Rain, rain go away

Old June 11th, 2006, 03:08 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Default Rain, rain go away

This rain in New England is getting really f'ing old. I had *two* chances
to fish today, but no joy.

We went out to the Swift this AM to do some cleanup around a dam we're
lobbying for removal, and got a lucky 2 hour hiatus in the constant downpour
situation, so we were able to clean up after the local hooligans a bit (12
big bags of crap beer and Riunite bottles and a clothesline pole). The
river was way too high for wading so fishing was blown off (TimJ, pray for
drought the next week or so or find alternatives for book-b^h^h^h^h^h er,,,
Claspy.

Went an hour North and taught some folks flycasting basics for a couple of
hours (with Jimmy) and checked out the Millers and blew that off due to
unsafe wading conditions, ****, it's getting old to look at rivers and get
scared away. A friend of my youngest son drowned this past week in the
Chicopee - and another kid barely got rescued on the Deerfield a few days
ago (by a flyfisherman!). Bad stuff.

So, Jim being flush with a nice stipend from Northeast Utilities from the
casting seminar, we headed down to the Moan and Dove (and I'll make the
offer to any roffian to go there and treat if they're in the area for more
than an hour). http://www.themoananddove.com/menu.html is not quite
current. We finished off the Pere Noel, tried some Paper City Hop Monster
(local beer - double IPA, not shown), some Saisson Dupont, and some Ayinger
Ur-Weisse (way to good to be true - heavy on the isoamyl acetate).

Gotta go pond fishing this week - only been in a river once so far this
year.
--
Stan Gula
http://gula.org/roffswaps

Old June 11th, 2006, 03:28 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Stan Gula wrote:
This rain in New England is getting really f'ing old. I had *two*
chances to fish today, but no joy.

We went out to the Swift this AM to do some cleanup around a dam we're
lobbying for removal, and got a lucky 2 hour hiatus in the constant
downpour situation, so we were able to clean up after the local
hooligans a bit (12 big bags of crap beer and Riunite bottles and a
clothesline pole). The river was way too high for wading so fishing
was blown off (TimJ, pray for drought the next week or so or find
alternatives for book-b^h^h^h^h^h er,,, Claspy.

Oh, alternatives I got, but I'm still hoping for drought. It would be
nice to see my favorite spots back to being good fishing locations
again.
--
TL,
Tim

Old June 11th, 2006, 03:36 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

"Stan Gula" wrote in message
This rain in New England is getting really f'ing old. I had *two* chances
to fish today, but no joy.

--
Stan Gula
http://gula.org/roffswaps

Feel free to send that rain down to North Texas.... what a weird combination
of weather-related frustrations. I passed on fishing because, between the
drought and the heat-wave, I figured that the fish were stressed enough
already in the local creeks and ponds and at least I had a chance to catch a
double-header on tv as a diversion.... and the rain refused to stop in
Boston and the first game of the double-header was only delayed by a mere
five or six hours and they went ahead and postponed the second game in
advance....

I'm staying at home trying to watch a baseball game, because the streams are
stressed here, but I can't watch baseball, because somebody else's fun is
getting messed up by falling water that MY fish need. GRRR...

I hope the water comes down soon for you. Catch a few for me. Hopefully,
my water will get a chance to get blown out by rain while your's settles
down. High water makes it tough fishing. Low water just makes it tough for
fish.

-Doc

Old June 12th, 2006, 02:35 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

GM wrote:

That's one more time than me. I have been only been in sal****er 3
times and not once in May!! Last weekend I briefly met Greg P and Peter
C in Chatham. With a stiff NE wind and unfavorable tide, fishing time
was short. ..

It's too bad we (not you...) didn't last longer.

With a forecast of "intermittent showers," three of us headed off to
the canal on Tue evening. That turned out to be the leading edge
of the Nor`easter, the second time I found myself fishing in one.
Didn't catch anything...
..

Looking forward to next weekend. The big boys moved into Morris Island
this week I heard.

We got one late teenager on Thu.