Chesapeake Bay Striped Bass Report

Old November 17th, 2007, 02:58 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.saltwater
Worldwide Angler

Default Chesapeake Bay Striped Bass Report

Hi Gang

I headed out again on Sunday to try for some of the breaking fish
action that we found on Friday. This trip I had friends who I used to
work with at AOL, Tige and Fletcher. We do an annual trip together
every November on the Chesapeake. Tige and Fletcher zipped over from
DC and we met at Lowes in Easton at 7:30am. We loaded up their gear
and headed to the Bellevue ramp to splash the boat and head out into
the river/bay. We stopped at one pod of breaking fish in the river and
caught a fish, but decided to head to the mouth where I had found fish
on Friday. It was not long before the birds emerged and we found
fish....everywhere. The charter boats were on them, but we were
surprised by the courteous nature of everyone not running right on top
of you when you hooked up.

We caught fish from about 8:20am until we headed out around 2:30pm so
Tige and Fletcher could make it back to DC at a decent hour. The fish
were on the smaller side compared to Friday, but having said that all
we used were fly rods, so we were not getting down to the bottom to
find the bigger fish that were showing up on the new Lowrance that I
have.

The water in the bay was about 56.2 degrees. We caught striped bass
and landed on bluefish, but saw a bunch of others in the swirling fish
at the boat.

Tackle: all fly rods: Sage and Scott: 8 and 9 wts with intermediate
and sinking Rio Lines. We literally only used a total of 3 flies all
day, all my Blanco baitfish pattern on size 2/0 hooks.

Below are some pictures and here is a movie I made with some above the
water and underwater footage I shot between Friday and Sunday. Be
warned, the movie file is about 16mgs, so it could take a while to
load depending on your connection. I had to make it a larger file so
you could see the underwater footage of the baitfish, you can
literally see the bait's eyes. On the lower resolution version you
could not see it and I wanted you to have the full experience. :yes:

More pictures located at: http://www.TidalFish.com

Brandon