Surf Perch - Oregon & Washington Coast

Old May 30th, 2004, 07:10 AM
Padishar Creel

Default Surf Perch - Oregon & Washington Coast

My job will take me often to the coast and I want to try my hand at Fly
Fishin' for Surf Perch. I see that Bill Kiene has a seminar at his shop
with Ken Hanley and Jay Murakoshi and they will be teaching two one-day surf
perch clinics for Kiene's Fly Shop on June 12 and June 13, Saturday and
Sunday, near Watsonville, California.

I would love to attend, but I am hoping someone nearer to home has some
expertise on this fishery. Any suggestions on fly lines, technique, flies
etc. would be appreciated.

Chris

Old May 30th, 2004, 07:53 PM
B J Conner

http://www.csport.com/300.htm
I don't know anyone who's been to this. The people at the store won't talk
to your unless you have $100 bill hanging out of your pocket.
IME ff for perch in Oregon is difficult unless you get into the rocky
shorelline on the south coast.

Old May 31st, 2004, 02:31 AM
Padishar Creel

You must live near Portland...Last time I was in this shop, I was wearing
jeans and an ole favorite T-shirt and I was completely ignored...Their loss,
I had $3.00 to spend and they didn't get any of it and I would have probably
spent the majority of my stash right then and there...sheeeeesh

Chris

Old May 31st, 2004, 07:05 AM
B J Conner

You should have parked your Ferrari so they could have seen you get out of
it. They have soem nice stuff in there but it's not the type of place I
stop at before I go on a trip. I used to go in at lunchtime when I worked
close enough to walk over. They use to have some nice artwork in there.
Going downtown in Portland is getting to be more trouble all the time if I'm
around there I drop in but gooing there is not a destination trip.
I have read something by John Shewy on flyfishing for Redtail Perch in
surf. I can't remember if it was a book or an artical in a magazine.
I am going to give them another shot when I go south of Coos Bay sometime
this summer. I have caught perch in northern Cal on flies and I think
it's a matter of finding the right hole in the rocks.

Old June 2nd, 2004, 06:51 AM
Mu Young Lee

On Sat, 29 May 2004, Padishar Creel wrote:

I would love to attend, but I am hoping someone nearer to home has some
expertise on this fishery. Any suggestions on fly lines, technique, flies
etc. would be appreciated.

I fish for perch in SoCal. I wrote an article for my club newsletter a
few months ago. See

http://www.cvff.org/newsletter/news_04/Mar04.pdf

Personally I am very partial to lead core heads with Rio clear
intermediate running line. The fastest sinking integrated heads I know of
ar the Airflo Depth Finders. I like a shorter head (~23 feet) so that I
can retrieve as much line as possible before picking up for the next cast.
For that reason I buy an overlined size and cut it down to the length I
like.

Mu
Old June 2nd, 2004, 07:00 AM
Mu Young Lee

On Mon, 31 May 2004, B J Conner wrote:

I have caught perch in northern Cal on flies and I think
it's a matter of finding the right hole in the rocks.

Set aside 6 hours. Find low tide on a full or new moon. Walk the beach
and find the sandy structure. Fish those spots as the tide moves in.
Various beaches differ and will fish better at some particular time during
the tide. A few days later the sandy structure can be completely
obliterated and you'll have to find the new holes. After a while you'll
learn to read the water so that you don't have to show up at the lowest
tides to find the holes. Riptides are great spots. I haven't fished
north coast but Jay M. told me that the beaches are much steeper in slope
up there and that the wind kicks up unless you fish early in the day. Be
careful, even on sandy beaches. Good luck. It took me many months of
flailing dead water before I caught my first perch. Check out
www.garybulla.com and follow the links to the discussion section.

Mu
Old June 2nd, 2004, 02:39 PM
Padishar Creel