Fifty Places to Fly Fish Before You Die (by Chris Santella)

Old December 29th, 2007, 07:47 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Halfordian Golfer

Default Fifty Places to Fly Fish Before You Die (by Chris Santella)

On Dec 28, 10:44 am, rw wrote:
Halfordian Golfer wrote:

Will you please post all 50 places? I'm very curious to see what they
are. It would interesting to try and speculate. Thinking about it for
even a few seconds I find doing that harder than it sounds. Naming the
top 50 places near home would be hard, let alone the entirety of the
world.

That's too much typing for me. Maybe I should send the book to Wolfgang.

I'd have to think Kamchatka and Tierra Del Fuego are on the list. I
also wonder if any of the "front nine" of Colorado are on it.

Yes, Kamchatka and Tierra del Fuego (sea-run browns on the Rio Grande)
are on the list. A flyshop friend of mine fished for those enormous
browns. His photos were spectacular. I posted some on abpf some time ago.

The only entry for Colorado is the Gunnison River.

The Gunnison is an interesting addition and I wonder if it refers to
the black canyon section or downstream?

Awesome place though for sure.

"Several western canyons exceed the Black Canyon in overall size. Some
are longer, some are deeper, some are narrower, and a few have walls
as steep. But no other canyon in North America combines the depth,
narrowness, sheerness, and somber countenance of the Black Canyon of
the Gunnison", Wallace Hansen.

To catch a trout in such a place....

Your pal,

Halfordian Golfer
Old December 29th, 2007, 08:00 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
~^ beancounter ~^

RW...anything listed in Colorado ? Sounds like a
cool book...

On Dec 26, 10:12*am, rw wrote:
I received this book as a Christmas present. Naturally, I first had to
see how many of the places I've already fished:

Alaska -- Bristol Bay: Rainbow Trout and Silver Salmon Around Bristol Bay

California: Brown and Rainbow Trout Around Greater Redding

Florida: Permit off the Florida Keys
(Didn't catch a permit, or much of anything)

Idaho -- Last Chance: Rainbow Trout on the Henry's Fork

Idaho -- Stanley: Cutthroat Trout on the Middle Fork of the Salmon River

Kiribati: Giant Trevally Off Christmas Island
(Didn't catch a Giant Trevally, but lots of Bonefish)

Montana -- Fort Smith: Brown and Rainbow Trout on the Bighorn River

Wyoming: Brown and Rainbow Trout on the Firehole River
(It was too warm for decent fishing)

Wyoming and Montana: Brown and Rainbow Trout on the Madison River

Only 41 more to go! Too little time left. :-)

On the top of my wish list is Seychelles Islands: Bonefish on
St.François Lagoon.

Old December 29th, 2007, 08:03 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rw

Halfordian Golfer wrote:

The Gunnison is an interesting addition and I wonder if it refers to
the black canyon section or downstream?

It features the Gunnison Gorge and Black Canyon. Evidently, access is
pretty difficult. It says the main show is the salmonfly hatch in June.

Old December 29th, 2007, 08:04 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rw

~^ beancounter ~^ wrote:
RW...anything listed in Colorado ? Sounds like a
cool book...

Check my reply to Halfordian Golfer.

Old December 30th, 2007, 03:19 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Mike[_6_]

I did not post that, Mr.Conner did, my name is Connor. But here´s the
list if you want it;

Silver Salmon on Nakalilok Bay
Alaska
Alaska Peninsula

Rainbow Trout and Silver Salmon at Bristol Bay
Alaska
Bristol Bay

Landlocked Salmon on Rio Traful
Argentina
Bariloches

Golden Dorado on Estero Ibera
Argentina
Estero Ibera

Sea-run Brown Trout on the Rio Grande
Argentina
Tierra del Fuego

Black Marlin off Cairns
Australia

Bonefish off North Andros Island
Bahamas

Peacock Bass on the Rio Negro River
Brazil

Steelhead on the Dean River
British Columbia
Bella Coola

Steelhead on the Skeena System
British Columbia
Smithers

Brown and Rainbow Trout around Greater Redding
California

Brown and Rainbow Trout off Chilean Fjords
Chile

Brown and Rainbow Trout in the Gunnison River
Colorado

Tarpon off Jardines de la Reina
Cuba

Rainbow Trout in Blagdon Lake
England
Blagdon

Brown Trout in the River Test
England
Stockbridge

Permit off the Florida Keys
Florida

Atlantic Salmon on the Laxa i Adaldal
Iceland

Rainbow Trout on the Henry's Fork
Idaho
Last Chance

Cutthroat Trout on the Middle Fork of the Salmon River
Stanley, Idaho

Giant Trevally off Christmas Island
Kiribati

Brook Trout on the Woods River System
Labrador

Redfish around Cocodrie
Louisiana

Landlocked Salmon on the West Branch of the Penobscot River
Maine

Striped Bass off Martha's Vineyard
Massachusetts

Largemouth Bass in Lake Huites
Mexico
Sinaloa

Snook at Boca Paila
Mexico
Yucatan

Brown Trout on the Au Sable River
Michigan

Taimen in Mongolia
Mongolia

Brown and Rainbow Trout on the Bighorn River
Montana
Fort Smith

Rainbow Trout on Armstrong's Spring Creek
Montana
Livingston

Rainbow Trout on the Upper Delaware River
New York

Brown and Rainbow Trout on the South Island
New Zealand

Northern Pike on Great Slave Lake
Northwest Territories

Atlantic Salmon on the Alta River
Norway

Steelhead on the North Umpqua River
Oregon
Livingston

Redsides and Steelhead on the Deschutes River
Oregon
Maupin

Brown Trout on LeTort Spring Run
Pennsylvania

Atlantic Salmon on the Grand Cascapedia
Quebec

Rainbow Trout on the Zhupanova River
Russia
Kamchatka

Atlantic Salmon on the Ponoi River
Russia
Kola Peninsula

Atlantic Salmon on the Rivers Dee and Tay
Scotland

Bonefish on St. Francois Lagoon
Seychelles Islands

Brown Trout Around Peralejos de las Truchas
Spain

Brown and Rainbow Trout on the Green River
Utah

Brown Trout on the Battenkill River
Vermont

Smallmouth Bass on the Shenandoah River
Virginia

Brown and Rainbow Trout in the Firehole River
Wyoming

Brown and Rainbow Trout in the Madison River
Wyoming and Montana

Tiger Fish in the Zambezi River Zambia
Old December 30th, 2007, 03:23 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Fishin Technician[_6_]

#1 a private water that cost $50,000 annual dues to fish for Brown's in
the Stream or River or Lake
#2 a private water that cost $50,000 annual dues to fish for Rainbows
in the Stream or River or Lake
#3 a private water that cost $50,000 annual dues to fish for Brookies
in the Stream or River or Lake
#4 a private water that cost $50,000 annual dues to fish for Salmon in
the Stream or River or Lake if Landlocked

A place where I can be at, where I can feel at ease knowing that my
last days or hours are being measured and I can reflect upon my past
and present fishing friends, and my past adventures and draw pleasure
from those memories and hoping that there is better angling in the
unknown / FT

--
Fishin Technician
Old December 30th, 2007, 03:36 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rw

Mike wrote:
I did not post that, Mr.Conner did, my name is Connor. But here´s the
list if you want it;

Rainbow Trout and Silver Salmon at Bristol Bay
Alaska
Bristol Bay

This coming summer, in late August, will be my fourth float trip to the
Bristol Bay region in Alaska.

I'm very much looking forward to seeing my old friends, Bruce and Willi
and Bevin.

Old December 30th, 2007, 03:52 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Mike[_6_]

On Dec 30, 4:36 am, rw wrote:

I'm very much looking forward to seeing my old friends, Bruce and Willi
and Bevin.

I would just like to be out fishing regularly again. As soon as my
eyes improve a bit more I will be.

I was rather astounded to discover that I have actually fished a few
places on that list! Pure coincidence of course.

TL
MC
Old December 30th, 2007, 04:07 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wayne Knight

As American citizens we'd have to break the law to go there. Isn't that
****ed up?

It would not be all that hard for you to get a Visa to visit Cuba
legally since you've had a magazine article or two printed IIRC. I got
permission just to go along with a writer in the early days of the
administration. If the travel and spending ban for the average Joe
ever gets rescinded, the BASS guys are going to go nuts.
Old December 30th, 2007, 04:53 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On 29-Dec-2007, Wayne Knight wrote:

As American citizens we'd have to break the law to go there. Isn't that
****ed up?

It would not be all that hard for you to get a Visa to visit Cuba
legally since you've had a magazine article or two printed IIRC. I got
permission just to go along with a writer in the early days of the
administration. If the travel and spending ban for the average Joe
ever gets rescinded, the BASS guys are going to go nuts.

Cuban culture
The people , national pride, and cuisine have always left me in a bit of awe
Some of their music blows me away

Buena Vista Social Club - Geart music!

The whole island under Batista was mob owned

Whether you like him or not or his politics Castro is a great man!
And the fact that as American citizens we couldn't go to Cuba is real ****ed
up

But I was never a main stream American boy anyaway!
I thought that when he came to the NY Walsorf w his entourage and his
chickens - I thought it was great and funny
Their passion fior Baseball and WOW Some of the Cuban women
I could run away to some remote hacienda forever.

I have checked out a few fishng brochures - perhaps someday - but I do not
know how much I would really fish.

Fred