Bayou Redfish

Old March 29th, 2008, 12:22 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry[_2_]

Default Bayou Redfish

wrote:
Wayne Knight wrote:
Ken Fortenberry wrote:
I'm looking forward to it.

Personally I think a 9wt is a little heavy for redfish, my primary
redfish from a boat rod is a 7wt and I use an 8wt while wading.

I already tried that, Wayne, but hey, when you're getting advice from a
guide who knows where redfish are in S. Louisiana, advice from folks who
live or have lived there with lots of fishing experience just sorta come
in a distant second...

Yeah yeah, I heard ya the first time and I do respect your first
hand experience but a 9wt is all I have in 4 piece and I'm not
gonna buy a new rod just for a few hours fishing in the bayou.

BTW, I used to attend the Jazz festival annually when I lived on the
gulf coast but have not been in a decade or more. Any chane you can
pick me up this year's poster (I used to collect them and still have
some)? I will of course reimburse you.

Oh, man, this has become its own, er, funkin' industry, both legit and
otherwise. An official poster, unsigned, isn't cheap, and a signed one
is REALLY ridiculous (IIRC, they were fetching over $800.00 last year,
unframed). Then there's all the quasi-official ones. I'd suggest
determining _exactly_ what you want and letting Ken and Kristine have a
website/.jpg/something to see so they know exactly what you want. And
as an aside, depending on which ones you have (such as a signed
Rodrigue, etc.), you might wish to check into values and determine if
you need insurance (seriously).

No ****, over $4,000 for a 1989 JazzFest *poster* ?!!?!? Good grief.
I've got a 1990 (the last time we were there) I wonder why it's only
worth $350 ? I mean, granted I only paid $30 for it at the time but
I can be as greedy as the next guy. ;-)

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old March 29th, 2008, 12:46 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
jeff miller[_2_]

Wayne Knight wrote:
On Mar 28, 3:14 pm, Ken Fortenberry
wrote:

My question to roff, how does one go about catching a redfish
on a fly rod in a Louisiana bayou on April 30th ? The guide
recommends a 9wt., but floating, sink tip, full sink ? How
about flies ? I know absolutely nothing about fly fishing for
redfish. How about that, a virgin experience at my age. ;-)
I'm looking forward to it.

Personally I think a 9wt is a little heavy for redfish, my primary
redfish from a boat rod is a 7wt and I use an 8wt while wading. IMO,
Clousers and decievers are fine for searching casts or casting to
cruising fish. But my limited experience is that crab and shrimp
patterns work better on tailing fish which is the "classic" way of
locating and casting to them.
A quick google turned up this link for what its worth:
http://www.flyfishusa.com/flies/02-s...er-redfish.htm

For the most part floating lines are just fine but I always carry an
intermediate and fast sink polyleader just in case.

Good luck and have fun. I can send you a couple of crab/shrimp
patterns to play with if you'd like.

BTW, I used to attend the Jazz festival annually when I lived on the
gulf coast but have not been in a decade or more. Any chane you can
pick me up this year's poster (I used to collect them and still have
some)? I will of course reimburse you.

Wayne

why polyleaders? i'd never use them fishing for puppy drum. of course,
i prefer a spinning rod and redfish magic lures. the fish are usually
found in relatively shallow water, and spook easily...at least up here.
floating line should work fine. a strong leader is essential...3x at a
minimum. the fish are real hogs...and i think are the best gamefish
caught on light tackle. plus, they make a tasty meal.

from what i've seen of the la stuff, it looks similar to nc. the spoon
fly, copper heads, crease fly, deceivers, gummy minnows, clousers ought
to work. a 9 foot, 6 or 7 weight rod, fast action should be enough
stick, esp. if you're gonna be tossin at a lot of fish. a good reel with
good drag is important. the reds pull harder than any fish their size,
in my experience. i suspect the guide will have everything needed...even
the spinning tackle. g

jeff
Old March 29th, 2008, 12:51 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 18:22:50 -0500, Ken Fortenberry

Wayne Knight wrote:
Ken Fortenberry wrote:
[...]

Depends on the artist of the poster and the featured artist (if living),
as well as the plain ol' market demand. For example, the aforementioned
Rodrique featured Satchmo (obviously, he didn't sign it...), so the
poster artist accounts for the value, whereas if the artist of the
poster and the "featured" artist (or no artist) is less well-known, the
value can be much less. Plus, if yours isn't signed, the value is
likely less. My advice is if you want art and investment, buy one with
as much "signing" as possible, but if you just want a poster, buy one
with no sigs. If you are thinking about an artist-signed one this year
(Irma Thomas), let me know before you buy one "off-the-rack."

TC,
Old March 29th, 2008, 01:01 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

wrote:

[...]

And we already went down THAT road, too...heck, I managed to convince
him to leave the tweeds, tam o'shanter, and his dry-fly snobbery back in
the land of Clydesdale urine...

Seriously, though, given his time to fish - a few hours - the 9 is
overkill, but it ought not be too much, and when he fishes with us on a
boat, they'll likely be enough gear to go around. Actually, though, I
just realized the date he scheduled - Ken, bring the 9 setup, just in
case, but hopefully, we'll have seen y'all by the 30th and I'll get you
something a little more appropriate.

TC,

jeff

Old March 29th, 2008, 03:07 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wayne Knight

"jeff miller" wrote in message
. ..

why polyleaders?

Because I don't do enough salt water fishing. While I may have accumulated a
little fishing tackle over the years I am too cheap to buy another spool and
a sinking fly line for fishing I rarely am going to use.

The last time I fished salt was in central Florida and the Tarpon weren't
cooperating. But there were plenty of redfish tho none of them were tailing
but they were cruising on the bottom of gin clear water about 10' deep. The
poly leader got the fly down and I managed to not scare a couple and hook
up. Like I said in my original response to Ken. I carry them for that "just
in case" minute.

floating line should work fine. a strong leader is essential...3x at a
minimum. the fish are real hogs...and i think are the best gamefish caught
on light tackle. plus, they make a tasty meal.

Agree a floater is fine most of the time and do like how they taste. I use a
20lb shock tippet, it might be overkill but I've never had one bust me off.

even the spinning tackle. g

I'm a trout snob but I have to admit catching a tailing red with a fly rod
is a blast. I wouldn't want to do it all the time but one has to do what one
has to do.

BTW, I'm going to be in Townsend May 14 - 18 if you happen to be in the
neighborhood.

Old March 29th, 2008, 03:43 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wayne Knight

"Ken Fortenberry" wrote in message

And that's what the guide recommends so what the
hell.

Well he is the pro. But if you want to take a four piece seven or eight
along drop me a note.

I'd be more than happy to pick up a Jazz Fest poster for you but
you can get one yourself (and fill in the blanks in your collection)
he http://www.art4now.com/store/index.asp

Thanks I had forgotten all about them. I think the last one I picked up came
via them.

Old March 29th, 2008, 01:24 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Joe McIntosh[_3_]

"jeff miller" wrote in message
. ..

why polyleaders?

Joe the Elder-----here in N.C. I fish from kayak and use spinning gear for
redfish but usually take along a six weight fly set-up in case I come
upon a scool of blue fish or find redfish tailing on outgoing tide up a
couple of local creeks.

My worn out shoulder would not. allow long periods of fly casting from
a sitting position. but on a good day I might get two redfish on
fly--three or four redfish on gulpbait with spinning rod---and maybe a
couple of small flounder. Life is good.
On many other days I just get exercise paddling--and life is still good

Old March 29th, 2008, 01:59 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
jeff miller[_2_]

Wayne Knight wrote:

BTW, I'm going to be in Townsend May 14 - 18 if you happen to be in the
neighborhood.

wish i could make it...i actually enjoyed my brief dip in the waters
around elkmont, and i wanted you to show me your secret path to upper
abrams...but...i'm heading to penns sometime in may during that
timeframe...and mark and i are gonna do our annual camp/trout early in
may i think...so, another time perhaps?

jeff
Old February 26th, 2011, 12:26 PM
jonnsmiith jonnsmiith is offline
Junior Member

I personally think that 9wt bit heavy redfish, redfish from my Primary School is a 7wt boat rod, I use a 8wt and wading. IMO, Clousers and decievers fine conversion or converted to search for cruising fish. But my limited experience, crab, shrimp patterns work better on the tailing fish is the "classic " way of positioning and casting them.