Fighting butt, and some fish pictures

Old June 11th, 2004, 12:22 PM
Roger Ohlund

Default Fighting butt, and some fish pictures

Hi all,

I just thought I'd post on something that I was asked about at Penns.
Someone asked me about the fact that I had put a fighting butt on my 4
weight.
I think the reflection was that I wouldn't need one on such a light rod and
that it was too short anyway.
Actually, this might just be a good idea for any rod, without the notion
that you'd ever need it as a fighting butt.
I put it there simply because every time I lean my rod against anything the
reel is bound to touch ground.
Scratch marks on the reel can seem as only a cosmetic thing, but if you get
a scratch mark on the inside of the edge of the spool it will inevitably
affect the coating of the line. Scratched aluminium is sharp.
What I do is I put a very short fighting but on all my light rods and a
longer one on heavier rods.
The longer ones will protect the reel as well as working as a fighting butt
while the shorter ones (about 1 1/4 inch) are there only to protect the
reel.
A friend of mine once asked me how I could keep my reels in such good shape
over the years, so I showed him.
I ended up putting the same fighting butts on his rods as well as another
friend's rods.
Think about it, such a short fighting butt won't be in the way and it will
lengthen the lifespan of your reels.
AND, with the cost of those reels you'd likely want to expand the lifespan
on them.

BTW, I went fishing for Arctic char in the mountains with some friends. We
caught 14 and kept 2 for late dinner (2 am) by the creek (midnight sun and
all). This one was caught by me and was 19 inches
http://hem.passagen.se/alvsajtn/ransaran3.JPG and one of those that we kept.
Here's a 20 inch fish http://hem.passagen.se/alvsajtn/ransaran1.JPG
(released) and a 16 inch one http://hem.passagen.se/alvsajtn/ransaran2.JPG
(also kept for dinner).
They're pretty fish the Arctic char, and tasty.

/ Roger
Daytime engineer
Lifetime fly fisherman
If you feel like it, visit http://www.imsoc.se/angler/ for info on fly
fishing in northern Sweden, Lapland,
or visit http://www.imsoc.se/ffgallery/ , the fly fishermen's gallery.

Old June 11th, 2004, 02:28 PM
fish.iddx.net

[...]

Put a fightbutt on my light crispy SLT 8' #4 ? No way! :-) When you buy a
descent reel (sage or waterworks ie.) you get a nice neoprene casing for
your reel. I use that when i put my rod down on the ground, or place my rod
where the surface is plain grass without sand and pebbles.

Fightingbutts are for fighting fish, and not for reel protection imho. But
be my guest Þ

/Thomas - DK

Old June 11th, 2004, 04:31 PM
Frank Church

"fish.iddx.net" wrote in
:
Put a fightbutt on my light crispy SLT 8' #4 ? No way! :-) When you
buy a descent reel (sage or waterworks ie.) you get a nice neoprene
casing for your reel. I use that when i put my rod down on the ground,
or place my rod where the surface is plain grass without sand and
pebbles.

Fightingbutts are for fighting fish, and not for reel protection imho.
But be my guest Þ

.....whenever I need to set my rod down (yes, even the kposes) if there
ain't some nice soft grass nearby I just take my hat off lay it down and
put the butt in there...works for me.

Frank the careful
Old June 11th, 2004, 04:55 PM
Jarmo Hurri

Frank ....whenever I need to set my rod down (yes, even the kposes)
Frank if there ain't some nice soft grass nearby I just take my hat
Frank off lay it down and put the butt in there...works for me.

I do the same thing, even though my head also seriously needs the
protection. Just another manifestation of my priorities.

It's also good to have a vest with one of those rod holders (I think
some vests actually have two).

--
Jarmo Hurri

Commercial email countermeasures included in header email
address. Remove all garbage from header email address when replying,
or just use .
Old June 11th, 2004, 05:05 PM
rw

Frank Church wrote:
"fish.iddx.net" wrote in
:

Put a fightbutt on my light crispy SLT 8' #4 ? No way! :-) When you
buy a descent reel (sage or waterworks ie.) you get a nice neoprene
casing for your reel. I use that when i put my rod down on the ground,
or place my rod where the surface is plain grass without sand and
pebbles.

Fightingbutts are for fighting fish, and not for reel protection imho.
But be my guest Þ

....whenever I need to set my rod down (yes, even the kposes) if there
ain't some nice soft grass nearby I just take my hat off lay it down and
put the butt in there...works for me.

I take care not to get dirt in the reel, but other than that I couldn't
care less about dings and scratches. They just add character. :-)

Old June 11th, 2004, 05:08 PM
Ken Fortenberry

Frank Church wrote:

....whenever I need to set my rod down (yes, even the kposes) if there
ain't some nice soft grass nearby I just take my hat off lay it down and
put the butt in there...works for me.

Frank the careful

Hmmm.... butt in head gear, head up butt ... there's a joke in
there somewhere that I'm too polite to make. ;-)

That's exactly what I do, btw, when I'm on the bank. My vest
has a loop for the butt and a velcro for the rod that works
very well when I'm thigh deep in a stream.

--
Ken Fortenberry

Old June 11th, 2004, 06:00 PM
Tim J.

"Ken Fortenberry" wrote...
Frank Church wrote:

....whenever I need to set my rod down (yes, even the kposes) if there
ain't some nice soft grass nearby I just take my hat off lay it down and
put the butt in there...works for me.

Hmmm.... butt in head gear, head up butt ... there's a joke in
there somewhere that I'm too polite to make. ;-)

That's exactly what I do, btw, when I'm on the bank. My vest
has a loop for the butt and a velcro for the rod that works
very well when I'm thigh deep in a stream.

My original conclusion was that conservatives keep their butts in their hats,
but it appears liberals practice this as well. Further study has proven that
*either/both* will speak while performing the ritual.
--
TL,
Tim

Old June 11th, 2004, 06:29 PM
Roger Ohlund

"fish.iddx.net" wrote in message

"Roger Ohlund" wrote in message
Hi all,

I just thought I'd post on something that I was asked about at Penns.
Someone asked me about the fact that I had put a fighting butt on my 4
weight.

Put a fightbutt on my light crispy SLT 8' #4 ? No way! :-)

Why not?
How much do you think 1 1/4 inch of cork butt weighs?
Anyway, I've gotten so used to never having to think about not damaging the
reel that I wouldn't want to be without it.
To each his own, but I still think it's a good idea.

/Roger
Come to think of it, none of my cane rods have one and they're not likely to
have one in the future either ;-) but that's all about tradition.

Old June 11th, 2004, 06:52 PM
The Leaping Frog

Roger,

Being humble would probably mean asking for only one of these 20inchers to
bles me this summer but being still young and a tad ambitious, I will ask
for at least a couple!

Regarding the fighting but, I realise how some people can be creative. well,
we all have our qualities, this is not one of mine. The techies might say it
could upset the balance of the rod...
Off to Wales for sea trout this week end and then to Ireland in the week to
fish the Suir for brownies.

Tightlines
Jerome