Ye Olde request for newbie fishing gear

Old December 2nd, 2010, 04:03 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
riverman

Default Ye Olde request for newbie fishing gear

We get these requests here about once a year, but rarely from a
roffian. So much for that...

I'm looking at buying 21 beginner outfits for my students, to be
mailed out to me here in HK. I already know I want to start them with
multi-piece 9ft 5wt outfits (so they can travel with them easier), but
I want to keep the price below $150 per setup while still getting a
rod & reel that will serve them beyond their 'novice' years.

So far, I've looked at LL Bean's 'Quest II' 4-pc outfit for $119 (less
bulk discount, plus shipping) http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/48827?feat=2136-GN2.
The rod and reel are nicely balanced, the rod casts good enough to be
a lifetime toy, but the reel is a little weak: the tolerances are just
loose enough that the line can slip around the stopper to the wrong
side of the reel when stripping line, causing a snarl.

Cabela's has a TFO 'Prestige Plus' setup for $90 for rod, reel,
backing, line, flybox and chest pack. Does anyone know about the rod
and reel: are they any good (or at least as good as the LL Bean
setup?) in terms of durablilty, balance, etc? The price seems too good
to be true, unless its basically a toy rod or reel.

Cabela's also has a Reddington 'Crossover' outfit for $99 with rod, LA
reel, backing and line. That looks like an even better quality setup,
but of course, I can only go by the text.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these (or any other)
Cabela's outfits, or can make another recommendation for a 4-pc 9ft
5wt starter pac?

Thanks
Old December 2nd, 2010, 04:07 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
riverman

Meant to include the links to the Cabela's stuff:

Cabela's has a TFO 'Prestige Plus' setup for $90 for rod, reel,
backing, line, flybox and chest pack.

http://tinyurl.com/35atxqa

Cabela's also has a Reddington 'Crosswater' outfit for $99 with rod, LA

http://tinyurl.com/2evxo66

http://tinyurl.com/33uejqk
Old December 2nd, 2010, 03:45 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
john b

"riverman" wrote in message

[...]

Say what you will my friend, but I think an 8 and 1/2 foot rod is plenty
long...I'd even wager an 8' rod.

First timers are going to be drifting nymphs or straight upstream
casts...not much mending and such.

Why not set up a little weekend camp...I'll bring my 8 1/2 foot 8 wt and my
9' 5 wt and we can let the kids play and give them a few basics..... I
promise I will say nothing...

I am about two hours away on Mindanao in the Philippines....

....and thinking seriously of the whiskey bars you spoke of

And to every one else, so much has happened I don't know quite where to
begin. I found my "Waldo's 2000 Spring Fling " hat.... I've had a voodoo
experience with CDM coffee thanks to Rdean and I caught some Talapia and
Heto the other day.

Yah...give me a place to set my tent and I give free casting lessons.....as
long as we don't speak the language...jejeje

john

Old December 3rd, 2010, 02:05 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
jeff

On 12/2/2010 10:45 AM, john b wrote:

I am about two hours away on Mindanao in the Philippines....

...and thinking seriously of the whiskey bars you spoke of

john

ok...i'll bite that lure. so, john...wtf is going on with you? are you
now an ex-patriot? living in the philippines? doing what? why? plans?
fishing? sold out and departed from ohio/usa forever? there's always a
story, and i'd sure like to hear as much as you can share...

trust all is well.

jeff
Old December 3rd, 2010, 08:01 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
DaveS

On Dec 1, 8:03*pm, riverman wrote:
[...]

Hell, why carry coal to Newcastle? Why not pop for entry level Sage,
show them some superior American technology and quality manufacturing
for which they can spend some of those Yankee dollars they've been
piling up from the trade deficits and China's rigged currency system.

Old December 5th, 2010, 01:26 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
riverman

On Dec 4, 4:01*am, DaveS wrote:
[...]

Dave

'Coal to Newcastle'...I like that. I most certainly would like to get
them starter Sage kits, but my budget for each kid is $200US for
everything, and Sage starts at about twice that for just the rod and
reel. I can do it within budget easily, but I could use some insights
on the quality of Cabela's Prestige Plus and Crosswater outfits. From
name recognition alone, I'm leaning towards the Redington Crosswater
setup, but it's a fairly blind decision.

Old December 5th, 2010, 09:08 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
DaveS

On Dec 4, 5:26*pm, riverman wrote:
On Dec 4, 4:01*am, DaveS wrote:

[...]

setup, but it's a fairly blind decision.- Hide quoted text -

Merciless retail thugs that they are . . . Cabala's IS pretty
reliable, if they've kept their returns policy it's hard to beat em.
But my info is ancient.

Old December 6th, 2010, 03:46 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Bob La Londe[_4_]

On Dec 4, 4:01 am, DaveS wrote:

[...]

No different than Bass Pro Shops

reliable, if they've kept their returns policy it's hard to beat em.
But my info is ancient.

I've had good luck with Cabelas return policy. They even sent or included
return labels for some bulky items. Had batteries arrive damaged and they
sent replacements and call tags. Had a truck bed liner mislabeled and they
sent a return shipping label.

Old December 8th, 2010, 01:29 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Sat, 4 Dec 2010 17:26:42 -0800 (PST), riverman
wrote:

On Dec 1, 8:03*pm, riverman wrote:

I'm looking at buying 21 beginner outfits for my students, to be
mailed out to me here in HK. I already know I want to start them with
multi-piece 9ft 5wt outfits (so they can travel with them easier), but
I want to keep the price below $150 per setup while still getting a
rod & reel that will serve them beyond their 'novice' years.

Check with Albright's...
http://www.albrightflyfishing.com/it...fit-detail.htm

I currently own/use 3-, 5-, and 7-wt rods from them. Very happy with
their gear... especially the prices!
Old December 8th, 2010, 03:04 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid © 2010

Check with Albright's...http://www.albrightflyfishing.com/it...s/topwater-9-5...

I currently own/use 3-, 5-, and 7-wt rods from them. *Very happy with
their gear... especially the prices!

I will second the Albright. If you can get the A-5, its a GREAT rod.
Frank Reid