private lake fishing

Old November 9th, 2008, 09:28 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Henry Hefner[_2_]

Default private lake fishing

I went to a private 15 acre lake with a few friends Friday night and
Saturday. This lake is known for large bass and some nice crappie. I
know of one bass over 13# that came from there. We wanted some crappie
to fillet, so we set up a light at night and tried several crappie lures
with no luck, so we got off the lake until morning. Most of us decided
to target bass the next morning, so sunup found us throwing topwaters,
still no luck. One guy pulls out a swim bait and lands a nice crappie.
Two of us start throwing rattling crankbaits and the crappie start
getting bigger. I switch to a spinnerbait and land another crappie.
Another buddy goes to a spoon and gets a crappie. When we go to
Texas-rigged 7-1/2" ribbon tail worms, we catch a few bass. Total, 9
crappie (all over 12") and 5 bass (1-1/2 to 2-1/2 lbs) I would not have
expected to catch more than one crappie on a rattletrap, and never
dreamed the crappie would outnumber the bass using bass lures. The only
bait we used Saturday that didn't catch crappie was the worm.
Old November 10th, 2008, 12:08 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
BassMr

Henry I got into some nice size crappie once on rattletraps as well from a
private pond (70 acres) in S. Georgia.
These were also the biggest crappie I had ever seen, we had two over 2.25 #.
The size and numbers were great but I was more surprised than anything.

Old November 10th, 2008, 01:15 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Rodney Long

BassMr wrote:
Henry I got into some nice size crappie once on rattletraps as well from a
private pond (70 acres) in S. Georgia.
These were also the biggest crappie I had ever seen, we had two over 2.25 #.
The size and numbers were great but I was more surprised than anything.

The largest crappie I ever caught was on a crank bait (a "R" lure) it
weighed 4 lb 5 Oz. It hit 3 feet from the bank, and I thought I had a
nice bass until it plained out on the surface, and I saw the paper
mouth, then I instantly backed off on the retrieve. Only fish I caught
that day,, 30 years ago

--
Secret Weapon Wiggle Rig,
Fishing lure remote control
Old November 10th, 2008, 01:37 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Ken Fortenberry[_2_]

"Henry Hefner" wrote:
[...]

I just know Ronnie is gonna go all net kop on us and make some
snide comment about crappie not being bass, but what the hell,
here goes.

My favorite crappie rig is an ultralight spinning outfit loaded
with 2lb. test and casting a 1/32 oz. bucktail jig. If you find
one you've found a bunch and on an ultralight rig you can have
about as much fun as you can have while keeping your clothes on.
I sat in a canoe right over the spot where my grandpa sank an old
Christmas tree in the Tennessee River/Lake Guntersville and caught
dozens of good sized papermouths in less than an hour. Damn good
fish fry that was.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old November 10th, 2008, 11:06 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Henry Hefner[_2_]

Ken Fortenberry wrote:

I just know Ronnie is gonna go all net kop on us and make some
snide comment about crappie not being bass, but what the hell,
here goes.

I was TRYING to catch BASS, but the crappie wouldn't let me! Those
crappie won't do that again, though, 'cause they were released to the
grease! The bass were all released to be caught again.
Old November 11th, 2008, 07:11 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Ronnie

"I just know Ronnie is gonna go all net kop on us and make some
snide comment about crappie not being bass, but what the hell,
here goes"

Now that is damn near funny, especially coming from you!

Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com
Old November 15th, 2008, 04:31 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Steve

Bass tourney on Whitney a few years ago and a friend of mine and his partner
were in a little cove up river throwing 1/2 oz spinnerbaits shallow. They
never left that cove and came to weighin with 1 1/2 limits of crappie in the
2#-3# class. Never caught a bass. Was a company tourney so no big deal but
boy did they eat good for a while.
Henry, aren't you from Waxahachie? Haven't been here in a long time. My ISP
lost or did away with the newsgroups. What does the resident troll from up
north of the border go by nowadays?

Old November 15th, 2008, 06:01 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Henry Hefner[_2_]

Steve wrote:

Henry, aren't you from Waxahachie? Haven't been here in a long time. My
ISP lost or did away with the newsgroups.

Yes, I'm from Waxahachie, and I was just on Lake Whitney a few weeks
ago. I think we have also chatted on the TFF.

Steve wrote:
What does the resident troll
from up north of the border go by nowadays?

I haven't read anything from Al/jajwuth/canoeangler/etc. in a long
time. I reckon his ISP dropped newsgroups, too. Glad you are back, hang
around awhile!
Old November 16th, 2008, 04:31 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Steve E.

Yep, i post on TFF and THF. We've talked about the good book to.
Am still workin in Waxahachie and tired of all work no play. Seems I'm gonna
have to make a NY resolution, LOL.