WHat is Spam

Old May 14th, 2007, 09:51 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
johnval1

Default WHat is Spam

"Ken Fortenberry" wrote in message
You sound to me like a troublemaker. You suggested I *plonk* some
long-time contributors to this forum but if all you have to contribute
is s***-stirring I'd be better advised to just *plonk* you.

Feel free to do so Ken. As my generation used to say, if it feels good, do
it.

And get yourself a real dog, pugs are for sissies.

By definitiion then, I am a sissy as well as a troublemaker. (So much for
not injecting personalities into the discussion, eh?) I guess I always have
been and always will be. My Pugs however don't give a rat's butt and love
me nonetheless.

Old May 15th, 2007, 10:05 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Marty

"Rodney Long" wrote in message

The real question here is "what" constitutes a commercial ?

If any person starts singing the praises of the Honey Toad on this group,
is that a commercial ? if he does so, then list a place on the internet
where he buys them cheap, does this make it a commercial ?

I have never seen you jump anyone who has done this in the past, as long
as this was not "their" web site. It is still a "commercial" the best kind
a manufacturer, or tackle store could get.

As someone pointed out, that's an endorsement, not a commercial. It is the
nature of fishing that everyone wants to know about lures (and other
products) and how they perform, and yes, maybe places where they can be had
at bargain prices. The critical difference is that the endorser has no
vested interest and gains nothing. If the president of Zoom gratuitously
sings the praises of the Horny Toad, then it's a commercial, or Spam, as
some loosely define it.

Old May 16th, 2007, 01:08 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
John B

Default WHat is Spam (John & Ken)

You guys need to go fishing...it does wonders for your disposition
grin.

John K

Old May 16th, 2007, 01:46 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
[email protected]

On May 15, 8:08 pm, (John B) wrote:
You guys need to go fishing...it does wonders for your disposition
grin.

John K

All:

Not to beat a dead horse, but I'm curious. I have started a Yahoo!
group for bass fishermen in the Central Virginia area. I've seen
groups start, flounder (no pun intended) and then die a quiet death
due to lack of membership and/or lack of activity. I don't want to
see this happen to my group.

To that end, I have sent e-mail invitations to Yahoo! members who
listed their location as Virginia and bass fishing as an interest. I
picked up a few members that way, but I want the group to grow more.
I'm considering joining AOL so I can search for members the same way I
did on Yahoo!, but joining AOL concerns me due to SPAM.

Now that I've invoked the dreaded "S" word, here is my question: If I
send an invitation out to members of this usenet group to come join my
Yahoo! group if they want to, will I be branded a Spammer and have to
walk around with a scarlet "S" on my chest for the rest of my life?
This is a non-commercial group so I'm not selling anything nor am I
advocating the use of any brand of product.

Again, I'm curious and don't want to offend anyone from the get-go.

Thanks,
Greg

Old May 16th, 2007, 05:59 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
John

Greg asked:
[...]

A good way to avoid the perception of SPAM is to include your group's name
and link in your signature line and then to actively participate in
discussions in this group. The more you participate in this group, the more
exposure your group will get. It's a win/win for both groups.
Good luck!
John

Old May 17th, 2007, 10:17 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Huck P

.....where in Central Virginia? asked Huck
http://www.bassjons.com

wrote in message
ps.com...

Old May 18th, 2007, 12:54 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
[email protected]

I'm in Chesterfield County. I consider Central Virginia to be the
Metro Richmond area and surrounding counties, but if you guys down in
Hampton and the Tidewater area would like to join, then come on! I'd
be happy to have you participate.

Greg

On May 17, 5:17 am, "Huck P" wrote:
....where in Central Virginia? asked Huckhttp://www.bassjons.com

[...]