What First Got You Interested in Bass Fishing

Old August 23rd, 2007, 03:43 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe

Default What First Got You Interested in Bass Fishing

For me I was just an opportunistic fisher person as a kid. I would fish for
anything I could catch, and in 1974 we spotted bass hanging under a bridge
in the Gila Gravity canal. I figured out how to catch them, and I've had
some interest in them ever since. Mostly because it was a species could
actively chase after, not just sit there dangling a worm and hoping a fish
would wander by. To be honest if I had grown up with a trout stream nearby
or had more chances to fish trout like that I could just as easily become a
fly fish enthusiast.

P.S. Those were the first bass I ever caught.

--
Bob La Londe
Fishing Arizona & The Colorado River

Old August 25th, 2007, 10:01 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Marty

I was an adult who never fished, nor had my parents or uncles. I worked in
an office where most of the guys were fishermen. In 1969 seven of them
planned a weekend in the 1000 Islands and, since they were good friends, I
decided to join them, figuring I'd sit around in the boat drinking beer. But
I decided to spend $3 on a license, just in case I wanted to try it. The
rest of the story is pretty easy to figure out. Now, 38 years and 1000s of
dollars later it's still going strong. This year, now in my dotage, I bought
my first boat, a canoe.

.. .

Old August 26th, 2007, 03:03 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
JOF

On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 18:52:59 -0400, "Fishking"
wrote:

I use to fish sal****er a lot and I did a ton of trout fishing, then one day
I saw the banjo minnow and decided that I would try it out. I watched the
whole redneck video that came with it, the guy on the video claimed it was a
do nothing kinda bait, "Just cast it out and let it die, let it die let it
die". Well I wondered over to the lake one day, rigged up the minnow, cast
it out and I was actually saying "let it die let it die let it die" and
wham, i feel this big hit, I pulled back, not quite a hook set and sure
enough this beauty of a bass comes leaping out of the water. I landed that
fish, and rarely ever looked back at trout again

I hadn't fished since I was a kid growing up on the river in St.Marys
(Ontario). Then last year I ran into an old friend from those days and
he talked me into getting a licence and joining him wading the Thames
with a rod. Turns out about all we catch between Stratford and
St.Marys is Smallies but there are lots of 'em. We usually just pick a
spot and wetwade for a few hours in the evening. We don't get many big
ones but lots of small keeper-sized which we of course throw back. I
just took the bass for granted until I started reading some of the
newsgroups and forums about how much fun they were. So I guess I'm
lucky they're all I've got to chase. 8)

JF
Old August 26th, 2007, 03:48 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Rodney Long

I grew up as a C&E fisherman, that's all my grand father and father
did,, you fished, to catch fish to eat. In my early years we fished for
bass rarely,, we caught a few on live baits fishing for other things, in
my 20's I targeted bass for a while, still C&E, but had little success
compared to fishing for blue gills, cats, crappie, and stripe. Bass
fishing was boring to me,, fish all day and catch 3 to 5 fish, and many
days ZERO, this was just not for me (I was not that good at working
lures or finding fish).

When I invented the Wiggle rig, I did not even own a bass lure, I had to
raid my son's tackle box to test the very first one.

How times have changed, now my office is wall, to wall, bass lures, my
truck's bed tool box is actually a giant tackle box and it's nothing to
have 40 plus, bass caught fishing days. Of course today I am almost
exclusively C&R. I hate to admit it,, but I have gotten bored "catching"
bass, especially those under 3 pounds. I have went to a 9 1/2 foot St.
Croix steel head rod, and 4 to 6 lb test, just to make it more fun.

I still C&E, but only when the wife "orders" fish for supper, and I keep
only enough for that meal, we don't freeze fish (unless I get a huge cat :-)
--
Rodney Long
SpecTastic Wiggle rig
Old August 26th, 2007, 04:13 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
tibbeecreekfish

On Aug 23, 9:43 am, "Bob La Londe" wrote:
For me I was just an opportunistic fisher person as a kid. I would fish for
anything I could catch, and in 1974 we spotted bass hanging under a bridge
in the Gila Gravity canal. I figured out how to catch them, and I've had
some interest in them ever since. Mostly because it was a species could
actively chase after, not just sit there dangling a worm and hoping a fish
would wander by. To be honest if I had grown up with a trout stream nearby
or had more chances to fish trout like that I could just as easily become a
fly fish enthusiast.

P.S. Those were the first bass I ever caught.

--
Bob La Londe
Fishing Arizona & The Colorado River
Fishing Forums & Contestshttp://www.YumaBassMan.com

I never fished as a kid. My father just wasn't interested in it.
After I got out of the Air Force and moved back to my home town I
rented an apartment where an avid bass fisherman lived. He took me
with him one afternoon to a local river and tied on a Devil Horse
topwater lure. He showed me how to twitch it and it wasn't but a
couple of minutes until my first bass attacked the plug with a
vengance. After that I went out with my friend several times and
eventually bought my first boat a 14 ft bass boat with a 35 hp
Johnson. I later on traded it in for a larger bass boat and joined a
bass club. I got away from bass fishing when I took a job in Japan
for ten years. I never lost my love of bass fishing and before
retiring bought a 17 1/2 ft Stratos. I now live on Columbus Lake in
Mississippi and fish whenever I have free time. Still love the
topwater.

John Weathers

Old August 27th, 2007, 05:58 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Joe Haubenreich

I don't remember what got me interested in bass fishing. That question is
sort of like, "what got you interested in eating." It's just always been
there. Some kids used teething rings.... we teethed on old Bomber plugs. By
the time my little sister came along (forth of five kids) my folks must have
decided that removing the hooks was a good idea because she doesn't have any
scars on her jaw like the rest of us, but teething was a traumatic
experience for me.

The mobile over my crib was bucktail jigs hanging on black cotton fishing
line. Maw sewed patches on our jeans with fishing line, and we used
Granddaddy's old chewed-up fishing lures as "keep quiet" toys in church.

When we needed a whippin', instead of being sent out to break a switch from
the bush by the back door, Maw just broke off a section of cane pole from a
pile by the kitchen door. Whether we got the tip end or the butt end was
determined by the nature of the infraction.

We figured summer days and fishing were inexorably linked, like straw hats
and bib overalls, Vienna sausages and Saltines, and cane poles and bobbers.
The first gift I can remember my Grandpa giving me was a baitcasting rod and
reel when I was about five years old. The next year he gave all us boys
whittlin' knives. We went through a lot of bandages that year.

In our family, when the grownups talked and the young'uns listened, the
conversations were about fishing the Elk, Tims Ford, or Normandy, or about
fishing trips to Pickwick, Nickajack, or distant Florida expeditions.
Whenever we needed some more bucktail jigs or casting plugs, it didn't occur
to us to go to a store; instead, we headed over to Uncle Al's or Uncle Ed's
place so they could whip us up a few. Eventually they taught us how to make
our own lures and build or repair our own fishing poles.

As I look through most people's family albums, relatives are sitting around
a dinner tables or in lawn chairs out in the back yard. Our family photos
usually were taken on a boat or the banks of a river, with the person
holding up a fish. We didn't waste film, evidently, on just people; shots
required fish to make them interesting. In most of our family photos, if I
was in them at all, I showed up wearing an orange life jacket or was gazing
admiringly at some relative towering over me and holding up a nice bass. It
wasn't until I caught my first 3-pounder that I even merited a solo photo of
my own.

Joe

Old August 27th, 2007, 06:58 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
John B

For me, fishing was always a matter of circumstance....where I was at
the time. Growing up on an old rocky farm on the Stones River in
Tennessee, it was a cane pole and worms, fishing for anything.

When I "escaped" the farm and joined the navy, places like Alaska, and
Whidbey Island, Washington offered salmon, and halibut fishing.

Florida was mostly fishing for the big Reds, and other sal****er
species....but Florida was my first real taste of bass fishing. A
youngster that lived on the Blackwater River out of Pensacola introduced
me to em.

When I got stationed in San Diego, the giant yellow fins held my
attention for a few years. Then I discovered the big bass in the small
reservoir lakes around there...I was "hooked".

When the San Diego lakes became too crowded for my taste, I explored the
Colorado River fishery....it was a good three hour drive or better...but
I made it often!

Here in Kentucky, bass RULE!

It's a GREAT sport!

John K

Old August 27th, 2007, 07:00 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
John B

What First Got You Interested in Bass Fishing

Joe....thanks for the read!

John K

=======

Old August 28th, 2007, 12:27 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Thundercat

At 12 years old, I had a spark for bass fishing. My family had just
moved to New Jersey that summer. There were no kids my own age in the
new townhouse development we moved in.

There was a pond.

My mother drove by this pond every few days grocery shopping. It
looked fishy. Well, what I thought aloud back then was "I bet there's
fish in there! What kind of fish are in New Jersey?" So we found the
local library and I checked out every book on fishing I could find.

I read every book cover to cover. I bought my very own spinning reel
with the money I made from my allowance (and my Nana). I would spend
hours in the pre-construction empty lots of my development, practice
casting my bell sinkers into puddles. New Jersey had largemouth bass
and some places even had muskellunge! WOW! I couldn't wait to catch
some.

Nobody would take me fishing. School started and I gave up even trying
to go fishing.

Fast-forward 20 years.

Randy invited me to go fishing. He talked me into it despite my
assertion that fishing is gay. I caught a fish. To hear my wife tell
it, Randy is the devil. My personal Vicki Vallencourt. The end.

Harry J aka Thundercat
http://www.gotobaits.com
http://www.secretweaponlures.com
http://www.brooklynbillstackleshop.com

Old August 29th, 2007, 02:01 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
John

Bob La Londe asked: What First Got You Interested in Bass Fishing

My mother and dad. Before there was any B.A.S.S. they were both Bass Derby
Winners (biggest bass) on Lake Hamilton and Lake Catherine, near Hot
Springs.. They were rod and reel casters and when I was about 8 years old,
gave me their old metal rod and Pflueger reel. They casted Creek Chub
Injured Minnows, Twin Shannon Spinners, and stuff and I tried and all I got
was back lashes. g

Dad gave me this old bamboo fly rod and reel he had won, I went to a local
stock pond, caught bream and bass and never looked back, Oh I like playing
with Rodney's Wiggle Rig and Randy's Worms with my grandkids but for me
there is nothing more fun than faking out a big 5-6 pound bass or larger
with a fly rod using popping bugs on TOPWATER. Well, it's fun watching a kid
do it too!

After 50 + years bass fly fishing, I see more fishing in my rear view mirror
than on the road ahead, but 50% of the fun is still the fishing for the big
old mommas. The other 50% ? That's making the bug she cannot leave alone,
but that's a whole 'nother story g
Good luck All!
John

.. .