packable rain gear

Old January 19th, 2006, 08:02 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Default packable rain gear

I have a wading jacket that keeps me warm an snug when I use it, and I use
it gladly whenever the weather is clearly going to be nasty most of my
fishing day. But it makes me feel like a hunchback it's so large when
stuffed into that big back pocket of my vest ... so I prefer to leave it
behind, when possible.

But, last 'summer' there were many days in Yellowstone that were patchy
nasty, mostly nice but every so often a cloud would roll in and dump some
rain or snow for a few minutes. The overall temperatures are such that
getting wet is not pleasant, and I'm in the market for a very packable
jacket/poncho/something that I won't mind carrying all the time, that will
keep me dry, and that will serve good windbreaking duty when it's a bit
chilly.

When it comes to comfort, I don't spare expenses .... so

suggestions?

Old January 19th, 2006, 08:17 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Larry L wrote:
[...]

This exact topic came up not too long ago, my recommendation
then and now, Marmot. Best rain gear I've ever owned.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old January 19th, 2006, 11:43 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 19:02:12 GMT, "Larry L"
wrote:

LL Bean

Old January 19th, 2006, 11:54 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

"Larry L" wrote ...

suggestions?

Marmot Precip. Or, maybe the Marmot Precip. Perhaps have a look at the
Marmot Precip. The Marmot Precip is almost as good as the Marmot Precip.
Alternatively, the Marmot Precip is an excellent rain jacket. If you don't
like the Precip, try the Precip. The Precip gets better reviews than all
rain jackets except the Precip. It's made by Marmot.

Dan
(Yeah, poetry ain't my strong point)

Old January 20th, 2006, 12:04 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Ken Fortenberry wrote:

Larry L wrote:

[...]

Ditto. If you can still find it, Marmot makes/made a very lightweight,
and packable rain jacket. It looks to be the same material as some ultra
light sleeping bags, and stuff sacks are made of. I can ball it up, and
the whole thing will fit in my clinched fist. It takes up almost no room
in the back of my vest. It's minimal protection, but i've used it in
light showers with no problem at all.

brians

Old January 20th, 2006, 12:33 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Ken Fortenberry wrote:
Larry L wrote:

[...]

I second Marmot. I carried a packable Marmot to Alaska as a spare. I had
purchased a new Patagonia SST (nice jacket but MUCH heavier) because I
was afraid the Marmot would be too light. RW's Patagonia gave up the
ghost (it was old) in the driving Alaskan rain. Steve borrowed the
Marmot and it kept him dry in the rain pushed upstream by the wind. I
used it at the San Juan last week as a wind breaker. It packs up nice
and small, is very light, and is breathable enough to be comfortable
even when working up a sweat.

Willi
Old January 20th, 2006, 02:42 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Cabelas has a packable rain jacket using the DryPlus material. I used it on
the Madison last Sept during a cold front with rain and snow and it worked
great. $79

Doug

--
Doug Stephens
Bear Lake Valley, Idaho

Old January 20th, 2006, 02:51 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Doug wrote:
Cabelas has a packable rain jacket using the DryPlus material. I used it on
the Madison last Sept during a cold front with rain and snow and it worked
great. $79

Doug

Steve at Papa Bear Outfitters in Bethel, Alaska was very keen on the
Cabela's DryPlus line. He oughta know. If you've ever been to Bethel,
AK, you'll understand.

Old January 20th, 2006, 04:45 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

"Daniel-San" wrote in message
et...

"Larry L" wrote ...

suggestions?

Marmot Precip. Or, maybe the Marmot Precip. Perhaps have a look at the
Marmot Precip. The Marmot Precip is almost as good as the Marmot Precip.
Alternatively, the Marmot Precip is an excellent rain jacket. If you don't
like the Precip, try the Precip. The Precip gets better reviews than all
rain jackets except the Precip. It's made by Marmot.

Dan
(Yeah, poetry ain't my strong point)

Ditto on the Marmot,
-tom