Charging batteries over winter

Old December 21st, 2003, 10:48 PM
Charles B. Summers

Default Charging batteries over winter

Earlier this year, I installed an on-board charger on my boat to charge the
starting and trolling battery.

Question: Is is ok to leave it plugged in all winter, even if I'm not
planning on using the boat until about the first of March? Or, should I only
charge it every once in awhile?

The charger I have is one of them that suppose to continually condition the
batteries, but I cannot find the owners manual to see what it says about
storage.

--
Visit Charles at: www.thebasspro.net
www.secretweaponlures.com

Old December 22nd, 2003, 01:37 AM
jack schmitt KQ4C

"Charles B. Summers" wrote:

Earlier this year, I installed an on-board charger on my boat to charge the
starting and trolling battery.

Question: Is is ok to leave it plugged in all winter, even if I'm not
planning on using the boat until about the first of March? Or, should I only
charge it every once in awhile?

The charger I have is one of them that suppose to continually condition the
batteries, but I cannot find the owners manual to see what it says about
storage.

--
Visit Charles at: www.thebasspro.net
www.secretweaponlures.com
www.outdoorfrontiers.com
www.midtennclassic.org

My boat has been at Elm Hill for the last 11 years with the
Perma-Charger full time. I have changed the batteries twice during this
time. It may not be a good idea to leave them over the winter but since
I fish all winter and I hope we can try a float and fly trip this
winter, I intend to leave everything ready to go. I talked to your wife
the other afternoon and you sure have a nice looking son. He is lucky to
have a father who fishes.

Happy Holidays.

Jack
Old December 22nd, 2003, 01:39 AM
MMccoy01

I wouldn't leave it plugged in all winter. If the battery gets low in water
where it can't fully charge, the charger won't cut off and will keep charging
until it burns the battery up.
Mark McCoybr
McCoy's Market Bumpus Mills, Tennesseebr
http://www.mccoysmarket.com

Old December 22nd, 2003, 01:43 AM
Eric H

I charge starting and deep-cycles over night on a monthly basis. Know many
others do the same. This is the third winter for this set and they appear to
holding up just fine.

Old December 22nd, 2003, 02:21 AM
Steve Erwin

DO NOT leave them plugged in all winter. I know of none of the chargers that
absolutely will not overcharge. If the water gets low it will keep charging
and burn up your batteries or worse yet catch fire. I have left them plugged
in ONLY with a timer in between the charger and wall plug. I leave it set to
come on for 30 minutes at 8 a.m and and again at 8 p.m. Have not had the
water to go down any doing it that way and not using the boat for 2 months.
I had a Pro Mariner 3 bank and Delco Voyagers (sealed type) and never had a
problem but did have the problem with batteries that you had to check the
water. Had the Delcos on for 5 years and were still going strong till I
totalled the boat in a storm.

Old December 22nd, 2003, 03:58 AM
Charles B. Summers

Thanks Jack... anytime you're ready to teach me how to do the float-n-fly,
I'm ready.

My son has promised (well, you know how a 5 year old is) that he'll fish
with me this coming year.

Old December 22nd, 2003, 04:44 AM
Chris S

Been Charging mine every winter for the last 3 years...no problems here .
Using a Guest charger.
I guess its just what you feel comfortable with.

Chris S

Old December 22nd, 2003, 05:34 AM
J Buck

If the boat is stored for the winter, there's no point in leaving the
charger plugged in,
is there? And that's not even taking into account the safety factor.