suggestions for a FF backpack

Old January 21st, 2004, 03:07 AM
Frank Reid

Default suggestions for a FF backpack

HEY! i've been pleasantly surprised with recipes from gringos... not
often,
true, but i try not to discount someone simply by their last name....

(maybe
the way they talk or smell, sure!;-)

I was de-gringoized at birth. Grew up in Chino.

now, seriously, anybody fishing the upper/lower kings, kern, kaweah, tule

or
merced near el portal in central california? all year-round fisheries and
i've got saturday off this weekend.

Got a partner in Fullerton who hits the kern all the time. Will check with
him on the conditions.

eric PAUL zamorrrrrrrrrrra

Man, can he roll those R's!
--
Frank Reid
Reverse email to reply

Old January 21st, 2004, 03:17 AM
rw

eric paul zamora wrote:

by the way, i don't make fires any more (unless i'm on a beach somewhere and
drunk). campfires are quaint and romantic (not hearts and roses, but
idealistically), but not practical and too much effort. ever try to boil
water at high elevations? takes a LOOOOONG time and to use up even dead wood
to fuel that would be impractical and i think, against the law in subalpine
levels, let alone national parks.

Making a campfire is one of the most interesting, and sometimes
challenging, parts of camping. If it's legal, I'll always make a
campfire. What the hell else is there to do at night? :-)

Cooking on a campfire is not only fun -- it's economical. Instead of
carrying a stove and fuel, a mere grate is enough. There goes a couple
of pounds of luggage. If your idea of efficiency is boiling water in the
shortest period of time, then it's not your cup of tea, so to speak.

Old January 21st, 2004, 03:42 AM
Tim J.

"Frank Reid" wrote...
HEY! i've been pleasantly surprised with recipes from gringos... not

often,
true, but i try not to discount someone simply by their last name....

(maybe
the way they talk or smell, sure!;-)

I was de-gringoized at birth. Grew up in Chino.

Sí, yo también. Los lobos me crié en Vista California. El salsa es muy bueno.

Deseo solamente que mi portugués era tan bueno como mi español.
--
TL,
Tim

Old January 21st, 2004, 05:34 AM
Rusty Hook

Bob Patton wrote:
Although I carry some kitchen matches in a water-proof container, I would
hypothesize that building a fire is NOT a good idea (except maybe for

smoke
signals) and that one is better off with a small modern stove and fuel. A
fire will keep you (or at least one side of you!) warm for a while, but

the
energy expended in building and maintaining the fire may add to the danger
of hypothermia.

If you're cold, wet, and in the middle of nowhere,
the ability to build a fire will keep you alive.
Stoves are fine for boiling water, but it takes a lot
more heat than that to get a person warm and dry.

--
Rusty Hook
Laramie, Wyoming

Old January 21st, 2004, 10:56 AM
Frank Reid

Sí, yo también. Los lobos me crié en Vista California. El salsa es muy
bueno.

Deseo solamente que mi portugués era tan bueno como mi español.

Man, I can hardly recognize Portugese any more, much less speak it. My
Spanish is down to just a few words.

--
Frank Reid
Reverse email to reply

Old January 21st, 2004, 11:47 AM
Tim J.

"Frank Reid" moc.deepselbac@diersicnarf wrote in message
Sí, yo también. Los lobos me crié en Vista California. El salsa es muy

bueno.

Deseo solamente que mi portugués era tan bueno como mi español.

Man, I can hardly recognize Portugese any more, much less speak it. My
Spanish is down to just a few words.

Mine, too. God bless computer translators.
--
TL,
Tim

Old January 21st, 2004, 03:44 PM
Jonathan Cook

rw wrote in message om...

Cooking on a campfire is not only fun -- it's economical. Instead of
carrying a stove and fuel, a mere grate is enough. There goes a couple

When by myself, I don't think I've ever made a campfire. I like to
enjoy the silence and the "blending in", so to speak. With others,
of course, there's a whole social aspect, and campfires are great.

I'm very minimalist, and "frugal". I only carry one of those pocket
fuel-tablet stoves, 2 tablets/day, and one small aluminum pot. I
don't bring any food that requires anything more than boiling water.
instant oatmeal packets for breakfast, "coffee singles" (like tea bags),
instant soups otherwise, occasionally something else like instant
mashed potatoes, etc. Instant bean soups are really good (I used to
be able to get a good black bean soup but haven't seen it at the
local stores recently), lots of nutrition. I usually throw in a
couple of power bars and some beef jerky. There's no sense buying
overpriced "camping" dried food when your local supermarket has a
great variety anyways. I generally don't eat much and backpacking
is a good way to lose a couple of the extra pounds we all have
anyways.

I used iodine tablets for a long time, but my wife recently bought
me a water filter for a birthday. It's great and all, but honestly
it's just another thing to carry.

If you google on ultralight backpacking or similar phrases, you can
find some real serious devotees, and some good recipes for lightweight
high-energy trail "gruel" that obviates the need for any stove. If
you read old-time accounts (e.g., John Muir's _My First Summer in
the Sierra_) it's amazing how little they took into the mountains.
Someday I'd like to try it.

Jon.
Old January 21st, 2004, 05:05 PM
Lazarus Cooke

In article , Jonathan
Cook wrote:

Cooking on a campfire is not only fun -- it's economical. Instead of
carrying a stove and fuel, a mere grate is enough. There goes a couple

When by myself, I don't think I've ever made a campfire. I like to
enjoy the silence and the "blending in", so to speak. With others,
of course, there's a whole social aspect, and campfires are great.

Must say I like a fire myself - particularly at times of year when the
nights are long. Can get boring otherwise in the dark. That's why I
carry firelighters. A few broken bits can be a great help. Also
economizes on camping gas. (also I tend to get places by flying, and
you can't carry gas on planes).

I've tried to find a reference to the wonderful Orvis saw I use, but
they no longer seem to do it. Shame.

While we're on the subject, there's an incredible gadget - too heavy
for backpacking, really, though I occasioanally use on e - that's used
by mainly by fly fishermen on the Irish lakes. YOu keep one of these in
the boat, or on an island in the lake. Put a few sticks or bits of
heather in the middle, and water sits in a skin around the outside. The
fuel flares up the central chimney, and boils the water very quickly.
You are then left with burning coals on which you can fry or grill
something - fish, if you're lucky.

http://www.millenniumsupplies.net/howitworks.asp

It's technically a very elegant device, and it's great fun.

Lazarus

--
Remover the rock from the email address
Old January 21st, 2004, 10:12 PM
Willi

Jonathan Cook wrote:

I'm very minimalist, and "frugal". I only carry one of those pocket
fuel-tablet stoves, 2 tablets/day, and one small aluminum pot. I
don't bring any food that requires anything more than boiling water.
instant oatmeal packets for breakfast, "coffee singles" (like tea bags),

I was glad to find those. I LOVE my coffee and instant was always barely
tolerated. Those coffee singles make a decent cup of coffee although I
usually use two per mug.

Willi