montana - july 9-17

Old June 27th, 2007, 02:39 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
jeff

Default montana - july 9-17

not sure who'll be in the area this year. hope to see a few of the
regulars.

rachel is accompanying me on the trip for the first time, so it'll be a
whole new adventure. i'm looking forward to showing her what's taken
such a hold on me about the place. we'll be at the howlin mad moon july
9 and in that area of the madison until july 17. warren should be around
and there's a rumor danl will be too. i'm gonna try to hunt down larry
(who's successfully avoided us miscreants to this date - gotta remedy
that, and get an entry in his remarkable journal). hope to fish the park
some, including the opening day circus on the yellowstone, as well as my
habitual stretch on the madison above reynolds. if any of the "usual
suspects" will be in the area, it'd be great to see y'all again...as
well as any of the unusual or unknown suspects lurking and with an
interest in sharing some time fishing. send me a note (change .com to
..net in the above address). i'm told the salmonflies will probably be
done on the madison by the time we arrive and that the water is low.

anyway...looking forward to another year's visit.

jeff

Old June 27th, 2007, 03:41 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Danl

Looking forward to seeing you and Rachel and Warren and any others that will
be in the area. Probable dates are July 7 through July 13 or 14.

Anyone else?

Danl

Old June 27th, 2007, 03:52 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
bones

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 09:39:37 -0400, jeff
wrote:

[...]

we will be at the slide from the 9th till the 19th, drop by!
Harry
troutflies com
Old June 27th, 2007, 04:56 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wayne Harrison

"jeff" wrote in message
not sure who'll be in the area this year. hope to see a few of the
regulars.

rachel is accompanying me on the trip for the first time, so it'll be a
whole new adventure. i'm looking forward to showing her what's taken such
a hold on me about the place.

sure wish me and renda macrae speight, late of pitt county, could share
the adventure. having your lady along, as i was fortunate enough to
experience two years ago, is quite a plus factor. i can have ree turn
rachel on to the sightseeing opps within a two hundred mile area around
camp. just let me know.

yfitons
wayno

Old June 27th, 2007, 09:57 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
dcabarle[_4_]

Where will you be fishing? I've had some really great experiences on the
following:

Clarks Fork
Bitter Root
Henry's Fork
Madison
Black Foot

All are awesome rivers. My next stop will be the Big Horn. My friends
keep telling me BIG FISH ALL DAY!!! Maybe next year!

A href="technorati.com/claim/4794cr5zw7" rel="me""Technorati Profile

--
dcabarle

-=Dennis=-
Old June 29th, 2007, 01:41 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Dave S

You will catch big fish all day on the Bighorn. The problem with the
warm water is...those big fish fight like old rubber boots. It is fun
to catch these monsters, but it's almost too easy and they act so
sluggish and unhealthy. You'll see what I mean.

Many locals here in MT consider the Bighorn in the same way they'd
consider a well-stocked kids fishing pond.....training wheels for other
rivers, maybe. The ease of catching these over-stocked monsters has
somewhat of an unnatural feel to it...but that's easy for me to say
since as a Montanan, I'm spoiled when it comes to the outdoors. And the
Bighorn does bring in the tourist dollars, I suppose. But that goes
back to the unnatural, over-stocked thing...

Anyway....you will have fun regardless of what I think. But bring
along a case of sunscreen to fish this river, as it will be between 90
and 110 degrees.

Old June 29th, 2007, 06:10 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Dave S

Yes, it is a tailwater, and much cooler than the LBH. But "cold
water" must be used carefully, especially in relation to other Montana
cold water streams.

From MT FWP:

"Prior to 1965, the Bighorn was a warm, silty stream that flowed out
of the Bighorn Canyon into the Montana prairie. With the completion of
Yellowtail Dam, it transformed into a cooler tailwater ideal for trout.
It can be called a coldwater fishery, though not in the way some of
colder, crisper streams in the central and western parts of the state
can. A species list shows the middle-ground diversity of the Bighorn
River:

Bigmouth buffalo, black bullhead, burbot, channel cat, carp, emerald
shiner, flathead minnow, flathead chub, freshwater drum, goldeye, green
sunfish, longnose sucker, whitefish, river carpsucker, sauger, shorthead
redhorse, smallmouth bass, smallmouth buffalo, walleye, white sucker,
yellow perch.

The river meets the Yellowstone near Custer, the Yellowstone turning
into a warmwater fishery east of Billings"

Our definitions of warmwater are just different due to our geographic
location. If you are from the Heartland or other areas of the midwest,
I'm sure the Bighorn seems like coldwater heaven. But when you live in
a state that has some of the highest, cleanest, coldest, and most pure
water left on the planet....the Bighorn seems, well, pretty warmwater.

Anywhere I can catch a trout, a ling (burbot), and a catfish in the
same day......warm water.

Not trying to stir things up. I just figure that if you come to MT,
which is known for it's mountains, fishing, and some of the purest
waters left on earth, why fish a river that probably looks like a river
near you. The Bighorn is a man-made fishery...and it looks and feels
like one.

You will catch big fish all day long, yes. But you are comparing
their fight to a fish caught in a river near you, not a river near me.
A wild 12 inch trout caught in the cold waters of 10,000ft will fight
harder than a man-planted 22 incher in the warmer waters of the Bighorn.

If you ever get the chance to eat a trout caught at 10,000 ft and
compare it to a Bighorn trout, or a trout near you...you will know what
I mean. There is an actual physical difference in the flesh due to
water temp and comparative inactivity of fish on the man-made fishery
that is the Bighorn.

Old June 29th, 2007, 11:11 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
jeff

Wayne Harrison wrote:
"jeff" wrote in message

not sure who'll be in the area this year. hope to see a few of the
regulars.

rachel is accompanying me on the trip for the first time, so it'll be a
whole new adventure. i'm looking forward to showing her what's taken such
a hold on me about the place.

sure wish me and renda macrae speight, late of pitt county, could share
the adventure. having your lady along, as i was fortunate enough to
experience two years ago, is quite a plus factor. i can have ree turn
rachel on to the sightseeing opps within a two hundred mile area around
camp. just let me know.

yfitons
wayno

rachel will appreciate all recommendations...i, on the other hand, will
appreciate those that do not require a credit card. g rachel is
unlikely to travel as vigorously as ree, but i know she would like to
hear about ree's suggestions. thanks!

jeff