Looking for N. Pike guide

Old December 19th, 2003, 12:11 AM
Adam

Default Looking for N. Pike guide

And I'm also looking for someone to fish northerns with.
As none of my friends fly fish, here's the deal.
1. Want to fish northerns when there is the best opportunity to catch
them on the surface (ice-in or ice-out, Canada)
2. Need a destination that I can get there on Continental (or their
partners') frequent flyer points
3. If the lodge/guide charges as a double then I'd like to have someone
join me.
4. Looking to fish for 5-6 days
5. If I can go at a single price that isn't extreme, then I'd go by myself
I'm an experienced flyrodder who has traveled to warmer climes fishing
bones, tarpon and permit. My choice of travel fishing is obviously
sight fishing. But when I'm in NJ for 6 months of the year, I
thoroughly enjoy surface pickerel fishing. So I figure that topwater
fly fishing northerns would would be outragious.
Adam

--
To email, erase "forgetit"
Old December 19th, 2003, 12:31 AM
JohnR

South of Calgary, Alberta is a prarie pothole lake called Badger Lake. I
fished there with a guide named Jamil Gotmy. He is known as THE Northern
Pike guide for fly fishermen in the Calgary area.

I fished with him in early June 1999 and had a great time. The water temp
was in the 50s and warmed up to around 62 degrees. The fishing just got
better and better as the day warmed up. I ended up catching what I consider
a "lifetime" fish - a pike around 41" long.

If I remember correctly, Continental serves Calgary. At least back then,
they had a direct flight from Houston to Calgary. Must have been the
oilmen's flight.

I got Jamil through Country Pleasures fly shop in Calgary. He seems to be
very well known.

http://www.countrypleasures.com/

Hope this helps the planning process.

-John

Old December 19th, 2003, 08:09 AM
Chas Wade

You need to consider going farther north. Great Slave Lake is
fantastic. I've been there 5 times now, and caught several fish over
40 inches and a fish of 45 or more each trip. Surface and sight
fishing are great when the weather cooperates, that's about half the
time. At other times a sink tip seems to work best. Check out
www.enodah.com for the resort I've been going to. You'll need Air
Canada to get to Yellowknife, I don't know if they talk to Continental.
I'm working on a trip next June, and could use some company.

Chas
remove fly fish to reply
http://home.comcast.net/~chas.wade/w...ome.html-.html
San Juan Pictures at:
http://home.comcast.net/~chasepike/wsb/index.html

Old December 19th, 2003, 05:56 PM
Adam

Chas Wade wrote:

You need to consider going farther north. Great Slave Lake is
fantastic. I've been there 5 times now, and caught several fish over
40 inches and a fish of 45 or more each trip. Surface and sight
fishing are great when the weather cooperates, that's about half the
time. At other times a sink tip seems to work best. Check out
www.enodah.com for the resort I've been going to. You'll need Air
Canada to get to Yellowknife, I don't know if they talk to Continental.
I'm working on a trip next June, and could use some company.

Chas
remove fly fish to reply
http://home.comcast.net/~chas.wade/w...ome.html-.html
San Juan Pictures at:
http://home.comcast.net/~chasepike/wsb/index.html

Chas,

I'm bummed out! Would have really liked to get up to Slave Lake with
you, but Continental (and its partners) don't get up there. Just too
much $ if I have to pay for my airfare. Any other suggestions?
Adam

--
To email, erase "forgetit"
Old December 19th, 2003, 10:14 PM
Willi

Adam wrote:

Chas Wade wrote:

[...]

Chas' recommendation about the far north is a good one. The far north is
a very big area and there's lots of choices. You're not going to find
a Continental flight on the last leg of the flight and it's the last leg
that gets you into the remote fishing. The planes are small and usually
locally owned. If you had more time, a canoe will also get you into some
remote areas.

Willi

Old December 20th, 2003, 06:22 AM
Chas Wade

Adam wrote:

I'm bummed out! Would have really liked to get up to Slave Lake with
you, but Continental (and its partners) don't get up there. Just too
much $ if I have to pay for my airfare. Any other suggestions?

If you can get to Edmonton or possibly Saskatoon, you're in range of
some other great lakes. I don't know the specifics, but Alberta and
Saskatchewan are famous. I used to fish Ontario just north of
Minnesota, but I hear they are overfished now. I'll go back there one
of these days for the nostalgia, but it hasn't happened in 25 years or
so.

If you find something and need some company, post again or email me,
I'd like a chance to think about it.

Good Luck,

Old December 20th, 2003, 12:14 PM
riverman

"Willi" wrote in message

If you had more time, a canoe will also get you into some
remote areas.

Willi: how come we weren't born at the same time in the same region?? By
now, you'd have another dozen wilderness rivers under your canoeing belt,
and I'd be a better flyfisherman!!

--riverman

Old December 20th, 2003, 03:19 PM
Adam

Willi wrote:

Adam wrote:

Chas Wade wrote:

[...]

Hi Willi,

Nice to know that I'm the right track. I do have a canoe, but I think
it would be a bit much to lug it up there (hehehe). But if I read your
message right, I guess I should be looking at a place in the far north
that Continental or one of its partners will tke me to. Certainly heard
of Slave Lake, but I don't think it is in my stars.

Adam

--
To email, erase "forgetit"
Old December 21st, 2003, 05:24 PM
Willi

riverman wrote:

"Willi" wrote in message

If you had more time, a canoe will also get you into some
remote areas.

Willi: how come we weren't born at the same time in the same region?? By
now, you'd have another dozen wilderness rivers under your canoeing belt,
and I'd be a better flyfisherman!!

--riverman

I'm not dead or incapacitated yet and a canoe trip in northern Canada is
something I'd like to do again. I just need to get "more retired" so I
can free up the weeks needed for a trip like that.

Willi

Old December 21st, 2003, 05:34 PM
Willi

Adam wrote:

Nice to know that I'm the right track. I do have a canoe, but I think
it would be a bit much to lug it up there (hehehe). But if I read your
message right, I guess I should be looking at a place in the far north
that Continental or one of its partners will tke me to. Certainly heard
of Slave Lake, but I don't think it is in my stars.

Adam

If you're willing to camp, another possibility is to get as far as you
can with Continental and then contract with a local pilot to take you
and a canoe into some "inaccessible" water. This would be relatively
inexpensive, but I would suggest doing that with at least one other
person in case something happens.

Willi