New Sage reel problem.

Old August 11th, 2007, 05:10 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

Default New Sage reel problem.

Hello just bought a Sage 1201 it's a smaller reel with an offset
gears.. I fished with it twice and really think it is a great solid
little reel. But when I took the spool off I noticed that the main
shaft gear had rust on all the teeth. I fished in a light drizzle with
it other than that kept it as dry as I could given the fact that I'm
standing in water and my line is wet from water etc. etc...the reel
still operates fine. Just wondering if I should be concerned? or if
there is anything that I could apply to prevent/remove further
rusting?
Any Tips appreciated.
Brian

Old August 12th, 2007, 02:36 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
John

Have you cleaned off the rust?
1. If yes you have cleaned off the rust so Sage could not see it, I would
take the reel fishing one more time and then disassemble it and look for
rust'
a. if you DO find rust after one more use go to 2 below.
b. if you do NOT find rust, then presume the original rust was due to
not oiled originally. Watch the reel closely for rust and if rust reappears
after cleaning go to 2. below
2. If you have NOT cleaned off the rust,
Immediately take the reel back where you bought it and ask for your money
back or substitute another reel.
3. Go fish and then look for rust on your new reel. Go to 1 above, if you
have rust.

Good luck!
Go fish.
John

ups.com...

Old August 13th, 2007, 02:59 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Mike[_6_]

On Aug 11, 6:10 am, wrote:
Hello just bought a Sage 1201 it's a smaller reel with an offset
gears.. I fished with it twice and really think it is a great solid
little reel. But when I took the spool off I noticed that the main
shaft gear had rust on all the teeth. I fished in a light drizzle with
it other than that kept it as dry as I could given the fact that I'm
standing in water and my line is wet from water etc. etc...the reel
still operates fine. Just wondering if I should be concerned? or if
there is anything that I could apply to prevent/remove further
rusting?
Any Tips appreciated.
Brian

If itīs rusty anywhere, then it is defective.If gears are rusty on the
teeth, they will usually bind and fail before too long, and the rust
will cause excessive wear. Reels should not rust in freshwater.
Freshwater reels may corrode slightly when used in salt or brackish
water, because they are not designed for it, but no reel should rust
in fresh water.

As the other gentleman advised, take it back and ask for your money
back. Before you do so, make sure it actually is rust. I have had
people bring "rusty" reels to me, and the "rust" was in fact
lubricating grease. This comes in a number of colours and types, and
some of it can look a bit like rust.

--
Regards and tight lines!

Mike Connor

http://www.mike-connor.homepage.t-online.de/

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/Flycorner?hl=en

Old August 13th, 2007, 03:22 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Mike[_6_]

PS, if you fish in "muddy" streams, or get mud on the line etc, some
of the deposits left on the reel when it dries can also look like
rust.

Old August 14th, 2007, 08:46 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Aug 12, 10:22 pm, Mike wrote:
PS, if you fish in "muddy" streams, or get mud on the line etc, some
of the deposits left on the reel when it dries can also look like
rust.

--
Regards and tight lines!

Mike Connor

http://www.mike-connor.homepage.t-online.de/

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/Flycorner?hl=en

No it's rust. Shop won't take it back say it is a Sage problem. Trying
to get a hold of Sage but having trouble actually talking to anyone so
I sent an email. We'll see. Worst case here can I regrease it and hope
it holds?. It's working fine now but that could change.
Thanks for the replies.
Brian

Old August 14th, 2007, 09:00 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
JT

wrote in message
ps.com...
On Aug 12, 10:22 pm, Mike wrote:
PS, if you fish in "muddy" streams, or get mud on the line etc, some
of the deposits left on the reel when it dries can also look like
rust.

--
Regards and tight lines!

Mike Connor

http://www.mike-connor.homepage.t-online.de/

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/Flycorner?hl=en

No it's rust. Shop won't take it back say it is a Sage problem. Trying
to get a hold of Sage but having trouble actually talking to anyone so
I sent an email. We'll see. Worst case here can I regrease it and hope
it holds?. It's working fine now but that could change.
Thanks for the replies.
Brian

I would say as long as you keep it cleaned up between uses, you should be
fine till getting it replaced. I think I would find a new shop!

JT

Old August 15th, 2007, 12:02 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Mike[_6_]

On Aug 14, 9:46 pm, wrote:
On Aug 12, 10:22 pm, Mike wrote:

PS, if you fish in "muddy" streams, or get mud on the line etc, some
of the deposits left on the reel when it dries can also look like
rust.

--
Regards and tight lines!

Mike Connor

http://www.mike-connor.homepage.t-online.de/

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/Flycorner?hl=en

No it's rust. Shop won't take it back say it is a Sage problem. Trying
to get a hold of Sage but having trouble actually talking to anyone so
I sent an email. We'll see. Worst case here can I regrease it and hope
it holds?. It's working fine now but that could change.
Thanks for the replies.
Brian

It wonīt break immediately, especially if you keep it cleaned and
greased, but a new reel that goes rusty is just bad news. Once things
start rusting, they tend to continue, and once there are pits on the
gears, you will have problems. I canīt really figure out why any
manufacturer would use materials that might rust, even in a "cheap"
reel.

As far as I am aware, the shop is bound to take it back if it is
defective. The seller is responsible that goods he sells are fit for
their intended purpose, and a reel that rusts most patently is not!

I am not au fait with the exact merchandising laws in America, but
that is the case here. Before you waste time, money and effort running
after Sage, go to your local chamber of commerce, and explain the
problem. They will usually persuade the dealer to take it back, and
refund your money.

The reel is not listed on the Sage site,
http://www.sageflyfish.com/default.asp?p=58

Furthermore, if the dealer tells you it is a "Sage problem" he is
merely trying to get out of his responsibilities. If he means that it
is a known problem, he could also be liable for knowingly selling
defective and unsuitable goods.

Lastly some "cheap" equipment is not really a good idea. If it sounds
too good to be true, then it usually is! There are plenty of
reasonably priced reliable reels from reputable dealers, and you would
be well advised to go that route, once you solve your problem.

Walt Winter, who subscribes here is a reliable source, and often
highly recommended;

http://wilsoncreekoutfitters.com/

These things can be difficult to resolve. But there is no point
hanging on to a defective reel.

Old August 15th, 2007, 12:55 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 16:02:41 -0700, Mike
wrote:

On Aug 14, 9:46 pm, wrote:
On Aug 12, 10:22 pm, Mike wrote:

[...]

And if those layabouts at the Chamber don't immediately go tar and
feather that crooked sumbitch reel huckster, call Fulbright and Jaworski
at 1 212 318 30...um, look it up...and don't settle for any associates
or other nonsense. Tell them you want a partner in the "Rusty Reels"
section. Also, call the local police, the sheriff, and the FBI. Don't
take no for an answer - stand your ground! You know your rights! Tell
'em Mike Connor told you that you was robbed! Then go back to the
dealer and beat him senseless with a sock full of moldy sauerkraut -
that'll teach that sorry, evil spawn of the goddamned devil himself!

If you get no satisfaction, go buy a 3-axis CNC, and build a replacement
part out of a billet of titanium, and see if someone like
Northrop-Grumman or the like can put some badass supersecret military
coating on the whole thing, just to make sure.

....or maybe just another day or two and see if Sage responds...eh,
either route...

HTH,
Old August 15th, 2007, 02:21 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
stumpy[_3_]

Some alloys of stainless steel have a tendency to create a fine layer of
"hard rust" which actually works as a protectant and hardner for wear on
those surfaces, and is not considered a detriment, or flaw in the
material. That said, I have 3 pfleuger 1492's that are 40 or more years
old, have been used in all kinds of adverse water conditions, including
salt, that show no signs of ruat whatsoever. Personally, I'd be furious
if I spent the money on a brand name like sage, only to have it rust.

--
stumpy
Old August 15th, 2007, 09:07 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

Well thanks for the replies. It's a shame , I'm ...well..rather
"financially challenged", and made a decision based on name and
reputation and I'm sure it's a rare case. But I'm calling sage
um...often and leaving messages getting nowhere. I'm sure it's not a
priority to deal with a guy who bought one of their low end reels. But
you live and learn I'll keep trying and get to the bottom of it or
fish it till it freezes...Hopefully they will return my calls.
Thanks,
Brian