T&T vs Winston vs Orvis

Old October 14th, 2003, 05:21 PM
Gene C

Default T&T vs Winston vs Orvis

I consider myself an intermediate fly fisherman. I can cast
reasonably well and really enjoy the sport. My question deals with
getting a more upscale rod. I have a couple of St. Croix's that I
like a lot. This is for fishing for trout- a rod in the 4 , 5 or 6
weight. Would I be able to FEEL the difference if I got a Thomas and
Thomas, a Winston, or an Orvis rod? Would it help me to improve my
casting even more?

If so, then what are the differences in the 3 brands listed? A
friend has a lower level Scott that I tried out and PUUUU, the St
Croix was hands over hands above it. Is the step from a St Croix
(Ultra) to a 'premium' rod worth the climb/price. Would my 'socks be
knocked off' in a way similar as going from the inexpensive Scott to
the St. Croix.

Thanks in advance.
Old October 14th, 2003, 05:39 PM
Dave LaCourse

rw writes:

snippage

My senility must be getting worse; that's the second post you've made today
that I agree with. (Dapping was the other.)

The home can only be around the corner.......
Dave

http://hometown.aol.com/davplac/myhomepage/index.html

Old October 14th, 2003, 05:53 PM
Jeff Taylor

"Gene C" wrote in message
om...
Would I be able to FEEL the difference if I got a Thomas and
Thomas, a Winston, or an Orvis rod? Would it help me to improve my
casting even more?

Until you cast the rods in question, you won't know whether they feel
(better or worse) than what you have.

I have been fly fishing for 25 years and the warranty that RW mentioned had
never been an issue for me or something I had come to appreciate. Last fall
I purchase a Winston LTX 3 piece 9/5 (first rod I have purchased with a
warranty) and my cousin tested it for me this spring on the Bitterroot
(broke the rod at the ferrule). In this case, it was well worth the extra
bucks, the only charge for the repair was shipping to Winston, they took
care of everything else.

Pretty fitting, yes they are pretty. Prestige... To each his own, I have
never looked at it that way...

If you are going to step up to the pay window, I suggest try then out first.

Good luck,
Jeff

Old October 14th, 2003, 06:28 PM
rw

Gene C wrote:
I consider myself an intermediate fly fisherman. I can cast
reasonably well and really enjoy the sport. My question deals with
getting a more upscale rod. I have a couple of St. Croix's that I
like a lot. This is for fishing for trout- a rod in the 4 , 5 or 6
weight. Would I be able to FEEL the difference if I got a Thomas and
Thomas, a Winston, or an Orvis rod? Would it help me to improve my
casting even more?

You'd most likely feel less weight in your wallet. :-)

If you like your St. Croix rods "a lot," why do you feel you have to go
more "upscale"? IMO, the casting quality of rods is only weakly
correlated with price (if at all). You pay for pretty fittings, a
warranty, and prestige.

Old October 14th, 2003, 07:11 PM
rw

Dave LaCourse wrote:
rw writes:

snippage

My senility must be getting worse; that's the second post you've made today
that I agree with. (Dapping was the other.)

Hope springs eternal, Dave. :-)

Old October 14th, 2003, 07:21 PM
Graham Knight

Greg Pavlov wrote:
If you're interested
in buying another rod or two and like the Ultras, you
should be able to purchase one at a very good discount
for the next few months.

Thanks for mention this. :-)

I've often wondered myself if I should step up from my St. Croix Ultra,
but the answer is always no ' cause I do like the rod under almost all
conditions, now I can get a really cheap 2 wieght for the rest of the
conditions. :-)

Graham

--

And as an afterthought, this must too be told,
Some people are taking pure bull****, and turning it into gold.

What's happening in Idledale? Not Much! http://www.idledale.com/

Old October 14th, 2003, 07:55 PM
Larry L

And as an afterthought, this must too be told,
Some people are taking pure bull****, and turning it into gold.
- Grandpa Green (Greendale, CA USA)

Gramps must read Fly Fishing magazines ads .... many actually make me
ashamed to admit being a fly fisher, they are such pure, pure bull**** ...
but fly fishers snap up the hyped poop, fast as they can .... and, for lots
of gold

That, btw, is my answer to the original rod question G

Old October 14th, 2003, 08:34 PM
Tim J.

"Larry L" wrote...

And as an afterthought, this must too be told,
Some people are taking pure bull****, and turning it into gold.
- Grandpa Green (Greendale, CA USA)

Gramps must read Fly Fishing magazines ads .... many actually make me
ashamed to admit being a fly fisher, they are such pure, pure bull**** ...
but fly fishers snap up the hyped poop, fast as they can .... and, for lots
of gold

Every fly fisher but you, of course. ;-)
--
TL,
Tim

Old October 14th, 2003, 09:14 PM
Larry L

"Tim J." wrote

Every fly fisher but you, of course. ;-)
--

Of course not ... certainly by age 14 we all know that we recognize, best,
in others, what we see in ourselves, good or bad.

I'm a total sucker for hype ... but I fight it in myself.

I'm an alcoholic too, and , I often recognize drunks ( real drinkers often
hide it well for years ) that others don't, too ... but I quit drinking
many many years ago... same type deal if you can see my point.

Having a "problem" doesn't make commenting on it any less appropriate, imho.

I, personally, greatly dislike "image ads" for anything, but this is (
honest ) a Fly Fishing list so I dislike "image" fly fishing ads on this
list. Yes, I have ( bet you have too :-) tried to buy image at times in
the fairly distant past. It didn't work, didn't serve me well, indeed I
feel it harmed me in many ways. My "been there, done that" advice on
"image buying" is, therefore, "don't go there" ..... exactly like my "been
there" heavy drinking advice is ..... "don't go there"

Does the fact I've been there make my opinion of "there" less worthy ?

Old October 14th, 2003, 09:38 PM
slenon

Larry:
Does the fact I've been there make my opinion of "there" less worthy ?

Experience seems, to me, to lend authority to one's view.

----
Stev Lenon 91B20 '68-'69
Drowning flies to Darkstar
Save a cow, eat a PETA