The Scent of Your Bait

Old July 25th, 2005, 09:14 PM
TheBassMan

Default The Scent of Your Bait

Hello fellow angler,

Just wanted to share an impornat piece of advice that had recently
smacked me in the face.

Most of you are probably well aware that the scent of your bait can
give it a large advantage, especially in situations where there's a lot
of other anglers on the lake.

However, you must also make sure that you boat doesn't reek of GAS.
This just happened to me. I was to lazy about cleaning some gas out of
my boat, and then I suddenly realized I hadn't hooked any pass for the
whole morning.

Then it hit me, the boat was laden with gas odor and undoubtedly, the
bait took on some of it. So, if you're having some unusually poor
results, check that there isn't any gas vapor etc. in the boat, as the
bass don't like it one bit.

Be chatting again soon,
Cory Friedman

Bass Fishing Confessions: Check Out What a Bass Fishing
Professional With Over 20 Years Experience Has To Say When He
Reveals His Powerful Tips and Techniques! Follow this link:

http://www.airsoft-guns-or-rifles.com/bass-letter.html"

Old July 25th, 2005, 09:32 PM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"TheBassMan" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

I'm sure that RichZ will argue that point with you. I feel that scent is
fairly low on the scale of attractiveness to bass. However, with many
anglers, it is a confidence factor and that is HUGE.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old July 25th, 2005, 09:53 PM
Rich P

Scent may have little to do with attracting a strike, but I think it can
help you keep a bait in the bass' mouth longer. I use Mega-Strike most of
the time and I'd swear it makes the fish hold my soft plastics longer. I
believe I catch more bass because of it. Maybe not, but it can't hurt and
it's not real expensive. One $7 tube lasts all season and so far since I've
started using it I've been in the money 4 out of the past 5 tournaments I've
fished in my club. I'm a believer.

Rich P

"Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers" wrote in
message ...

Old July 26th, 2005, 12:22 AM
Steve & Chris Clark

I must agree with that Rich, it is not an attractant but a savoury sauce,
and salt is present with any creature that has blood. Enough ketch-up can
make even the worst armadillobok meatloaf a veritable delecasee!
(Curly of the three stooges says)
--
Steve

Old July 26th, 2005, 01:38 AM
RichZ

Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers wrote:

I'm sure that RichZ will argue that point with you.

Nope. I've given up arguing that point. If people want to spend money
and effort on it, it's no skin off my back, and I'm not wasting any more
of my time thinking about it. Except my one time reply to RichP in the
Old July 26th, 2005, 02:00 AM
RichZ

Rich P wrote:
Maybe not, but it can't hurt...

Sorry to come down on you Rich, but I've just read this rationale one
too many times. Exactly how do you know that it can't hurt?
Old July 26th, 2005, 03:49 AM
alwaysfishking

This would be to say that all fish have exactly the same behavior when it
comes to scent color etc. Hard to believe. I do use scents, Dip and glow
garlic, have I noticed a difference, yup, could it work against me... yup.
What fish like one day they might not like the next. IMO

Old July 26th, 2005, 05:54 AM
Marty

"Rich P" wrote in message
I believe I catch more bass because of it. Maybe not, but it can't hurt

I won't go into the gory details, because I did that a couple of years ago
and was shot down by a prominent member of this forum, however, I'm 99.9%
convinced that on one occasion the scent I was using (Baitmate crawfish)
actually repelled the bass.

Old July 26th, 2005, 01:48 PM
Rich P

My reply to Rich Z, I don't know for sure. What I do know is that my
numbers seem to have gone up since I started using it. What I also know is
that when other guys are struggling to avoid getting skunked I'm putting my
3rd or 4th fish in the live-well. Maybe I'm just getting better at finding
them? Maybe my presentation has improved recently? But I've been
slathering my Senkos in Mega-Strike for almost a year and my stats have
improved markedly. I can't say I'm ready to stop using it just yet.
That said, I don't know what a fish can taste or smell and how that
affects things for sure. I would not be surprised if some "attractants" do
more harm than good, but I'm fairly convinced that this one in particular
makes them want to eat my bait. Maybe one day I will think otherwise
though, I'm flexible when it comes to fishing.

Rich P

Old July 27th, 2005, 03:46 PM
Bob La Londe

"RichZ" wrote in message
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers wrote:

I'm sure that RichZ will argue that point with you.

Nope. I've given up arguing that point. If people want to spend money and
effort on it, it's no skin off my back, and I'm not wasting any more of my
time thinking about it. Except my one time reply to RichP in the next
message in this thread.G

Well, I am not convinced that it makes any difference in how many hits you
get. I am pretty convinced it makes huge differences in how long a fish
holds a bait.

I noticed it when I first started using salt impregnated plastics. I used
to fish almost exclusively u-tail and ribbon tail style worms. One day I
got ahold of some Zoom U-tails and I started dropping them into shadows,
eddies, and back washes in the canals. Its pretty hard to fish those
conditions with the current on a tight line and get the bait to drop where
you want it. So I started deadsticking it and pulling the line tight every
couple seconds to see if it was moving oddly. I gut hooked an amazing
number of fish. Heck I caught an amazing number of fish period. For a long
time that was my goto bait. I did have some of my older plastics, but they
just didn't seem to produce as many fish. I'm sure there were a lot of
other factors, but I am convinced it was (taste) not scent that made the
difference.

This spring I started using mega strike after having a ton of fish hit and
spit (post spawn) too fast for me to react. Almost instantly I noticed that
fish were picking up my bait and holding it. I was thriled. Of course it
could have been just a subtle shift from one day to the next in fish
attitude so I still was not totally convinced. One day fishing a tournament
with Hammer I was getting bit and putting fish in hte boat, and Hammer kept
missing fish. We were fishing to radically different baits, but in a
similar manner. I was pitching a wacky stick worm, and hammer was pitching
a t-rigged baby size beaver tail. It was so bad I was throwing to his
missed fish and picking them up. I was lettign them take the bat too, not
just nailing them the moment they hit. Finally Hammer smeared some
megastrike on his bait and he started having them hold onto his bait. For
one fish he just stood there and watched it swim away before he set the
hook.

Now I have no idea whether scent ameks any difference or not, and my
experience doesn't seem to indicate that you get any more hits from using
it, but I am certain that taste makes a huge difference in how long a fish
holds a bait. I know my story is purely anecdotal, but its good enough for
me.

--
Bob La Londe
http://www.YumaBassMan.com