a Pleasant Weekend....

Old June 28th, 2004, 11:16 PM
Tom Littleton

Default a Pleasant Weekend....

....was had on Penn's with Handyman Mike and the unsinkable Mr. Reid. Fishing
was tough, although we each had our brief moments of success. Fish were there,
but hatches were sparse(although a diverse group of about 3 mayfly species, 2
or 3 caddis, a couple of stoneflies, lots of midges). Lots of wildlife about.
Saw no bears in the camp, but rumor has it there are a few still around. No
reports of bear attacks from the few I talked to. I did see a bear, glimpsed
through the woods on Sunday morning.
Other highlights: They had lobster on the menu at the Millheim on Friday
night.
The butcher shop in Millheim had nice Delmonicos for 5 bucks or so a pound
(oddly enough, they refused to sell me pork products.....). Frank now routinely
enters the Feathered Hook flyshop by lobbing his wallet through the door.
Handyman Mike owns the riffle above Stan's by now, fish know him by name.......
which might be actually Tony, according to Stan. There is a trailer for sale
next to the Clave Central trailer for $8500, should one be interested. Will be
back to try those damn fish again, real soon, I hope.
Tom
Old June 29th, 2004, 02:36 AM
Frank Reid

Will be
back to try those damn fish again, real soon, I hope.
Tom

It was a wonderful weekend with the two of you. True, the fishing wasn't
spectacular, but the company and the locale was. Did get a good 15-16" fish
on a golden stonefly on Elk. A few others here and there. The Griffiths
Gnat was the fly of the evening. Damn size 20 dries are a bitch to set the
hook. I had so many long range releases this weekend, I don't want to think
about it.
I am definately gonna bring my kayak up there some day and float Stan's pool
in the evening.
Did have one 15" fish rocket outta the water, head upstream into the slow
stuff, then back down into the fast. He stopped moving under a rock. Turns
out that he wrapped the leader around the rock and spit the fly. *******.
Again, great couple of days. That trailer is looking better 'n' better.

--
Frank Reid
Reverse email to reply

Old June 29th, 2004, 02:50 AM
Frank Reid

By the way, mommy and babies were a horned grebe.

--
Frank Reid
Reverse email to reply

Old June 29th, 2004, 04:15 AM
Mike

Hey it was good to see you guys again also......My fishing was not as
productive as i would have liked that riffle above Stans holds quite a few nice
fish Thursday was my best day if i could have brought to hand all fish hooked i
would have had a 30+ fish day both Friday and Saturday were alright.....Of
course typical Penns hatches a dozen different insects and all there stages of
life gives you around 48-60 options nymph, emerger, wet, dun, spinner what a
fisherman suppose to do i say fling out something and hope for the
best.........Sorry i left early guys my fridge blowed and need to get home and
assist in the clean up......Also for your info i counted 8 snakes on the
trestle bridge one about 4 feet long got pictures

Handyman Mike
Standing in a river waving a stick