fly guide

Old June 21st, 2004, 07:16 PM
riverman

Default fly guide

"snakefiddler" wrote in message
anyone know of a good web site that provides a printable version of a

guide
to flies, including information on the fish, and conditions best suited

for
their individual use? i've been doing a little googling, but so far i

have
not found what i'm looking for. a little pocket guide would be nice too,

if
they exist, and anyone has any favorites to suggest.

Whew, you'll probably get SOME leads, but this is the essence of the whole
thing. Its not a linear learning process, you gotta just jump into it and
find your own way at first for a while.

The simple overviews are too simple to really be any use (Dry flies imitate
surface bugs, usually mayflies. Wet flies imitate nymphs of surface flies,
usually mayflies. Streamers imitate baitfish.)

The more complex overviews are so detailed that they require quite a bit of
knowledge to make use of them. And they contain a lot if debatable opinions
of the authors.

I'd say not to worry too much about flies/conditions/what fish take what
flies/ until you have discovered a lot from trial and error, and just to
rely on a few standard flies until it all starts to make sense in its own
right. Get a few upwing dries (Adams, BWO, mosquitoes, whatever. They are
all rather similar) and get a few nymphs (PTs and GRHEs are all you need),
and a few streamers (wooly buggers in various sizes and colors, even though
I don't think they are technically 'streamers') and just fish them
everywhere all the time. Eventually, you'll know enough to start
assimilating more information as it comes.

--riverman

Old June 21st, 2004, 08:19 PM
Tim J.

"snakefiddler" wrote...
anyone know of a good web site that provides a printable version of a guide
to flies, including information on the fish, and conditions best suited for
their individual use? i've been doing a little googling, but so far i have
not found what i'm looking for. a little pocket guide would be nice too, if
they exist, and anyone has any favorites to suggest.

I'll just bet ol' Waldo knows all that stuff, and, for a few dollars, would be
willing to part with the info. It would be best to get the information from
someone familiar with the areas you fish.

If you want a pocket guide, here are a few decent ones:
http://tinyurl.com/233r4
http://tinyurl.com/2pb8p (patricularly "Trout Foods and Their Imitations" by Tom
Rosenbauer)
--
TL,
Tim

Old June 21st, 2004, 08:19 PM
slenon

on line guide
http://www.orvis.com/intro.asp?subject=48&cktst=true
pocket sized guide book
http://www.orvis.com/store/product_c...subcat_id=6024

hatch charts
http://www.orvis.com/intro.asp?dir_id=1236&subject=254

--
Stev Lenon 91B20 '68-'69
Drowning flies to Dark Star

http://web.tampabay.rr.com/stevglo/i...age92kword.htm

Old June 21st, 2004, 08:20 PM
riverman

"Ken Fortenberry" wrote in message
Flying Squirrel wrote:
You might find this article from the British Medical Journal

interesting.

http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/conte.../317/7174/1678

This is awfully weak humor. Even a premise like this deserves a bit more
gusto.

Lighten up, Rocket J.. The premise is lame and it's already received
more "gusto" than it deserved.

Hey, did anyone else notice that they misidentified one of the flies they
used?? In the pictures, the fly they called the 'gold ribbed hare's ear'
(which we all know is a nymph) is really a fly called a 'Hare's ear", which
is an upright dry.

--riverman

(not bad for a newbie, eh? big grin)

Old June 21st, 2004, 08:45 PM
Flying Squirrel

"snakefiddler" wrote in message
anyone know of a good web site that provides a printable version of a

guide
to flies, including information on the fish, and conditions best suited

for
their individual use? i've been doing a little googling, but so far i

have
not found what i'm looking for. a little pocket guide would be nice too,

if
they exist, and anyone has any favorites to suggest.

thanks-
snake

I'm always curious about what flies fisherman carry - how many, how
extensive the variety. Anyone here favor the minimalist approach - 2 or 3
patterns (say, a mnidge, a humpy, a bead pattern) in a spread of two or
three sizes? I never quite get down to this, though I suspect it'll absolve
me of the sin of having more gear otherwise than I need, if I can achieve
it.

Old June 21st, 2004, 08:49 PM
Sandy Birrell

slenon wrote:
on line guide
http://www.orvis.com/intro.asp?subject=48&cktst=true
pocket sized guide book

http://www.orvis.com/store/product_c...subcat_id=6024

hatch charts
http://www.orvis.com/intro.asp?dir_id=1236&subject=254

You might find this article from the British Medical Journal interesting.

http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/conte.../317/7174/1678

--
E-Mail:-
Website:-

Old June 21st, 2004, 09:19 PM
Sandy Birrell

Flying Squirrel wrote:
I'm always curious about what flies fisherman carry - how many, how
extensive the variety. Anyone here favor the minimalist approach - 2
or 3 patterns (say, a mnidge, a humpy, a bead pattern) in a spread of
two or three sizes? I never quite get down to this, though I suspect
it'll absolve me of the sin of having more gear otherwise than I
need, if I can achieve it.

I only use half a dozen or so patterns, you'll find them under Artificial
Flies on my website. In fact I'm just back from a week fishing for wild
brown trout and only used four of those patterns. To answer the obvious
question, yes I do blank now and again, but doesn't everybody
That doesn't mean I don't carry more, my fly boxes are as full as anybody
elses. Have a look under Flyboxes on my site to see what I mean.