Low cost didigal for fish pictures

Old November 15th, 2005, 02:14 AM
Joe McIntosh

Default Low cost didigal for fish pictures

Perhaps I should restate my info request
What small camera do you guys use to take pictures around the stream? Jeff
M, Bruiser etc whip out for a quick photo and I don"t think it is a
waterproof underwater camera. If I don"t drop it in the water do I need
"waterproof"?
Think I just need best choice for a cheap digital----under 200$ would be
nice,
Thanks in advance for your suggestions. Joseph

Old November 15th, 2005, 02:41 AM
Daniel-San

"Joe McIntosh" wrote...
Perhaps I should restate my info request
What small camera do you guys use to take pictures around the stream?
Jeff M, Bruiser etc whip out for a quick photo and I don"t think it is a
waterproof underwater camera. If I don"t drop it in the water do I need
"waterproof"?
Think I just need best choice for a cheap digital----under 200$ would
be nice,
Thanks in advance for your suggestions. Joseph

I thought you were looking for a water resistant camera. The Optio discussed
below is the only one I've found that's any more than 'splash-resistant'.

Well..... not having the water resistant requirement sure opens things up
quite a bit.

My folks have a Nikon Coolpix 3200. They love it. 3.2 MP, very small, simple
user interface, decent zoom, takes movies (video only), etc.

Friend of mine has the Fuji Finepix 340A. (I think that's the model -- it's
the 4.2 or 4.3 MP camera), and loves it. Very simple if you want it to be,
but has a few bells-n-whistles, also.

My digital is an old Nikon Coolpix 2000. Big, heavy, and dying slowly. Lots
of use, takes decent pics. Been dropped once or twice, too.

Dan

Old November 15th, 2005, 03:02 AM
Bob Patton

"Joe McIntosh" wrote in message
Perhaps I should restate my info request
What small camera do you guys use to take pictures around the stream?
Jeff M, Bruiser etc whip out for a quick photo and I don"t think it is a
waterproof underwater camera. If I don"t drop it in the water do I need
"waterproof"?
Think I just need best choice for a cheap digital----under 200$ would
be nice,
Thanks in advance for your suggestions. Joseph

IJ,
You might try looking at www.amazon.com . Select "camera and photo". then
select "Digital Cameras" and "3 to 3.9 megapixels" and then have the results
sorted by price. There are lots of cameras available in the vicinity of $200
and Amazon includes reviews and sample photographs from real users. Since
digital cameras are like computers in respect to price (prices coming down
and megapixels going up), you can get a camera today for about half what it
cost three years ago. For most normal uses (unless you're going to spend a
lot of time with Photoshop editing and enlarging images), 3 to 3.9
megapixels is plenty.

Take a look at the Pentax Optio 33WR.

The pictures I took at Slickrock last month were taken with a Konica Minolta
Dimage Z3. It's got a pretty good 12x optical zoom lens but it's not really
practical to take on the stream because it doesn't fit very well into a vest
pocket. The other pictures were taken with a Canon 20D but that's vast
overkill for what I think you need.

Bob
http://webpages.charter.net/rwpatton/rwpatton/

Old November 15th, 2005, 03:58 AM
bruiser

I think you should get any cheap camera you like, carry it in a ziploc,
and take your chances. Make sure you have either a card reader or a
slot on the front of your PC that'll read your memory card from your
camera and that makes it a ton easier to email pictures. Take 1MG
images and you don't need to edit them down to size. If you think it's
a real good picture or an especially good fish take an additional high
resolution image for the time capsule archives and burn it on to a CD
so you can lose that too. bruce h

Old November 15th, 2005, 12:08 PM
Charlie Choc

The camera I had before I got my D100 was a Nikon CoolPix 880. Look for
a used 880 or 885 on eBay - they're great cameras. Splurge a little and
get ziploc freezer bags, they're sturdier and will last longer than the
storage bags.

Old November 15th, 2005, 12:43 PM
Jeff Miller

Joe McIntosh wrote:

Perhaps I should restate my info request
What small camera do you guys use to take pictures around the stream? Jeff
M, Bruiser etc whip out for a quick photo and I don"t think it is a
waterproof underwater camera. If I don"t drop it in the water do I need
"waterproof"?
Think I just need best choice for a cheap digital----under 200$ would be
nice,
Thanks in advance for your suggestions. Joseph

i use an olympus stylus. not the best, but water resistant.

jeff
Old November 15th, 2005, 01:23 PM
Conan The Librarian

Joe McIntosh wrote:

Perhaps I should restate my info request
What small camera do you guys use to take pictures around the stream? Jeff
M, Bruiser etc whip out for a quick photo and I don"t think it is a
waterproof underwater camera. If I don"t drop it in the water do I need
"waterproof"?
Think I just need best choice for a cheap digital----under 200$ would be
nice,

It's closer to $300, but I like my Pentax Optio S40 for carrying
onstream. It's small enough to carry in a pocket, is 4 MP with a 3x
optical zoom. It has both the LCD and optical viewfinder (though the
optical finder does not present an accurate view of the boundaries of
the shot).

I bought a leather case for mine, and throw it in a ziplock bag for
carrying onstream. It's done quite well for me so far. It has some
bells-and-whistels that I don't make much use of, but it takes good
quality pictures.

Chuck Vance
Old November 15th, 2005, 03:09 PM

On 14 Nov 2005 19:58:17 -0800, "bruiser"
wrote:

I think you should get any cheap camera you like, carry it in a ziploc,
and take your chances. Make sure you have either a card reader or a
slot on the front of your PC that'll read your memory card from your
camera and that makes it a ton easier to email pictures.

Take 1MG images and you don't need to edit them down to size.

This, to me, is the real question with regard to "inexpensive." If all
one wants to do is email pics, post them on a website, to abpf, etc. -
basically, view them on a screen, much beyond a 1-2 megapixel is wasted,
and such can be had for well under $100USD. Heck, I've seen what were
TOTL 2-3 mp units used, but in great shape with all accessories, for
$25-50.00 when folks have to keep up with Jon..., er, "upgrade."

IIRC, doesn't somebody offer a cell with a built-in 2-ish megapixel with
decent-enough-for-the-screen optics for under $200USD? Such a phone and
the coupla-dollar a month "phone protection (IOW, all hazard insurance)
plan" from the carrier might be the ticket for many.

HTH,
Old November 15th, 2005, 06:15 PM
briansfly

Joe McIntosh wrote:

If I don"t drop it in the water do I need
"waterproof"?
Think I just need best choice for a cheap digital----under 200$ would be
nice,
Thanks in advance for your suggestions. Joseph

Are you sure? Remember, you hooked your tongue. Dropping a small digital
camera, takes a lot less skill. ;-)

I use an old, Canon, Digital Elph. It fits in one of my smaller vest
pockets, and can be easily used with one hand. It has both an LCD and
view finder. The low end models can be had for under $200. FWIW, I
dropped my newer Digi Elph, and broke the flash card door. I called
Canon for the part and replaced it myself. Works fine again.

brians

Old November 16th, 2005, 06:38 AM
Bill Kiene

The hot one this year is the small Pentax 'Optio WP' that is 5.0 MP/ 3x
optical zoom and water proof to 5 feet deep.

I just saw it on B&H Camer for $239 USD after a $30 mail in rebate.

If you are not concerned about falling in the water like I do you can get
any small digital Sony, Canon, Nikon or Olympus camera.

--
Bill Kiene

Kiene's Fly Shop
Sacramento, CA, USA