Two handed overhead rod

Old July 2nd, 2005, 02:40 PM
JAL

Default Two handed overhead rod

Anyone have any recommendations for a good not-hyper-expensive two handed
rod for overhead casting?

thanks,

john

Old July 2nd, 2005, 03:40 PM
Peter Charles

On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 08:40:39 -0500, "JAL"
wrote:

Anyone have any recommendations for a good not-hyper-expensive two handed
rod for overhead casting?

thanks,

john

How big?

All of the Daiwa Lochmors (Scottish) are good overhead rods as well as
spey casters and they run from 12'6" - 8 wt. to 15'6" - 11 wt. Order
from Scotland, about $400.00 landed.

The 11 ' CND Atlantis 11/12 and All-Rounder 9/10 are dedicated
overhead striper rods. About $500.00

Loop Blue 7116 and the new 8116 plus the 8124. Loop Green 9116 (11'6"
- 9 wt.) - Meant for Underhand casting, they work equally well
overhaed. All of the good Underhand rods seem to be good overhead
casters -- probably the characteristics of one works for the other.
About $440.00 for the Blue series and about $600.00 for the Green.

TFO 1212

T&T 1212

I have the 11/12 wt. Atlantis and two of the new version Lochmors (9
wt. & 10 wt.) plus the Loop Blue 7116 and 8124. The 7116 isn't
available anymore and it instead sold as the 8116, Loop having
stiffened the tip section. I've also owned the old Lochmor X 11 wt.
and fished the 8 wt. version as well. Also had a chance to try the
9116 Green Loop. All of them are great overhead rods.

Haven't tried the TFO or the T&T so can't comment on those.

One word of caution, the line ratings are only suggestive as these
rods can carry a broad range of grain weight. If you buy one of the
rods I've suggested, I can give you line recommendations. As an
example, the older version Daiwa Lochmor X 8 wt. would suggest a
WF-8-F line but the bare minimum is a WF-10-F. I've overhead cast,
with the full 65' head aerialized, a 630 grain line. My two Daiwas
and the Atalntis will handle from 400 to 600 grains overhead without
breaking a sweat. The Loop 7116 is a 300 grain rod while the 8124 is
more in the 400 grain range.

HTH

Peter

turn mailhot into hotmail to reply

Visit The Streamer Page at http://www.mountaincable.net/~pcharl...ers/index.html
Old July 2nd, 2005, 11:33 PM
FlyFish_rep

In article ,
"JAL" wrote:

Anyone have any recommendations for a good not-hyper-expensive two handed
rod for overhead casting?

There are two good recommendations. One is the the moderately priced
but "hyper" superior quality CND atlantis (www.cndspey.com) and then
their is the tfo ticr 12 weight two handed rod that is cheap but has
moderate quality and hard to beat customer service
Old July 4th, 2005, 07:53 PM
Roddytoo

Hi
You tried overhead with a 15 ft rod (if that's the length you want)? Spey
casting is much better, overhead with long rods causes many wind (overhand)
knots, bad news when a fish hits.

Old July 4th, 2005, 11:50 PM
Peter Charles

On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 11:53:04 -0700, "Roddytoo"
wrote:

Hi
You tried overhead with a 15 ft rod (if that's the length you want)? Spey
casting is much better, overhead with long rods causes many wind (overhand)
knots, bad news when a fish hits.

Not if they're cast properly. Two-handers cast immense distances
overhead and will cast consistently good loops if the handle is in the
hands of someone who knows what they're doing.

Most converts from single to double-handers flog the crap out of them
thinking that a big rod needs a lot of effort. Nothing could be
further from the truth. How about casting over 100' without even
closing your hands around the handle? Watch the best casters and they
look like they're barely using any effort at all.

BTW, I don't consider myself to be a good caster, just an average one
and 125' to 135' overhead is routine for me -- no tailing loops, no
wind knots using rods up to 16'.

Old July 4th, 2005, 11:55 PM
Jeff Miller

wrote:

[...]

you need to come down sometime when the albies are running and fish the
hook at cape lookout...you'll reach areas all the other landlocked
flycasters dream of. of course, those of us with boats...well g i
hear wally now has an in with the sal****er flyfishing crowd out of
harkers island. he oughta plan a salty gathering...

jeff

jeff
Old July 5th, 2005, 12:00 AM
Peter Charles

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 18:55:52 -0400, Jeff Miller
wrote:

you need to come down sometime when the albies are running and fish the
hook at cape lookout...you'll reach areas all the other landlocked
flycasters dream of. of course, those of us with boats...well g i
hear wally now has an in with the sal****er flyfishing crowd out of
harkers island. he oughta plan a salty gathering...

jeff

Now that would be kewl. Never hooked a false albie. Tell Wally to
get his wealthy fly shop owner butt in gear. )

Be nice to get down to NC again and see y'all again.

Old July 6th, 2005, 12:08 AM
JAL

OK, here's another question: Please understand that I know next to zero
about spey casting. Could one spey cast in shallow ocean beach areas,
especially if there's little to no surf? I realize that some folks use two
handers for surf casting, but wondered what would prevent using a
traditional spey cast in flat salt water?

thanks,

John

Old July 6th, 2005, 12:31 AM
Peter Charles

"JAL" wrote in message
Anyone have any recommendations for a good not-hyper-expensive two handed
rod for overhead casting?

thanks,

john

Normal spey casting needs current and that can be supplied by a tidal
rip in sal****er, but the best appilcation for spey casting off the
beach is to use the cast as a setup for an overhead delivery.

Visualize a left-to-right wave action that tends to sweep your fly to
the right. As it gets close to shore, when you're finished stripping
in line, there's too little line beyond the tiptop to provide an
adequate load. At this point, execute a snake roll that pops
sufficient line out for a decent load, then lift the line off the
water, execute the overhead delivery and watch 100'+ sail out without
any false casting.