Line/rod weights and types of fish

Old October 28th, 2006, 07:14 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Oz

Default Line/rod weights and types of fish

Howdy,

I am very interested in flyfishing and I want to start purchasing the
equipment to begin in the Spring (I live in SE Michigan, near Ann Arbor, and
it is starting to become crappy outside so I figure I should start preparing
for Spring now - or at least start asking questions).

My question revolves around practicality and what I should purchase to fish
locally. We have a ton of lakes and one very good river (the Huron River) in
my neighborhood. I would be fishing primarily for large mouth and small
mouth bass and pan fish. Is there a single rod and reel that I could
purchase to fish this variety of species - maybe a 6 weight? At this point,
I am looking for lower end/beginner equipment because I am just beginning
and would like to get my 15 year old son involved too. So, quite frankly, I
am looking for something that would get us started and something that we
could use to fish for the species I indicated.

Thanks for your help and advice.

Oz

Old October 28th, 2006, 08:05 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry

Oz wrote:
[...]

Yeah, a 6wt sounds about right. It's a little too much rod for
panfish but if you've never fly fished for panfish before you
won't know what you're missing and as your single rod it will
work for the species you indicated. I always recommend a visit
to your local fly shop to test cast as many rods as possible
but I don't know anything about fly shops in Ann Arbor, (Muck
Fichigan btw), but I do know of an online fly shop that could
fix you right up.

http://www.ezflyfish.com/ezflyfiou.html

That right there is just what you're looking for and I can
highly recommend ezflyfish as a first-class operation.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old October 28th, 2006, 08:09 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Don Phillipson

"Oz" wrote in message
news
I would be fishing primarily for large mouth and small
mouth bass and pan fish. Is there a single rod and reel that I could
purchase to fish this variety of species - maybe a 6 weight?

For bass, go to a 7 wt. if not an 8 because this will throw
the larger streamers and poppers desirable in bass
fishing. They might overload 6 wt. tackle or at least
shorten your fishing day by fatigue. Besides, if you
go out for winter steelhead or salmon you will appreciate
being able to hold a big fish harder.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Old October 28th, 2006, 08:17 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Oz

"Ken Fortenberry" wrote in message
t...

"I always recommend a visit to your local fly shop to test cast as many rods
as possible but I don't know anything about fly shops in Ann Arbor"

I don't know how much good that would do me anyhow since I've never been fly
fishing before.

"(Muck Fichigan btw)"

Hey now, I didn't come to talk politics! smile

"but I do know of an online fly shop that could fix you right up.

http://www.ezflyfish.com/ezflyfiou.html

That right there is just what you're looking for and I can highly recommend
ezflyfish as a first-class operation."

Is around $230 about how much I should expect to spend on a rod and reel? I
guess, now that I think about it, I spent more on my St. Croix rod and Penn
reel a few years ago. So, yeah, that sounds about right.

Oz

Old October 28th, 2006, 08:24 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Oz

"Don Phillipson" wrote in message
"Oz" wrote in message
news
I would be fishing primarily for large mouth and small
mouth bass and pan fish. Is there a single rod and reel that I could
purchase to fish this variety of species - maybe a 6 weight?

For bass, go to a 7 wt. if not an 8 because this will throw
the larger streamers and poppers desirable in bass
fishing. They might overload 6 wt. tackle or at least
shorten your fishing day by fatigue. Besides, if you
go out for winter steelhead or salmon you will appreciate
being able to hold a big fish harder.

Hey Don,

Does that mean I will need a different rod/reel combo for panfish?

Oz

Old October 28th, 2006, 09:01 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry

Oz wrote:
Is around $230 about how much I should expect to spend on a rod and reel? I
guess, now that I think about it, I spent more on my St. Croix rod and Penn
reel a few years ago. So, yeah, that sounds about right.

You could get a Cabela's Three Forks and a Pflueger Medalist
for $75 if you wanted to go the cheap route:

http://tinyurl.com/ykno2q

But obviously I don't recommend it or I wouldn't have steered
you towards ezflyfish. In fly fishing as in most things, you
get what you pay for.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old October 28th, 2006, 09:20 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
kenfortenberry

Ken Fortenberry wrote:
Oz wrote:
Is around $230 about how much I should expect to spend on a rod and reel? I
guess, now that I think about it, I spent more on my St. Croix rod and Penn
reel a few years ago. So, yeah, that sounds about right.

You could get a Cabela's Three Forks and a Pflueger Medalist
for $75 if you wanted to go the cheap route:

http://tinyurl.com/ykno2q

But obviously I don't recommend it or I wouldn't have steered
you towards ezflyfish. In fly fishing as in most things, you
get what you pay for.

One more thing. The ezflyfish combo includes a $60 fly line. In
fly fishing a good fly line is essential. You can really sour yourself
on the whole enterprise by trying to cast a piece of **** fly line. If
you do decide to go for the cheap rod & reel from Cabela's be sure
to take the fly line they send with it and dump it in the trash.

--
Ken Fortenberry

Old October 28th, 2006, 09:35 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
George Adams

On Oct 28, 3:24 pm, "Oz" wrote:
"Don Phillipson" wrote in ...

"Oz" wrote in message
news

I would be fishing primarily for large mouth and small
mouth bass and pan fish. Is there a single rod and reel that I could
purchase to fish this variety of species - maybe a 6 weight?

For bass, go to a 7 wt. if not an 8 because this will throw
the larger streamers and poppers desirable in bass
fishing. They might overload 6 wt. tackle or at least
shorten your fishing day by fatigue. Besides, if you
go out for winter steelhead or salmon you will appreciate
being able to hold a big fish harder.Hey Don,

Does that mean I will need a different rod/reel combo for panfish?

Oz

Yes

How about this suggestion. Get a decent 7 or 8 wt combo from EZflyfish
for LMB and steelhead, and an el cheapo combo from Cabela's for panfish
and small stream trout, if you go in that direction. Cabela's has a
Three Forks 3wt, (known by many here as the "KPOS"), that is actually a
decent rod for the money. If you go that route, follow Ken's
suggestion, and get a better line for the Cabela's combo.

Old October 28th, 2006, 10:00 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Oz

"Ken Fortenberry" wrote in message
et...
Oz wrote:
... Is around $230 about how much I should expect to spend on a rod and
reel? I guess, now that I think about it, I spent more on my St. Croix
rod and Penn reel a few years ago. So, yeah, that sounds about right.

You could get a Cabela's Three Forks and a Pflueger Medalist
for $75 if you wanted to go the cheap route:

http://tinyurl.com/ykno2q

But obviously I don't recommend it or I wouldn't have steered
you towards ezflyfish. In fly fishing as in most things, you
get what you pay for.

Yep. I understand that. Like I said, once I started thinking about how
much I spent for my spin casting rig it made sense.

By the way, thank you for the website. It looks like they've done all the
legwork for me, as far as putting a complete package together. That's kind
of what I was looking for.

Oz

Old October 28th, 2006, 10:10 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Oz

"George Adams" wrote in message
ups.com...

On Oct 28, 3:24 pm, "Oz" wrote:
"Don Phillipson" wrote in

"Oz" wrote in message
news

[...]

Okay. That makes sense.

In your opinion, how do Temple Fork rods compare with St. Croix? I have a
St. Croix rod for my spinning reel and I absolutely love it.

Oz