TR: Green River

Old January 27th, 2011, 01:49 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Mark H. Bowen[_2_]

Default TR: Green River

Thanks for the link JT. I think I see why it is called Green River!

So did y'all wade from the banks, have your own drift boat/raft, or did ya hire a guide? That's a good deal of water--just the 7 miles--are you able to wade the entire stretch--shoreline access and all or is a water craft a must?

Now about that summer shuttle proposition? How much fishin' time will be available, for me, (you'll need to stay busy maintaining the vehicles and drumming up business!) between shuttle runs? Would two shuttle operators split the $30k. I gotta figure on surviving the other 6 months :~^ )

Op
Old January 27th, 2011, 05:12 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
JT

"Mark H. Bowen" wrote in message
Thanks for the link JT. I think I see why it is called Green River!

So did y'all wade from the banks, have your own drift boat/raft, or did ya
hire a guide? That's a good deal of water--just the 7 miles--are you able
to wade the entire stretch--shoreline access and all or is a water craft a
must?

Now about that summer shuttle proposition? How much fishin' time will be
available, for me, (you'll need to stay busy maintaining the vehicles and
drumming up business!) between shuttle runs? Would two shuttle operators
split the $30k. I gotta figure on surviving the other 6 months :~^ )

Op

Yes, the river does look very green in areas, with a green moss growing on
the bottom. I'm thinking that might also be why the fish are so dark. I'll
post a pic over on abfp of my cousin with a brown.

We float fished one day (cousin has a drift boat) and wade fished a couple
days. We found it easier to spot pods of rising fish while wade fishing and
worked the pods. The first section from the dam to Little hole has a trail
running the entire 8 miles, pretty easy hiking the entire way. We hiked
about 5 miles each day.

You will need a gal friend for the shuttle service business. Drumming up
business would be pretty easy, just sit on the side of the road before the
launch with a sign in the window. There will be plenty of fishing time each
day... I gave you the business plan, you're on your own finding the gal
friend and the other 6 months of the year...!

JT

Old January 27th, 2011, 08:32 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L[_2_]

On Jan 27, 8:12*am, "JT" wrote:

We float fished one day (cousin has a drift boat) and wade fished a couple
days. We found it easier to spot pods of rising fish while wade fishing and
worked the pods. *

I've only fished the Green once, probably close to 20 years ago. I
was in Jack Dennis' shop in Jackson and he suggested the place to me
as a 'recently discovered' great fishery. It was actually a couple
years later that I got around to going down there.

I walked upstream from the camping area and soon found a few fish
rising to midges behind a rock and about 10 feet off the bank, river
left. I stepped into the water, got directly below them ( about 10
feet off the bank ) to easier use my right handed casting, and soon
landed one. As I waited for the rest to settle back down I stood
still ( about 10
feet off the bank ) and even though a couple fish started to rise,
continued to rest the spot not moving ( about 10 feet off the
bank ).

It was summer and the river had a ton of drift boats on it ( 'zoo' is
too mild a word ) and along comes one with an obvious guide
( outfitter name on boat ... rower looking all 'guidey' ) and two
anglers, an apparent couple. The female angler, as they drifted by
the rock, cast to the rises a very few feet from me in a manner that
required ( I **** you not ) that I grab her line and lift it over my
head as it floated at me, to avoid getting tangled. As I did so,
she went into a string of filthy expletives that was astounding and
embarrassed even me. ( I trained dogs and speak 'expletive'
fluently ), about me ruining her fishing.

In case I forgot to mention it, I was about 10 feet off the bank and
the rest of the fairly large immediate river was unoccupied, with
rises obvious on the other bank, also. She was tossing a bobber,
anyway.

The "guide" and the "male" angler just looked away .... away from
what, I believe, was the single worst example of terrible 'etiquette'
I, personally have ever witnessed while fishing. This was the
moment when "guide" became a somewhat dirty word to me. Had I been
the guy, I would have beached the boat and beached the bitch with the
advice that she never, ever, return or seek my services again, and
would have considered it a professional obligation to do so.

I firmly believe guides need to see themselves as educators and also
understand that their subject matter includes more than just catching
fish, it also includes doing so in a sporting way, with respect for
the resource and for other anglers
.... some do
.... many don't ( best I can tell from years of observation )
Old January 27th, 2011, 08:33 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L[_2_]

On Jan 27, 11:32*am, Larry L wrote:
On Jan 27, 8:12*am, "JT" wrote:

[...]

Don't get me wrong ... I think "The Green" is a good destination to
sample and may even go back, myself, someday. LOTS of fish.
Old January 27th, 2011, 09:15 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On Jan 27, 1:32*pm, Larry L wrote:
On Jan 27, 8:12*am, "JT" wrote:

[...]

sigh!

What do you think it is about us paragons of virtue, polity, civility,
moral rectitude, refined manners, ethical purity, intellectual
superiority, educational achievement, social correctness, abject (if
not to say ludicrous) humility, humane generosity, exquisitely tuned
empathy, and dynamic (tempered by sagacity) humanity that causes
literally ALL of those with whom we happen to cross paths (through no
fault of our own.....obviously) to be boorish, insensitive, grasping,
selfish, insensitive, rude, loud, garish, ugly, stupid, ignorant,
nasty, inhuman, pitiful and, almost certainly, liberal.....or
conservative.....or both?

That's what I wanna know.

sigh!

giles
who ya not gonna hate.....?
Old January 27th, 2011, 09:15 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On Jan 27, 1:33*pm, Larry L wrote:

Don't get me wrong ...

Slim chance of that.

g.
Old January 27th, 2011, 10:31 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
flebow[_2_]

On Jan 27, 8:12*am, "JT" wrote:

[...]

AS my cabin fever is rising to a level never reached before
I need help~~~and a respite from the snow
This coulsd be a good place to go March or April even May

Of course depending od water conditions
I will contact the flyshoop JT mentioneed

I might even drive - but the price of gas is over $3.00!o
Note how it has crept up.

Fred
Fred

Old January 27th, 2011, 11:23 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On Jan 27, 8:12*am, "JT" wrote:

[...]

Gas?

Hm......

I eat more than I drive.....um.....depending on how you keep score, I
guess.

The point is that gasoline prices vary widely.....and wildly.....over
a relatively short period of time. If you have to drive a LONG ways
to the grocery store, this can add up to an annoying.....and quite
possibly significant.....figure.

But, once you get there.....ah, THAT's when reality strikes. You see,
they've been telling you for three decades or more that gas prices are
what should scare you.....or not.....depending. And you believed
them!

In fact, what should scare you is what it costs to stay
alive......and, really......driving your gasoline guzzling piece of
**** doesn't do that......,right? I mean, aside from you, personally,
"you" in the generic sense don't live primarily on hydrocarbon
inhalations.....right?

Right. No, "you" don't.

"You" live on groceries.....more or less.

And THAT'S where they are getting you today (and for the last three
years......maybe a bit more). "You" should be looking at the prices
on the shelves. That's what I do.

And what would this radical action tell "you"? Well, probably nothing
that would be of any use.

But those of us blessed (or cursed.....another of those "he said, she
said" kinda thingies) with third grade arithmetic skills would in all
likelihood spend those moments on the throne at three o'clock in the
morning wondering if....."hey.....maybe I SHOULD recycle that ****."

g.
and, oh yes, it most certainly IS going to get worse.
Old January 28th, 2011, 01:48 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L[_2_]

On Jan 27, 1:31*pm, flebow wrote:

AS my *cabin fever is rising to a level never reached before
I need help~~~and a respite from the snow

This year, I'm not too sure that getting away from snow is going to be
within reasonable driving distance for you
..... by May, Fred.

Old February 25th, 2011, 07:06 PM
robiinjakson robiinjakson is offline
Junior Member

You need a girl friend of the shuttle services. Drumming up business would be very easy, just sitting beside the road before the launch of a brand in the window. There will be plenty of time for each fishing day. I'll give your business plan, you found your gal friends and other 6 months of the year.