Xmas Present List

Old December 18th, 2010, 04:47 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Mark Bowen[_2_]

Default Xmas Present List

On Dec 18, 10:44*am, Mark Bowen wrote:
On Dec 17, 4:35*pm, Ken Fortenberry
wrote:

Frank Reid 2010 wrote:

What fly fishing item would you like for Christmas?
I would like to get a 4 or 5wt switch rod setup. *Since that won't
happen, I would really like the Tomsu's Supreme Hopper set from River
Roads Creations. *http://www.riverroadcreations.com/HopperBody.htm
How 'bout you folks? *You have any secret or not so secret fly fishing/
tying items on your wish list?

I'm still looking for non-felt soled wading boots which won't
turn my wading into a Full Reid waiting to happen. I have both
of the new rubber compound soles from Chota, the RockLoc rubber
and the newer Dual Density ATX100 rubber on the Caney Fork shoe
but I don't feel as solid as felt unless I have the studs in.
And studs are not an option in my canoe.

Has anybody tried the new Korkers ?

http://www.korkers.com/footwear/fishing/chrome.html

It looks like the soles are easy enough to interchange so that
I could just slip on a studded sole when I get out of the boat
and put on a non-studded one when it's time to paddle on.

--
Ken Fortenberry

Ken, I know you don't trust my opinion much, but for you non-conoing
excursions you might like to look at Simms' G4 waders with the star
cleats. I was very skeptical about their ability to keep me upright
but was very impressed once I used them. They are fairly expensive--
$219 for boots, $40 for cleats. I am sold on Simms' products after my
experienc with my last pair of their wadin' boots, which lasted me
around 9 years. You can see both sets of boots at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47362605@N07/5271454006/

Hope life is treatin' ya well!

Op *--THE REFORMED--- Hide quoted text -

Oops--make that "non-canoeing."
Old December 18th, 2010, 06:06 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L[_2_]

On Dec 18, 7:35*am, Mark Bowen wrote:
On Dec 17, 3:16*pm, Frank Reid © 2010 wrote:

What fly fishing item would you like for Christmas?
I would like to get a 4 or 5wt switch rod setup. *Since that won't
happen, I would really like the Tomsu's Supreme Hopper set from River
Roads Creations. *http://www.riverroadcreations.com/HopperBody.htm
How 'bout you folks? *You have any secret or not so secret fly fishing/
tying items on your wish list?
Frank Reid

I need to find myself some wing cutters/burners for my B-Day
(tomorrow), as I don't do X-Mas.

Any thoughts on the best sites or types to use?

Op

I've got a couple different types of burners ... honestly don't
remember brands, been many years since I got them

A couple things .... IMHO, burnt wings are mainly to look kool to
humans ... so choose the profile YOU like best .... I have two styles,
the ones with a very clear narrow base (mayfly, I have down wing
burners, too ) look best to me, and may cast a bit better ..........it
is VERY hard to tie such patterns that don't helicopter your leader
into a mess, they DO look real kool but I'd suggest against tying up a
big bunch with your new toys until you can test, observe, and tweak to
the point of satisfaction. Obviously, the material you burn into
a wing is important, the more limber it is the better so don't plan on
successfully using up those thick stemmed feathers you can't find any
other use for. ( you can 'break" the stem with a thumb nail before
tying in to train it to bend in the casting wind to a bit of
advantage,... sometimes)

lastly, my kid's B-day is Dec 21 and for years we celebrated his 1/2B
day in June so that he got the "feeling" of getting two distinct
special days, both a b-day and a mid-winter-family-gathering-
celebration-not-religion-based on Dec 25 G .... get yourself two
things
Old December 18th, 2010, 06:34 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Mark Bowen[_2_]

On Dec 18, 1:06*pm, Larry L wrote:
[...]

things- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for the info Larry! I will buy both wing cutters and burners
and give one to myself tomorrow and the other in the Spring of the
year :~^ )

I'd better get to buyin' on-line, if I plan to gift myself tomorrow--
not so sure the shippin' costs will justify my desires! Let's see...
overnight shipping on a $10 gift?

Op --Happy B-Day to your son! (from the son of another mother)--
Old December 26th, 2010, 08:15 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid © 2010

Here's an idea for the fisherman who goes to state parks that don't
allow drinking.
http://www.papabert.com/BeerBelly/Pa...-BeerBelly.asp

And, to be sure I'm not being accused of being sexist:
http://www.papabert.com/WineRack/Pap...pping&aff=5102

Frank Reid