Help with Abu Garcia Ambassadeurs....

Old August 24th, 2006, 03:00 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Red G3

Default Help with Abu Garcia Ambassadeurs....

I have used many Ambassadeurs over my years of fishing and have never
had any problems. Keep in mind I know how to "dial in" a reel. But I
recently bought a 4600C3 and a 4600C4 because of their dependability.
But I swear, I keep getting continous backlashes from both new reels.
I've tuned, changed lines, changed rods, begged, pleaded & cursed these
2 new reels. Has anyone else had this problem or can shed some light on
what might be wrong?

RedG3

Old August 24th, 2006, 05:01 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
[email protected]

I fish exclusively with C4600's, 4 c3's and one c4mag.

The only time I had this problem was when I put some oil inside the
reel and got some in between the friction plates. It would either
backlash or be too tight. I took the friction adjustment cap off and
cleaned the parts with alcohol swabs.

That didn't completely fix the problem, but it did improve.

Still a little miffed, I wondered to myself if I could at least use it
if I dunked it in the lake every once in a while, so I tried it. After
the initial baptism I have had no further problems.

Since I am not at home and looking at the reel, I hope I described it
correctly. The great thing about these reels are the simplicity and
never ending availability of parts. I imagine a good cleaning and some
grease and oil in the correct places should fix you up.

In an earlier thread I heard some one defaming the bait caster in favor
of a spinning real. I have used bait casters since the first ABU 5000
when you really had to hold your thumb on the spool and good ones these
days rarely back lash if you now what you need to do when casting
different weight baits or into the wind. I will take the few
backlashes that take a second to clear over the bail flipping and line
twisting of a spin cast. Most spin casters think you can throw further
with a spin cast also. Wrong. There is far more friction with a spin
cast rig than a baitcast. Just my .02 worth.

Cheers
JimC

Old August 25th, 2006, 09:20 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Milo Milo

have you checked to see if the brakes are bent or even in maybe out of
place