Recommendations for tackle shop in London...

Old July 18th, 2006, 11:24 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Greg Loriman

Default Recommendations for tackle shop in London...

Hi,

I'm a beginner having only fished with a whip rod and maggots.

I'll soon be staying with my godmother who is 5 mins from the Loire river in
France, and I want to take the oppotunity to do some fishing, particulary
because I can have the satisfaction of eating the blighters.

So I'm looking to find a tackle shop in London, esp W or SW, where I can get
some sound advice, as well as stuff, and not be ripped off.

Anyone got any recommendations?

My only prior encounter with a tackle shop, where I was only making
enquiries to find out how much I might expect to have to pay one day, was
with a country sports shop in Tenterden, Kent. The fellow advised me in the
direction of spending not much more than £60 for some general purpose kit
(ie, for all kinds of fishing). He knew I wasn't trying to get serious,
since I told him, and the moderate cost of his recommendation would seem to
recommend itself. I'll be passing by that place again, in the next few days,
and wondered if anyone knows that it just happens to be the best shop in the
country, and, yes, I should definately go back!!??

thanks for any wisdom you can give me,

Greg

Old July 19th, 2006, 12:08 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Derek Moody

In article , Greg Loriman
wrote:

I'm a beginner having only fished with a whip rod and maggots.

I'll soon be staying with my godmother who is 5 mins from the Loire river in
France, and I want to take the oppotunity to do some fishing, particulary
because I can have the satisfaction of eating the blighters.

So I'm looking to find a tackle shop in London, esp W or SW, where I can get
some sound advice, as well as stuff, and not be ripped off.

How long will you be there? If it's more than a flying visit you might be
better to wait 'til you get there, see what the (successful) locals are
using and then buy similar kit.

with a country sports shop in Tenterden, Kent. The fellow advised me in the
direction of spending not much more than £60 for some general purpose kit

Basically sound. You could take some GP kit as a backup.

(ie, for all kinds of fishing). He knew I wasn't trying to get serious,
since I told him, and the moderate cost of his recommendation would seem to
recommend itself. I'll be passing by that place again, in the next few days,
and wondered if anyone knows that it just happens to be the best shop in the
country, and, yes, I should definately go back!!??

It's well worth cultivating a local tackle shop - he gets a regular, repeat
customer (the best sort) and you get a basic help-desk service to put you
right with minor practical problems.

Sounds like he's already shown that he's willing to do his bit...

Cheerio,

--
Fishing: http://www.fishing.casterbridge.net/
Writing: http://www.author.casterbridge.net/derek-moody/