ff in Cuba

Old January 1st, 2009, 03:11 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
asadi

Default ff in Cuba

"jeff miller" wrote in message
. ..
rw wrote:

And where do you stand on travel restrictions to Cuba?

against it, though i do accept there needs to be some regulation or
supervision. oddly enough, i've met two people in morganton, nc who
travel to cuba regularly. one is an experienced sal****er fisherman...and
he has an apartment or some type of residence there. said the sal****er
fishing was excellent. the other was a medical equipment/supplies
salesman, but i had the impression from his chatter that his interest ran
to the available and inexpensive female companionship he claimed was
abundant.

jeff

two cents...

john

Old January 2nd, 2009, 04:15 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry[_2_]

Tim J. wrote:
Larry L wrote:
including the damn fools that think they look cute sucking on
expensive cigars on a trout stream ... I came around a corner of
Silver Creek last year to find one such fellow and remarked, "Oh it's
YOU! I thought someone was burning an old outhouse down." He
put out the pricey turd.

That makes him kinda special. Most of the rest of us would have shoved it in
your ear.

As far as shoving my lit cigar somewhere on Larry's anatomy,
the ear wouldn't be my first choice. ;-)

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old January 5th, 2009, 11:48 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Lazarus Cooke

For those few Roffians left who care about this (probably the most
important issue for the security of Americans and British but.....)
there's a very intelligent comment by a right-wing Brit in today's
Indepnedent. I don't agree with all of it, but it's all very astute.

It finishes by saying:

The likelihood is that the Israelis will learn the wrong lessons from
Gaza, comforting themselves with the thought that we can always beat
them if we have to. If so, there is trouble ahead and every likelihood
of a ghastly ending. Israel was created partly to ensure that there
could never be another holocaust. Generals are sometimes accused of
planning for the last war. Israel is in danger of planning to avert the
last Holocaust and ignoring the threat of the next one.

the article is at

http://preview.tinyurl.com/7h5sad

Lazarus
Old January 6th, 2009, 12:41 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
riverman

On Jan 6, 7:48*am, Lazarus Cooke
wrote:
[...]

I've stayed out of this discussion so far, but for what its worth, I
think a quick review of the Battle of Jenin a few years ago is
illustrative. There are a LOT of similarities....the rationale for
attack, global opinion and Israeli antipathy, accusations of massacre,
denial of a humanitarian crisis, barring journalists and observers,
etc. Certainly there has been history-rewriting since then (something
that is edemic in the region, from all sides), but overall, hindsight
is beneficial. It would not surprise me one bit if Israel refuses to
allow the UN to conduct a fact-finding mission to Gaza afterwards.

I have a lot of familiarity with the region: I taught and lived in
Israel for 4 years, SWMBO holds an Israeli passport and she has
numerous relatives there, some in Askelon and Beersheva (both towns
directly affected by missiles), I have visted the West Bank and Gaza
extensively and know the conditions there firsthand, and I also am
deeply familiar with the stubbornness of the Israeli bureaucracy. In
general, my sympathies run with the Palestinians who I believe have
gotten a very raw deal, but they are far from guiltless in their own
situation. However, I also know that, to the collective Israeli mind,
one Israeli injury is not balanced out by a thousand Palestinian
deaths, and the intellectual debate about human rights ends when they
feel threatened, regarless of the reality of, or magnitude of, that
threat.

The least productive way to approach this issue is to dig in to a
simplistic point of view at the expense of mitigating factors. As one
security guard wisely stated: everyone is right, everyone is wrong.

--riverman