Fly Collection

Old April 15th, 2007, 05:05 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Peter A. Collin

Default Fly Collection

Hello All,

I am so sick of the continuing winter that I holed myself up in my tying
room, looking through all my stuff.

I am curious about something - do any other roffians have collections of
flies tied by famous tiers? I have a small collection that I am very
proud of but, alas, impresses very few people.

I have examples of tying done by John Gierach, A.K. Best, Art Flick,
Poul Jorgenesen, Ed Schenk, Tom Pero, Dave Paris and Mary Dette. Tried
for a Jimmy Carter, but got no reply.

I have many flies tied by locally famous guys, too - Al Himmel, Nick
Pionessa, Brian Slovinski, Mark Stothard, Carl Coleman, Jay Peck, John
Miller, Charlie Dixon, Fred Brand.

Does any body else out there have a collection?

Pete Collin
Old April 15th, 2007, 05:13 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry

Peter A. Collin wrote:
snip
Does any body else out there have a collection?

I have a Tom Littleton Usual and I used to have a Willi Loehman
midge emerger but I used it until it fell apart. They may not
be famous tiers but those flies should be, they're the creme de
la creme of my fly swap flies.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old April 15th, 2007, 05:31 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wayne Knight

"Peter A. Collin" wrote in message
I am curious about something - do any other roffians have collections of
flies tied by famous tiers? I have a small collection that I am very
proud of but, alas, impresses very few people.

I have examples of tying done by John Gierach, A.K. Best, Art Flick, Poul
Jorgenesen, Ed Schenk, Tom Pero, Dave Paris and Mary Dette.

About 6-7 years ago, many tyers from various parts of world and various
"fame" contributed flies as a fund raiser for ALS on behalf of the late Gary
LaFontainne. I "won" the bidding on the main package of six flies from each
tyer. I have used a few but still have most of those along with all the
flies from the various swaps I have participated in together in a duffle.
One of these days I'll use all some of my woodworking tools and make the
appropriate display case for them. I have a couple of flies that belonged to
John Voelker but if I recall correctly, he did not tie his own flies.

Old April 15th, 2007, 05:35 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tim Lysyk

Peter A. Collin wrote:

Does any body else out there have a collection?

Pete Collin

I have very few...

1) flies tied from the couple of ROFF fly swaps.
2) A collection tied by my friend and local fly shop/owner guide Vic
Bergman who is known in Alberta and the Crowsnest region
3) A small collection of flies tied by Robert Cormier, who co-authored
and illustrated the book "Mayflies: An Angler's Study of Trout Water
Ephemeroptera" with Malcolm Knopp. He lived in the Crowsnest Pass, and I
knew him for several years before he passed away.

That's about it. I have a number of flies I hang onto that were given to
me by various other friends.

Tim Lysyk
Old April 15th, 2007, 05:37 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L

"Peter A. Collin" wrote

Does any body else out there have a collection?

Sandy Pittendrigh is working on a website with high quality photos of flies
by famous tiers. I'd suggest contacting him and possibly sharing your
collection for that project.

Old April 15th, 2007, 05:50 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Peter A. Collin

Tim Lysyk wrote:

2) A collection tied by my friend and local fly shop/owner guide Vic
Bergman who is known in Alberta and the Crowsnest region

I met Vic on a fishing trip to that area several years ago - His guide
Leland took me and my friends on a drift. One of the greatest trips I
ever made. I have one fly from his shop that he may have tied - an
imitation of a green drake, with a nifty hackle and wing that I haven't
seen anywhere else.

you are lucky to live in such a beautiful area.

Peter
Old April 15th, 2007, 07:06 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tim Lysyk

Peter A. Collin wrote:

I met Vic on a fishing trip to that area several years ago - His guide
Leland took me and my friends on a drift. One of the greatest trips I
ever made. I have one fly from his shop that he may have tied - an
imitation of a green drake, with a nifty hackle and wing that I haven't
seen anywhere else.

you are lucky to live in such a beautiful area.

Peter

Do you have a picture of the green drake?

Vic is is heck of a nice guy. So is Leland. I used to guide for Vic, but
I did walk and wades, never the drift trips. I stopped guiding last
summer, so that I could spend more time fishing myself. Didn't quite
work out that way! I am planning on more time fishing this year. My son
is 10 now and I think he is ready to spend some time on the stream with
me. We have lots of smaller streams that kids would do very well on.

I live in Lethbridge, whcih is about an hour from the Pass, but that is
certainly close enough, and I do consider myself lucky to live here.

Tim Lysyk

Old April 16th, 2007, 01:37 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 12:05:49 -0400, "Peter A. Collin"
wrote:

Hello All,

I am so sick of the continuing winter that I holed myself up in my tying
room, looking through all my stuff.

I am curious about something - do any other roffians have collections of
flies tied by famous tiers? I have a small collection that I am very
proud of but, alas, impresses very few people.

I have examples of tying done by John Gierach, A.K. Best, Art Flick,
Poul Jorgenesen, Ed Schenk, Tom Pero, Dave Paris and Mary Dette. Tried
for a Jimmy Carter, but got no reply.

I have many flies tied by locally famous guys, too - Al Himmel, Nick
Pionessa, Brian Slovinski, Mark Stothard, Carl Coleman, Jay Peck, John
Miller, Charlie Dixon, Fred Brand.

Does any body else out there have a collection?

Pete Collin

I have quite a few flies tyed by famous, infamous, and
not-nearly-famous-enough folks, but they aren't in a "collection" as
such. I was lucky enough to have a grandfather, and his father, who
were both fairly well-connected, sporting-wise, and as such, inherited
quite a bit of cool stuff, not the least of which was some of their
passed-on knowledge (mostly pre-1980 or so as to the tangible stuff).
Interesting at least to me, my mother was also a fairly decent caster in
her youth, and a girl, then as now, seems to draw a fair amount of, um,
"treasure." One particularly cool thing in that vein is a set of ties
done on pinclips for ladies, done by some of the Bergman/Burke/etc.
circle, amongst others, in the 50s (IIRC) and given to my mother and
grandmother. Apparently, this was something of a "rage" then. There's
a fairly large group of those in a variety of recipes and styles,
including some full-dress salmons.

As a sorta ROFFian aside, there are some interesting bits from the
original George - Herter. I have somewhere, unless they're lost, a
large span of Herter's catalogs. If you're interested in funky
sporting-related stuff, finding one from the 50s-60s would be an
interesting read, IMO. I remember reading these as a kid and being like
many were with the Sears toy catalogue.

The unfortunate thing is that much of it was treated as what it really
was at the time - fishing/casting equipment/gear - and as such, it isn't
cataloged as a collection. Obviously, things like books, artwork, the
aforementioned "ladies' pins," and rods are easily-determined, but the
"plain ol' using flies" would take a more-knowledgeable viewer than
myself to help determine who may have tyed what.

TC,
Old April 16th, 2007, 01:40 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Peter A. Collin

Larry L wrote:
"Peter A. Collin" wrote

Does any body else out there have a collection?

Sandy Pittendrigh is working on a website with high quality photos of flies
by famous tiers. I'd suggest contacting him and possibly sharing your
collection for that project.

Do you have a link?
Old April 16th, 2007, 02:03 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Flytyer37

Does any body else out there have a collection?

Poul Jorgensen, Kelly Galloup, Toril Korbul, Mike Martinek, Lefty Kreh
and quite a few others. I have a "special box" that I use for these.
Some really nice flies.
Frank Reid