 PM
Andrew Kidd

"RichZ" wrote in message

I've owned way too many electric motors in the past 30+ years. Most of

them
have been motor guides. All of the MGs failed me way too soon. The MK on

my
boat now has been perfect for going on 4 years now. I will never own a
motorguide again.

RichZ©
www.richz.com/fishing

Have had the same 45lb thrust Motorguide on my boat for the last 10 years.
Doesn't have any paint left on the bottom of it, but it's still running
strong!...

Seems to be the minority around here.

(now I've gone and jinxed it...) :-)

--
Andrew Kidd
http://www.amiasoft.com/ - Software for the rest of us!

Old January 18th, 2004, 09:14 PM
Andrew Kidd

Default Trolling Motors (sorry about that)

Wow...serious computer malfunction. It didn't even tell me it sent it once!
I see at least four of the same message!

Old January 18th, 2004, 10:41 PM
jack schmitt KQ4C

"Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers" wrote:

"Calif Bill" wrote in message SNIP

Cabelas may have a deal with MK to sell the factory rebuilt's. I bought a
65AP from the bargain cave a year ago and still working fine. They come
with a 1 year instead of 2 year warrantee. And a couple of hundred saving
was worth a year less warrantee.
Bill

Bill, I totally agree with you there!
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com
G & S Guide Service
http://www.herefishyfishy.com

I agree with Steve.
I used MG for years with no trouble. When Brunswick, I believe, bought
them I had nothing but problems. I sent one back to Starkville almost a
Year ago and I still don't have it back. I have a new MK with the
co-pilot and it is MK for me from here out.

Jack in Tn.