Help with nymph fishing

Old November 4th, 2003, 07:26 AM
steve

Default Help with nymph fishing

I went fishing today, with a 8 weight and a 2 split shots, 1 between
each of the flies.

I can cast dry flies, I had a horrible time casting the line with 2
split shots. What is it, do I need to do a different type of cast for a
split shot than a dry fly?
Old November 4th, 2003, 11:58 AM
Dave LaCourse

Steve writes:

I went fishing today, with a 8 weight and a 2 split shots, 1 between
each of the flies.

Don't position the shot between the flies; put it about 18 inches above the top
fly.

I can cast dry flies, I had a horrible time casting the line with 2
split shots. What is it, do I need to do a different type of cast for a
split shot than a dry fly?

Don't make a normal dry fly cast. When you finish your drift, let the rig get
downstream from you and pick it up and cast upstream (or accross) in one
motion, using the weight of the split shot rather than the action of the rod.
Do not false cast if you can avoid it and definitely slow down your cast.

Dave

http://hometown.aol.com/davplac/myhomepage/index.html

Old November 4th, 2003, 02:36 PM
Brimbum

Dave wrote:snipWhen you finish your drift, let the rig get
downstream from you and pick it up and cast upstream (or accross) in one
motion, using the weight of the split shot rather than the action of the rod.

Do not false cast if you can avoid it and definitely slow down your cast.

I have fewer problems if I think of it not as a cast but a lob.

Big Dale
Old November 4th, 2003, 03:07 PM
Dave LaCourse

Big Dale writes:

I have fewer problems if I think of it not as a cast but a lob.

Good description. It is also the only way you can cast a worm with a fly rod
without losing it. And, yes, I have done it many times. Kreh calls it a
"circle cast".

Old November 4th, 2003, 03:41 PM
Jarmo Hurri

Dave It is also the only way you can cast a worm with a fly rod
Dave without losing it. And, yes, I have done it many times. Kreh
Dave calls it a "circle cast".

Over here we call it "the field streamer".

--
Jarmo Hurri

Spam countermeasures included. Drop your brain when replying, or just
use .
Old November 4th, 2003, 03:53 PM
Outdoors Magazine

Dave's advice is right on.

--
James Ehlers

Outdoors Magazine
www.outdoorsmagazine.net

Old November 4th, 2003, 04:18 PM
rw

Dave LaCourse wrote:
Big Dale writes:

I have fewer problems if I think of it not as a cast but a lob.

Good description. It is also the only way you can cast a worm with a fly rod
without losing it. And, yes, I have done it many times. Kreh calls it a
"circle cast".

Avoiding false casting is the key, especially if there's significant
wind. If I have to cast a multiple, weighted nymph rig very far, I'll
often let the backcast fall into the water behind me (or just let the
nymph swing around downstream), and then use the drag of the water to
load the rod for the forward cast, getting enough impulse from the rod
to shoot some line.

BTW, I don't think putting weight between the nymphs is necessarily a
bad idea.

Old November 4th, 2003, 11:50 PM
steve

"steve" wrote in message
I went fishing today, with a 8 weight and a 2 split shots, 1 between
each of the flies.

I can cast dry flies, I had a horrible time casting the line with 2
split shots. What is it, do I need to do a different type of cast for a
split shot than a dry fly?

I already have a spinning rod. I am wondering what the appeal of using
a fly rod to a spinning rod is...

(no one needs to tell me what the appeal of dry fly fishing is over
spinning, dry fly fishing is awesome)
Old November 5th, 2003, 12:01 AM
Ken Fortenberry

Sierra fisher wrote:
The best way to nymph fish is to go buy a spinning rod.

SPLORK

You tell 'em, SF. ;-)

--
Ken Fortenberry