Dual nymphs

Old May 2nd, 2008, 06:05 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
notbob

Default Dual nymphs

......no, not hot big-boobed babes drooling over your rig!

I'm having no luck tossing out my lone oversized dry BWO (#12). OTOH, I've
improved my casting immensely. In light of that fact, I actually broke down
and spent big bucks on 3 flies from my local premier FF shop. The guy on
duty seemed to know his flies, but didn't know the basic nX equation for
tippets, so I'm not sure of any advice he offered other than to rig 'em as a
pair. So, the question is, what's the best way to rig a dual nymph
offering. I have a BH pheasant and a Dunn's emerger. I also got a hotwire
prince, but I figure that's a solo rig. What say ye? TIA

nb
Old May 2nd, 2008, 06:44 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L

"notbob" wrote

prince, but I figure that's a solo rig. What say ye? TIA

nb

If you haven't tried and feel comfortable with a single nymph rig ( by try I
mean actual fishing ) I'd suggest doing so until you get past the ....
likely ... frustration stage. An indicator, a split shot or two, and a
single nymph is plenty to keep you in hilarious giggles and give you plenty
of "tackle playing with" time untangling and re-tying ... and you'll catch
fish ...

Old May 2nd, 2008, 07:07 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Mike[_6_]

On May 2, 7:05 pm, notbob wrote:

So, the question is, what's the best way to rig a dual nymph
offering. I have a BH pheasant and a Dunn's emerger. I also got a hotwire
prince, but I figure that's a solo rig. What say ye? TIA

nb

I can´t see any point in doing it at all, you have even less control
than if you only used one. You will just end up with tangles. If you
want to use a nymph, then it is easier to learn to do it using an
indicator.

http://www.midcurrent.com/articles/g...ndicators.aspx

http://www.wfn.tv/fishingtips_search/index.php?id=92

If you absolutely must use two nymphs, then have a look at this;

http://www.adventuresportsonline.com/nymphrig.htm

TL
MC
Old May 2nd, 2008, 07:19 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Mike[_6_]

On May 2, 8:11 pm, Scott Seidman wrote:

Disagree. Dual nymphs are an extremely effective way of essentially
doubling your chances of having a nymph in the fish's strike zone. It's
particularly beneficial for beginners, who have a harder time controlling
the nymph's drift than an experienced nympher. I've never had a problem
with tangles, especially tying the dropper off the bend of the higher hook,
and if I did, I'd probably still use the method, because it can be
absolutely deadly.

--
Scott
Reverse name to reply

If they can´t control the drift of one nymph, how does using two
improve matters?

Multi-fly rigs are invariably just a waste of time for beginners, they
spend more time trying to remove tangles, and casting without hooking
themselves, than they do fishing.

TL
MC
Old May 2nd, 2008, 08:17 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
redietz

On May 2, 2:19 pm, Mike wrote:

If they can´t control the drift of one nymph, how does using two
improve matters?

Multi-fly rigs are invariably just a waste of time for beginners, they
spend more time trying to remove tangles, and casting without hooking
themselves, than they do fishing.

I couldn't disagree with this more strongly. I've rigged 8 year old
kids up with dual rig nymphs and they don't tangle any more than
single nymphs. The parts that cause tangles are the strike indicator
and split shot. If you're just looking to avoid tangles, get rid of
the shot, and make the point fly a heavy bead head.

As to you presumedly rhetorical question about control, there's at
least some chance that there's enough slack between the two flies that
one of them has some chance of dead drifting, as least a short
distance. (I hadn't thought about this before, but I think whoever
suggested it is right.)

Bob
Old May 2nd, 2008, 08:39 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Mike[_6_]

On May 2, 9:17 pm, redietz wrote:

I couldn't disagree with this more strongly. I've rigged 8 year old
kids up with dual rig nymphs and they don't tangle any more than
single nymphs. The parts that cause tangles are the strike indicator
and split shot. If you're just looking to avoid tangles, get rid of
the shot, and make the point fly a heavy bead head.

As to you presumedly rhetorical question about control, there's at
least some chance that there's enough slack between the two flies that
one of them has some chance of dead drifting, as least a short
distance. (I hadn't thought about this before, but I think whoever
suggested it is right.)

Bob

The only thing I rig 8 year old kids up with is a bobber and a worm.
Seems to work very well;

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/9358/an4jx1.jpg

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/4614/an1fu4.jpg

TL
MC
Old May 2nd, 2008, 08:43 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Mike[_6_]

On May 2, 9:13 pm, rw wrote:

A two-nymph rig is, I believe, more that twice as effective as a
one-nymph rig.

The reason is that when you miss a strike on the first fly you're likely
to snag the fish with the second. :-)

Wouldn´t surprise me at all!

TL
MC