TR: Penns in the mourning (long)

Old August 23rd, 2004, 01:01 PM
Frank Reid

Default TR: Penns in the mourning (long)

Oh happy day. Bad week at work, Thursday night I drive up to Hemlock
Acres to meet Clavemeister Tom for a weekend of fishing Penns. Took a
different route, watched a guy carving a stump with a chain saw. He was
making a bear. Stuck in traffic in a small town for 45 minutes as they
resurfaced the street.
Ended up at Penns clave central at about 5:30. Drank a beer. Waiting
for the imminent arrival of Tom. Hmmm, where is he. Check the phone.
Nope. Have another beer. Light a fire. Watch a black bear run through
the tenting area. Read. Have another beer. Make fire bigger. Read.
No light left. Need more wood. Start to pry up the deck. Open another
beer. Tom finally makes it at about 8:30.
We chat about things and decide to head out early for Spring Creek.
Fishing is slow. Tom does get 30 inches of fish. Unfortunately, that
was from 9 trout. I'm skunked. One little guy on a long range release.
See some beautiful fish rise to my fly (#18 tan caddis). I did find
out that these are genetically altered trout. PSU has ensured that
these guys won't hit unless you're wearing a Joe Paterno mask.
We decide to go into State College at about 12:30 to visit Fly
Fishermen's Paradise. Cruising through town, its Freshman Orientation
Week. Confused teenagers following Mom around. Mom's got a notebook,
Dad is carrying 248 lbs of school supplies. After an hour, we decide we
don't need directions (hell, we're men), but an address would help.
After a check of a phone book, we quickly find the store (that we passed
on the way into town an hour before) and drop some cash on tying
materials.
On the way back to Coburn, we stop for lunch. Clouds are ominous. Wind
is bending the trees like a tarpon on a two weight. After breaking our
fast, we hit the road. Windshield wipers sing "No Fish, No Fish, No
Fish." Sheets of water rise up from the road in homeric violence, the
sky blends perfectly with the shades of the wet slate hills. We pull
into Burkhalters grocery just to get off the road and wait for the
passing of the deluge.
When the storm drizzles out, we head to the cabin. Dry off, and tie
some flies. At about 5:30, we head out to Stan's pool. We kit up, but
every time we venture from under the trees, another storm passes over.
Back out, cast for 5 minutes, get off the water as the lightning pierces
the valley's heart. We continue in this vein for 2 hours. No fish,
new, stronger storm coming, time to call it a day.
Sally forth on Saturday morning. Hmm, still raining. At 11:00 the rain
lets up. Penns is now a Starbucks chocolate mocha, venti. Head to
Weikert Run. Promising. Fish in the pool at the bridge. We move
upstream and park. Tom goes downstream, I, in my ignorance, go up.
Encounter dense mountain laurel that gets me low crawling, right into a
biting gnat infested bog. These gnats have been cross-bred with the
local black bears. Not seen so many big, hairy blood-suckers since the
ex-wives and IRS agents for Bush convention.
Walk back down the road. Tom is at the bridge. He's gotten two rises
out of fish at the bridge pool. We give up, check out Cherry Run. Same
situation. No fish.
We're beaten. We head back and drown our sorrows in T-bones and
Delmonicos. Sunday, we go our separate ways, beaten, but not defeated.
We will be back.

--
Frank Reid
Reverse Email to reply

Old August 23rd, 2004, 01:28 PM
Tim J.

Default Penns in the mourning (long)

"Frank Reid" wrote...
snip
After an hour, we decide we
don't need directions (hell, we're men),

Damn straight! Nice near-fishless TR, Frank, but you seem to have left out all
of the diving experiences.
--
TL,
Tim

Old August 23rd, 2004, 02:17 PM
Mike

Well i guess i'm glad i couldn't make it but would have been nice to just get
away....... You guys should have gone to young womens creek fish are always
biting there....How did the trailer fare in all this weather??????????

Handyman Mike
Standing in a river waving a stick

Old August 23rd, 2004, 03:57 PM
Frank Reid

Damn straight! Nice near-fishless TR, Frank, but you seem to have left out all
of the diving experiences.

When you can't get in the water, you can't swim. I had planned (during
the week) on using the float tube Saturday night, but the water was so
high, I would have ended up in the Chesapeake.
We did, however, find a wonderful spring pool next to the bridge on
Cherry Run. Full of 24"+ trout. Unfortunately, it was guarded by an
especially vicious springer spaniel and a chalked no fishing sign.
Thought that a trip to Cabelas for some night vision goggles and
"scent-block" camo clothing might be in order.
The small streams, Cherry and Weikert, would have classified as sterile.
Nothing moving, even in the fishiest water.
--
Frank Reid
Reverse Email to reply

Old August 23rd, 2004, 04:02 PM
Frank Reid

Mike wrote:

Well i guess i'm glad i couldn't make it but would have been nice to just get
away....... You guys should have gone to young womens creek fish are always
biting there....How did the trailer fare in all this weather??????????

Trailer was fine, aside from the damage done by Tom after the black
beans and rice. Need a couple of light bulbs and the chipmunks ate the
other gas line. Water drained well from awning. I did dishes, so I can
say that you need a new faucet for the kitchen sink. That one just
pours water all over the place so I cut out the sink with a saws all.
Did have to use your pipe wrench to "fix" Bruce's Renzetti vise and also
to unzip my damn sleeping bag on Sunday morning.

--
Frank Reid
Reverse Email to reply

Old August 23rd, 2004, 04:09 PM
Lat705

Trailer?? Does this mean Frank has given up Marsh Tenting??

Lou T
Old August 23rd, 2004, 11:58 PM
Tom Littleton

Mike notes:
You guys should have gone to young womens creek fish are always
biting there....

as it didn't stop raining Saturday until near noon, it seemed a long drive for
dubious conditions.....
Tom
Old August 24th, 2004, 12:00 AM
Tom Littleton

Lou wonders:
Trailer?? Does this mean Frank has given up Marsh Tenting??

no, he justs brings the marsh with him.....in the back of his truck!!
Tom
Old August 24th, 2004, 12:00 AM
Tom Littleton

Lou wonders:

Old August 24th, 2004, 02:06 AM
vincent p. norris

You guys should have gone to young womens creek fish are always
biting there....

as it didn't stop raining Saturday until near noon, it seemed a long drive for
dubious conditions.....
Tom

To judge by the flow gage, you would have found it pretty high on
Saturday, Tom.

vince