Which Hardy reel?

Old November 23rd, 2003, 03:35 AM
Dan

Default Which Hardy reel?

Which Hardy reel (and why) would you pick to fish for trout on a midweight
rod, say a 6-weight, from these three ranges, the "Lightweight", the "Golden
JLH Ultralite" and the "Viscount Mark 3 Large Arbor?

Dan

Old November 23rd, 2003, 10:08 AM
walt winter

Dan wrote:
Which Hardy reel (and why) would you pick to fish for trout on a midweight
rod, say a 6-weight, from these three ranges, the "Lightweight", the "Golden
JLH Ultralite" and the "Viscount Mark 3 Large Arbor?

Dan

the Lightweight Princess for a 6wt. Timeless style and a click
and pawl drag system with that wonderful resonating "Hardy" click
that the longer you use the sweeter it sounds. don't worry about
the click drag and big fish.... it performs just fine.

the golden JLH is discontinued and the Viscount just doesn't
appeal to me personally..... but either would also serve you well.

wally

Old November 23rd, 2003, 11:40 AM
@(Peter A. Collin)rochester.rr.com

Dan wrote:
Which Hardy reel (and why) would you pick to fish for trout on a midweight
rod, say a 6-weight, from these three ranges, the "Lightweight", the "Golden
JLH Ultralite" and the "Viscount Mark 3 Large Arbor?

Dan

I own the first two. I would go with the Golden, because it has a palm
flange. If you are targeting any fish that might make runs, rim control
is handy. There was a guy on ebay that was selling brand new Goldens
left and right, about 3 per week. I bought two - one for a 5 and one
for a 7. Maybe he has more. Can't imagine where he came upon such a
motherlode of unused stock.

Pete Collin

Old November 23rd, 2003, 01:26 PM
Dave Martel

I have both the JLH and the LRH. Both are *excellent* reels. You can get a
Golden JLH at John Norris (.com) of Penrith for a song right now--or at
least you could a couple of weeks ago. Not sure if they still have any; but
I'd certainly check if I were in the market for another.

Dave M

Old November 23rd, 2003, 05:01 PM
Bill Kiene

Hi Dan,

On a 6 weight rod, as Walt stated, the "Princess" is perfect. I like an
"LRH" for a 5 weight.

--
Bill Kiene

Kiene's Fly Shop
Sacramento, CA
www.kiene.com

Old November 23rd, 2003, 10:42 PM
Dan

Okay, my thanks to all who answered. I just bought a "Golden JLH" in size 7
for my old Fenwick fibreglass rod. I guess buying a Hardy reel sounds nuts
since I have not fished since I was 9, but for $80 how badly can I get
burned? I can always sell it on Ebay if I dont like it.

Now, which weight should I buy in the in the "Lightweight" range if I were
planning to get a more "modern" fly rod for trout? I guess this takes me to
a more general question: What would be the most practical, i.e. of most
universal application, weight for general trout fishing? A five weight? A
six weight?

And now, where does this take me in terms of my first question? Which weight
reel should I buy if I am going to end up with a 5 or 6 weight rod? Would it
be the Princess or the LRH? Or will I be able to use the 7-weight "Golden
JLH" that I just bought?

Cheers -

Dan (who has not cast a line since he was 9 and yet is catching on fast to
the pleasure of buying tackle)

Old November 24th, 2003, 03:52 AM
Mike

A-hah a newbie gear whore.......I have the ultra-light large arbor in the 4-5
weight love it......right now its on a scott 8' 5 wt it has been on an 9ft T&T
5 wt i have a reddington 4wt that has seen some time with it also works well on
most of my rods

Handyman Mike
Standing in a river waving a stick