Goodbye Old Van

Old February 6th, 2009, 01:03 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tom Littleton

Default Goodbye Old Van

The Fabulous Fishing Van, which some of you here have had the extreme
misfortune of traveling Pennsylvania's backroads in, no longer resides in my
driveway. In contrast to its predecessor, the Fishing Car, which literally
burst into flames to end its days of service, the van is still alive and
(sort of) well. Nephew, who is ever short of resources, needed a vehicle, so
I sold the van to him for a buck. Given its condition, that would
approximate its Blue Book valuation. Now, I have to start a search for
another dilapidated vehicle with which to bang around Penn's valley in.
Tom

Old February 6th, 2009, 08:01 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
riverman

On Feb 6, 9:03*am, "Tom Littleton" wrote:
The Fabulous Fishing Van, which some of you here have had the extreme
misfortune of traveling Pennsylvania's backroads in, no longer resides in my
driveway. In contrast to its predecessor, the Fishing Car, which literally
burst into flames to end its days of service, the van is still alive and
(sort of) well. Nephew, who is ever short of resources, needed a vehicle, so
I sold the van to him for a buck. Given its condition, that would
approximate its Blue Book valuation. Now, I have to start a search for
another dilapidated vehicle with which to bang around Penn's valley in.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Tom

Be careful....as far as I know, you'll have to report the sales price
on your taxes as the Kelley Blue Book value rather than the actual
sales price. And reclaim all your depreciation costs.

You know, just in case you ever get tapped for a cabinet position....

--riverman
Old February 6th, 2009, 10:19 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tom Littleton

wrote in message
I think you should look for a chevette blue in color no brakes
etc........

I had one once. A great friend of mine managed to help hold it together for
a couple hundred thousand milesg
Tom

Old February 6th, 2009, 10:21 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tom Littleton

"riverman" wrote in message

Myron,
I paid all of $1500 bucks for this thing, about 7 or 8 years ago. Trust
me, the van has depreciated down to around zero, at this point.
Tom

Old February 6th, 2009, 11:32 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Fri, 06 Feb 2009 01:03:04 GMT, "Tom Littleton" wrote:

The Fabulous Fishing Van, which some of you here have had the extreme
misfortune of traveling Pennsylvania's backroads in, no longer resides in my
driveway. In contrast to its predecessor, the Fishing Car, which literally
burst into flames to end its days of service, the van is still alive and
(sort of) well. Nephew, who is ever short of resources, needed a vehicle, so
I sold the van to him for a buck. Given its condition, that would
approximate its Blue Book valuation. Now, I have to start a search for
another dilapidated vehicle with which to bang around Penn's valley in.
Tom

Howsabout a mid-80s Mercedes diesel station wagon? I've seen 'em for under 2
grand US, they run on diesel or vegetable oil/biodiesel, and if you change the
oil and don't run 'em dry, they are good for at least 3-400K miles with little
other maintenance.

TC,
Old February 6th, 2009, 12:32 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid © 2008

Howsabout a mid-80s Mercedes diesel station wagon? *I've seen 'em for under 2
grand US, they run on diesel or vegetable oil/biodiesel, and if you change the
oil and don't run 'em dry, they are good for at least 3-400K miles with little
other maintenance.

A Mercedes fishin' car? Thats just not right.
By the way Tom, condolences. So the smell of the vehicle is your
revenge on the nephew for all his antics? After a long winter, that
thing probably reeks worse than the Pirates waders.
Frank Reid
Old February 6th, 2009, 10:06 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tom Littleton

wrote in message
Howsabout a mid-80s Mercedes diesel station wagon? I've seen 'em for
under 2
grand US, they run on diesel or vegetable oil/biodiesel, and if you change
the
oil and don't run 'em dry, they are good for at least 3-400K miles with
little
other maintenance.

there's a consideration......actually, given the economic pressure on auto
sales, I might be able to get a good value on a 4wd(one of the smaller
ones), that I can then use down on the shore for beach access......Time will
tell, but if history is any guide, I will end up with some dilapidated piece
of crap that oddly remains functional despite zero amenitiesg
Tom

Old February 6th, 2009, 10:06 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tom Littleton

"Frank Reid © 2008" wrote in message

So the smell of the vehicle is your
revenge on the nephew for all his antics? After a long winter, that
thing probably reeks worse than the Pirates waders.
Frank Reid

Mike can vouch for me, nephew deserves worse. He's a Frank, too, and we
should probably start a pool on the date in which he kills the vehicle
altogether. Actually, the smell isn't too bad, I just left the windows open,
and it shouldn't take him TOO long to remove the snow accumation from the
interior.......
Tom

Old February 6th, 2009, 10:11 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L

wrote

grand US, they run on diesel or vegetable oil/biodiesel,

I saw a few regular looking stations last summer in Idaho with "bio-diesel"
signs on the pumps .... I went elsewhere because I didn't/ don't know

.... can you just pump it into any and all diesels or does it require some
kind of conversion or more modern unit ?

Old February 6th, 2009, 10:37 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Dave LaCourse

On Fri, 6 Feb 2009 04:32:10 -0800 (PST), Frank Reid © 2008
wrote:

Howsabout a mid-80s Mercedes diesel station wagon? *I've seen 'em for under 2
grand US, they run on diesel or vegetable oil/biodiesel, and if you change the
oil and don't run 'em dry, they are good for at least 3-400K miles with little
other maintenance.

A Mercedes fishin' car? Thats just not right.
By the way Tom, condolences. So the smell of the vehicle is your
revenge on the nephew for all his antics? After a long winter, that
thing probably reeks worse than the Pirates waders.
Frank Reid

When referring to the Pirate's Waders, alway use caps on "waders".

BTE, *nothing* reeks worse than the Pirate's Waders..... well, up
until I washed 'em with Ivory Soap.