August offered some great fishing in Costa Rica

Old September 1st, 2005, 09:10 PM

Default August offered some great fishing in Costa Rica

Don't wait for Spring to book Costa Rica fishing adventures...

As I look back, it seems that most of our August clients fished out of
Los Sue=F1os Marina in the Central Pacific. That marina's prime
attraction, aside from the good fishing, good management and proximity
to San Jos=E9, is that it is home to some of Costa Rica's finest
captains and boats

I bring this up for a reason - the top Los Sue=F1os captains have
become so popular over the past 3-4 years that even now the best have
very few open dates left for January/February 2006 when the annual
Central Pacific sail bite reaches its peak. Two 42-foot boats that we
charter regularly are booked solid, without a single open day, while
two others in the 35-foot range have just a couple of open stretches
left. Smaller boats are also being snapped up quickly.

So if you want to be sure to hook a top captain out of Los Sue=F1os from
January through the end of March, call Americana Sportfishing
(www.americanasportfishing.com) at one of my toll frees -
1-866-888-6425, 1-800- 634-0012, 1-866-978-5198 - or e-mail me from
my website immediately. I've had some trouble finding proper hotel
accommodation also. Delay is deadly.

To be absolutely certain of fishing with the best, don't wait for
spring, do it now!

As you will see below, fishing has been good all along the Pacific
coast (as is tarpon fishing on the Caribbean side, so Captain Eddie
Brown tells us) and many of the best captains have open days during the
last four months of 2005. Airfare (aside from Thanksgiving week) down
here is also less expensive.

Now for a bit of a run-down. Kent Tomaselli and his family, vacationing
in nearby Playa Hermosa, were able to fish a full day August 3 with
Captain Daniel Espinoza on the 42-foot Spanish Fly out of Los Sue=F1os.
The highlight of a really enjoyable charter during which the four
Tomasellis raised several sails, bringing two to the boat, and caught a
bunch of tuna, was a big dorado landed by son Johan. Johan was so
thrilled that the Tomasellis decided to have it mounted rather than eat
it for dinner that evening.

Dan Ross, one of our favorite guys from way up north in Alaska who's
always ready to refer anglers to us, was in town and introduced us to
Fred Bosley. On August 8, we put Fred and a buddy on the 36-foot
Hoo's Your Daddy, also out of Los Sue=F1os, with Captain Dana Thomas.
Although the catch wasn't spectacular - one sail, one snapper and
some nice tripletail for dinner - the guys had lots of fun and
promised to be back again soon.

Brian Hughes of Own Costa Rica is a particular fan of the Spanish Fly.
Back in town (San Jos=E9) after a couple of months grinding away in his
North Toronto (Canada) office, Brian and five of his friends and family
fished with Daniel again for a full day on August 10. The report boat
owner Nancy Lebo phoned in to us that evening was far from shabby: one
350lb blue marlin, three sails and half a dozen small-to-medium tuna.

Brian is both a good friend and a key figure in gorgeous ocean view
development in the South of Costa Rica that we represent:
www.oceanviewvistas.com. When you're planning a fishing trip here,
think seriously about setting aside a couple of days to travel down to
this project in the south of the country and take a look. The area's
beauty is awe-inspiring. The developers offer you an all-inclusive
two-day stay on their dime. Don't miss out.

Continuing on this line for a moment, we're also helping to sell
Costa Rica's most exclusive luxury condominiums:
www.costaricaluxurycondos.com. Perched on the crest overlooking the
Pacific in Manuel Antonio, these upscale condos, built to exacting
North American standards by an award-winning builder from Santa Barbara
CA, showcase spectacular ocean views and the latest in comfort and
modern living.

Back to fishing - SBC Global execs Frank Frulio and his friend
chartered a full day August 16 with Captain Bill Kieldsen and mate
Randall on the 35-foot Sailfish, again out of Los Sue=F1os. Setting out
that morning never having caught a sail before, the two came back with
a scorecard reading six for 12, all in the 80-125lb range.

Lance Herlong and five of his friends made the wonderful Casa Dome at
Los Sue=F1os their home base for four full days of fishing, three on the
Spanish Fly and one on the Sailfish. Their tally with Captain Daniel on
August 16, 17 and 18 was 11 sails landed out of 20 or so raised; a
270lb black marlin while just missing another; and some roosters,
grouper and other inshore species. The guys also all jumped into the
water for an unforgettable adventure swim alongside a school of small
and medium-sized whales.

With Captain Bill on August 19, the two intrepid anglers in the group
who weren't fished out reported an enjoyable six for 10 sail day.

We finally move up to the North Pacific, where the Briggs and Kincaid
families fished with Captain Randy Wilson on the 38-foot Talking Fish
and with Steve Curtis on the 36-foot Capullo out of Tamarindo. In a
somewhat slow two days, they hooked a couple of sails, dorado and tuna
on the Talking Fish, and just a few skipjack on the Capullo.
Disappointing, but that's why we call it 'fishing' and not
'catching'.

Staying up north for a moment, we put Sandy and Rich Klemser on the
legendary 31-foot Wet Ass II for a full day August 24 out of nearby
Flamingo. Captain Sonny Kocis was in San Jos=E9 buying a truck, so he
left the Klemsers in the capable hands of Captain Rolando (who Sonny
says "can fish my pants off"). Sandy just shot me an e-mail: "...
what a great trip. Boat was great. Rich caught nine sails. The crew was
great. Thank you so much, Sandy". Couldn't have said it better
myself.

I close with this reminder: book NOW for your end of 2005 and early
2006 fishing trips. With every passing day, open dates become
increasingly scarce. I want you to fish with Costa Rica's top
captains, so call Americana Sportfishing
(www.americanasportfishing.com) now toll free at 1-866-888-6425, 1-800-
634-0012 and 1-866-978-5198, or e-mail me via my website. Don't miss
out on the best.