Geek help

Old December 17th, 2010, 04:13 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L[_2_]

Default Geek help

I'd avoid satellite if possible, especially systems using geosynchronous
birds, as the round trip transport latency alone is nearly a full second, and
that can be surprisingly aggravating to both applications (eg: Skype) and
users. And while systems based on low earth orbit birds have 1/100th the
latency, they suffer from pathetic throughput (well under 100 Kbits/sec) and
can have coverage issues (mountains).

If radio frequency two-way service is available with download throughput in
the 12 Mbit/sec range you cited earlier, that'll likely be the best bang for
the buck.

All that seems to coincide with what I've determined through my
research ( including here ) and I have pretty much decided on a radio
system with the tower not that far from here as crows navigate. The
service is advertised as 1.5Mbps max and they were honest enough to
tell that wasn't what I'd really get ( but in "that vicinity" )

I'm probably going to have to have the antenna put on our shop ( we
have a tile roof on the house and they won't go there ) and that is
going to involve some trenching between the shop and home for the
cables ( more expense :-( ).

I'd never do this just from my own use. Indeed I go "off line" for
months each year and the absence of Internet and TV is one of the
biggest perks of my summers. However, I "play" automobile racing
simulations and back when the Net was young and everyone was on dial-
up used to race online against people world wide ( including a few
real world very well known race drivers ) and administer leagues for
same. As the quality of the average connection went up the bad
effects of my poor lag started to stand out and I eventually gave up
the online stuff several years ago. They are telling me that there
is a reasonable chance the radio connection will provide a "real time
gaming" suitable connection and I admit to finding that a tiny bit
exciting. The quality of racing simulations has improved to the
point where they are actually being used by real world teams for
'practice' much as simulations are used to help train pilots and
such .... I'd like to be able to try some of the cutting edge stuff.
I'm not too hopeful about any wireless connection for this....but ...
what the heck, I've factored that into my decision??

Anyway, personaO, I thank you for the info
Old December 18th, 2010, 02:40 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On Dec 16, 10:59*pm, Larry L wrote:
.

giles
from somewhere in the land of frozen internet pipes.

don't the bits move faster when near absolute zero .... like in your
backyard ....brrr

Mostly, it isn't so much the speed of bits as the fact that they start
dropping off more or less at random as the temperature descends that
concerns us around here. Most of us (I have discovered through
personal experience as well anecdotal evidence) tend to become more
attached to our bits as they become more likely to detach themselves
from us. And this though their departure imposes no great hardship,
as they are by this time, generally, of little if any use to us.

It's a cold, hard, and notably insensitive universe out there. :
(

giles