Left handed reels...

Old March 25th, 2005, 07:42 PM
Bob La Londe

Default Left handed reels...

I iknow this horse has been beat to death here, but I have been fishing bait
casters right handed. I cast, flip, or pitch, then switch hands. I took
some extra care the other day to wait until bweightless baits had hit the
bottom before switching hands, and a number of times I felt the line jump
int hat moment when I would normally be switching hands. I hooked up two
nice fish over four pounds that hit then.

Many people have said if you get used to fishing baitcasters right handed
you can't switch so I have been hesitant to invest in one to try it. Today
I went down to Sportsmen's Hide-A-Way a left handed Curado out of the case,
mounted it on a 7' St Croix rods, and pretended to pitch with it, then snap
the handle over and retrieve. I do not believe I would have any trouble
adjusting to fishing bait casters left handed. I might get a little
confused in my rod positionw hen switching from bait casters to spinning
reels, but I don't think so. So of the low rod tip positions were much more
comfortable fishing it left handed. My ABA partner Hammer fishes
exclusively left handed so I may ask to borrow a couple of his rods next
time out and see if I really do like it better. If I do... I'll have a
small fortune in right handed bait casters to get rid of.

--
** Public Fishing and Boating Forums
** www.YumaBassMan.com

Old March 25th, 2005, 08:38 PM
AJH

If your happy with a right handed reel why switch?

Old March 25th, 2005, 09:07 PM
Ken Blevins

Bob----I started out using a RH baitcasters and on a whim I bought a 201
curado and have never looked back. I now have 10 curados and 9 of them are
LH .As far as I'm concerned ,I don't ever seeing me buying another RH reel
unless its a reel that I just want..... I've got about 8-10 RH reels that
are like new that I just don't bother using.. BUT you never have to many
Ken

Old March 25th, 2005, 11:52 PM
alwaysfishking

I don't understand when people reel with their right hands on baitcasters
and with their left hands on spinning reels. I see plently of people cast
with their right hand, then switch over to reel with the same hand. They
have to miss fish occasionally during the switch

Old March 26th, 2005, 04:43 AM
Charles B. Summers

Please Randy, I can cast my baitcaster with my right arm, and before the
bait hits the water, I can have it ready in my left hand. I highly doubt
that you're gonna miss too many fish.

Old March 26th, 2005, 05:38 AM
Bob La Londe

Can you do that when pitching and still control the bait so it skips under a
dock, or enters the water with little or no splash?

Old March 26th, 2005, 10:00 AM
AJH

If you use a left handed baitcaster and you cast right handed and palm
the reel you have to make that little move from the cast position to the
palm position any way..
Bob, most guys can't skip a bait under a dock using baitcaster with out
a big backlash..

Old March 26th, 2005, 01:39 PM
Dan, danl, danny boy, Redbeard, actually Greybeard

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 22:43:01 -0600, "Charles B. Summers"
sent into the ether:

Please Randy, I can cast my baitcaster with my right arm, and before the
bait hits the water, I can have it ready in my left hand. I highly doubt
that you're gonna miss too many fish.

I say whatever is most comfortable to you to do. I am right handed
and cast with my right hand with spinning and baitcasters. It just
feels right to me.

[...]

Remove the x for e-mail reply
www.outdoorfrontiers.com
www.SecretWeaponLures.com
A proud charter member of "PETAF", People for Eating Tasty Animals and Fish!!!
Old March 26th, 2005, 01:41 PM
Dan, danl, danny boy, Redbeard, actually Greybeard

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 07:39:45 -0600, "Dan, danl, danny boy, Redbeard,
actually Greybeard now" sent into the ether:

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 22:43:01 -0600, "Charles B. Summers"
sent into the ether:

Please Randy, I can cast my baitcaster with my right arm, and before the
bait hits the water, I can have it ready in my left hand. I highly doubt
that you're gonna miss too many fish.

I say whatever is most comfortable to you to do. I am right handed
and cast with my right hand with spinning and baitcasters. It just
feels right to me.

DUH, I forgot to say I have set up my spinning rigs for left hand
retrieve and I use left hand baitcasters. Must be the excitement over
the MTC!! :}