Automatic Reels

Old August 22nd, 2005, 04:10 AM
Bob La Londe

Default Automatic Reels

Anybody use an automatic reel. I have a couple. A Martin (I've never used)
and PFlueger ( I have used). It seems to work just fine for small stocker
rainbow trout, but I've never caught any big fish with a fly rod. I 've
always just stripped line and use the spring loaded reel to take up slack.

In a recent post here somebody was talking about quickly getting a big fish
onto the reel so you can fight it. I think they went on to say that you
have to get a big fish onto the reel quickly or it will break off on you. I
don't think an automatic would have much use as a fighting tool.

--
Bob La Londe

Win a Tackle Pack
Jig Fishing - Tips and Techniques Contest
Courtesy of Siebler Custom Baits
http://www.YumaBassMan.com

Old August 22nd, 2005, 05:12 AM

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 20:10:41 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

Anybody use an automatic reel. I have a couple. A Martin (I've never used)
and PFlueger ( I have used). It seems to work just fine for small stocker
rainbow trout, but I've never caught any big fish with a fly rod. I 've
always just stripped line and use the spring loaded reel to take up slack.

In a recent post here somebody was talking about quickly getting a big fish
onto the reel so you can fight it. I think they went on to say that you
have to get a big fish onto the reel quickly or it will break off on you. I
don't think an automatic would have much use as a fighting tool.

And your thinking is correct. There have been several attempts at
"fine" automatics, and of those about which I am familiar, not a one has
been any more than an over-engineered line holder/slack-taker-upper for,
as you've already discovered, small quarry. I have one in particular,
one of several samples, built (hell, crafted, even) like a Swiss watch,
and while I'm sure it's a marvel of design and craftsmanship, it's about
as useful and (truly) appropriate a FFing tool as a platinum-cased Patek
Philippe moonphase chronograph or a pave Tiffany "gentleman's knife."

In any case, IMO, if one wants "auto-mechanized" FFing, whatever the
quarry, one is missing the point...and there are plenty of folks already
missing the point for a myriad of other reasons...

TC,
Old August 22nd, 2005, 11:48 AM
Peter A. Collin

Bob La Londe wrote:
Anybody use an automatic reel. I have a couple. A Martin (I've never used)
and PFlueger ( I have used). It seems to work just fine for small stocker
rainbow trout, but I've never caught any big fish with a fly rod. I 've
always just stripped line and use the spring loaded reel to take up slack.

In a recent post here somebody was talking about quickly getting a big fish
onto the reel so you can fight it. I think they went on to say that you
have to get a big fish onto the reel quickly or it will break off on you. I
don't think an automatic would have much use as a fighting tool.

I have a fly fishing friend who has only one arm. He uses automatic
reels - for salmon and steelhead as well. He uses a pumping action to
bring them in, holding the line under his finger while drawing back on
the rod, then releasing the line, squeezing the lever, and lowering the
rod to gain line. He does well with it. Another reel he got is called
a Franco Verelli. It has a cam lever that rotates the reel when it is
squeezed. The advantage to that one is that it does have an adjustable
drag.

Peter Collin
Old August 22nd, 2005, 01:19 PM
Scott Seidman

"Bob La Londe" wrote in
:

but I've never caught any big fish with a fly rod.

If you're ever near the Great Lakes in the Fall to early winter, give a
shout out, and we'll see if we can change that.

--
Scott
Reverse name to reply
Old August 22nd, 2005, 02:53 PM
riverman

have a fly fishing friend who has only one arm. He uses automatic
reels - for salmon and steelhead as well. He uses a pumping action to
bring them in, holding the line under his finger while drawing back on
the rod, then releasing the line, squeezing the lever, and lowering the

rod to gain line. He does well with it. Another reel he got is called

a Franco Verelli. It has a cam lever that rotates the reel when it is
squeezed. The advantage to that one is that it does have an adjustable

drag.

Peter Collin

How does he land and unhook them? Can he manage that one-handed, or
does he always fish with a buddy?

--riverman

Old August 22nd, 2005, 03:28 PM
Bob La Londe

"Scott Seidman" wrote in message
.4...
"Bob La Londe" wrote in
:

but I've never caught any big fish with a fly rod.

If you're ever near the Great Lakes in the Fall to early winter, give a
shout out, and we'll see if we can change that.

--
Scott

Scott, thank you. I might just take you up on that some time. I've got
family in Illinois, Ohio, and Michigan. Actually I was checking out my gear
and trying to decide what I had that I could use and what I needed to go
after bass in the Gila from my post on "Fly Fishing For Bass." That river
doesn't look huge from the pictures I posted, and its not, but I have caught
bass upto about 5 lbs out of that river in similar conditions. I already
figured a 2x or 4 x tippet I use for stocker trout would be useless except
for donating flies. I've got some tapered leaders from 6-12 lbs coming. I
also chased down a 7 weight floating fly line that should handle those
bigger flies used for bassing. I think the one I have on my trout rod is a
4wt. I have another decent floating line coming with the leaders.

I wish I had taken the time to look at some fly reels when I was at Bass Pro
Shops a week ago. None of my inexpesnive (ok cheap) fly reels have a drag.
In fact I'm not sure how a fly reel drag would work. They all look like the
handle is on the side of the spool. Atleast in the pictures.

For short line applications and tiny trout I've never worried about backing
either, but I've chased down a couple spools of backing. I may take what I
have and give things a try in the evening today or tomorrow just to see if I
can get a few fish to bite. If I can bit I figure I can always upgrade and
upsize to catch them.

Wish me luck. I'll be chasing LMs with a 4X tippet on 4wt floating flyline
with no backing on an automatic reel. I feel like I'm taking on a dragon
with a wooden sword after reading this group. LOL.

I do have a couple larger trout flies that I would never have considered
using for stockers rainbows that might be good for bassing, along with a
botle of small popping bugs.

Old August 22nd, 2005, 03:58 PM

On 22 Aug 2005 06:53:05 -0700, "riverman" wrote:

have a fly fishing friend who has only one arm. He uses automatic
reels - for salmon and steelhead as well. He uses a pumping action to
bring them in, holding the line under his finger while drawing back on
the rod, then releasing the line, squeezing the lever, and lowering the

rod to gain line. He does well with it. Another reel he got is called

a Franco Verelli. It has a cam lever that rotates the reel when it is
squeezed. The advantage to that one is that it does have an adjustable

drag.

Peter Collin

How does he land and unhook them? Can he manage that one-handed, or
does he always fish with a buddy?

--riverman

First, I think Peter means "Vivarelli," (unless it's a knock-off, sorta
like a gen-u-wine gold-tone krome-plated Tijuana "RolleXXX") and second,
depending on the size of the quarry and the conditions in which the
angler finds himself, a one-handed release (or landing) isn't all that
difficult. Oh, and third, Verelli or Vivarelli (or RolleXXX), I'll
still pass on (semi) automatic reels...but, I suppose, I have two good
arms, so I'll modify my previous "no (semi)automatic reels" to "unless
you only have one arm..."

TC,
Old August 22nd, 2005, 04:26 PM
Conan The Librarian

Bob La Londe wrote:

Scott, thank you. I might just take you up on that some time. I've got
family in Illinois, Ohio, and Michigan. Actually I was checking out my gear
and trying to decide what I had that I could use and what I needed to go
after bass in the Gila from my post on "Fly Fishing For Bass." That river
doesn't look huge from the pictures I posted, and its not, but I have caught
bass upto about 5 lbs out of that river in similar conditions. I already
figured a 2x or 4 x tippet I use for stocker trout would be useless except
for donating flies. I've got some tapered leaders from 6-12 lbs coming. I
also chased down a 7 weight floating fly line that should handle those
bigger flies used for bassing. I think the one I have on my trout rod is a
4wt. I have another decent floating line coming with the leaders.

I may be misunderstanding you here, but if you are thinking about
putting a 7-wt. line on a 4-wt. rod, you should re-consider. At best it
won't cast worth a damn, at worst you'll break your rod.

A 2X tippet should be strong enough unless you are fishing in lots
of cover. I routinely use 2X or 3X down here; the only difference being
sometimes it's nice to have 2X for turning over large flies. If you
fish really bulky flies you might have to go to a 1X or 0X, but if
you're gonna throw something that large you might want to consider just
using spinning or casting gear instead. :-)

I wish I had taken the time to look at some fly reels when I was at Bass Pro
Shops a week ago. None of my inexpesnive (ok cheap) fly reels have a drag.
In fact I'm not sure how a fly reel drag would work. They all look like the
handle is on the side of the spool. Atleast in the pictures.

The handle doesn't come into play except for retrieving line. The
drag is simply an internal braking mechanism that allows the spool to
revolve and line to feed out under pressure from the fish. If your
reels don't have a drag, you can "palm" the rim to slow fish down, or
play them on the line rather than the reel. (I rarely bother to get
fish on the reel unless they are seriously large.)

For short line applications and tiny trout I've never worried about backing
either, but I've chased down a couple spools of backing. I may take what I
have and give things a try in the evening today or tomorrow just to see if I
can get a few fish to bite. If I can bit I figure I can always upgrade and
upsize to catch them.

When fishing for bass (and most trout for that matter), backing
basically serves no purpose other than to take up space on your reel.
Bass are strong fish, but they don't typically take off on long runs.

Wish me luck. I'll be chasing LMs with a 4X tippet on 4wt floating flyline
with no backing on an automatic reel. I feel like I'm taking on a dragon
with a wooden sword after reading this group. LOL.

I regularly fish for river bass here with a 5-wt., and when I
spinfish for them, I use 4 or 6 lb. line. I've landed bass up to 5 lbs.
on that rig, so it's not like you're totally overmatched. Your biggest
problem is going to be throwing wind-resistant flies with that outfit
(or chunking weighted flies).

Chuck Vance (you may want to wear a football helmet just to be safe)

Old August 22nd, 2005, 04:37 PM
Bob La Londe

"Conan The Librarian" wrote in message
Bob La Londe wrote:

[...]

No. I have three flyrods. A 4wt a 5wt and a 6/7wt.

As to the heavier line... LMs tend to like heavy brush. When torunament
fishign for bass I have most of my rods spooled up with 20-30 lb braid, and
my flipping rigs are spooled with 50. I only have a few rods spooled with
plastic line (Flourocarbon) for ultra clear water cirumctances. Then the
lightest I use is ten pound.

Thanks. I am quite sure an expereinced angler may be able to downsize and
catch bass or other bigger fish just fine. I have landed 12lb stripers on
6lb test on spinning tackle. In this case I think I need to downsize after
getting more experience first.

Old August 22nd, 2005, 04:44 PM
Wolfgang

wrote in message
...Verelli or Vivarelli (or RolleXXX), I'll
still pass on (semi) automatic reels...but, I suppose, I have two good
arms, so I'll modify my previous "no (semi)automatic reels" to "unless
you only have one arm..."

Easy enough to find out. Hold up all the arms you have. Count them.

Wolfgang
who realizes, of course, that if he's got more than five he's
screwed......but we'll deal with that when and if necessary.