Bull Trout

Old February 12th, 2004, 04:29 AM
Darin Minor

Default Bull Trout

Chas Wade wrote:

Sam says that the Graywolf has bulls, but the Dungeness has Dollies.
I'll open a new thread later with the details of last night's meeting.

Chas

So, are they Dungeness Dollies or Graywolf Bulls that I've been catching?
They're obviously a sea run fish due to their size.

Darin

Old February 12th, 2004, 06:02 AM
Chas Wade

Darin Minor wrote:
Chas Wade wrote:

Sam says that the Graywolf has bulls, but the Dungeness has Dollies.
I'll open a new thread later with the details of last night's
meeting.

Chas

So, are they Dungeness Dollies or Graywolf Bulls that I've been
catching?
They're obviously a sea run fish due to their size.

That's a tough question, Darin. Sam claims to be the first to prove
that Bulls are sometimes anadromous. The point here is that they
haven't found Bulls in the Dungeness, so the Graywolf bulls may not be
anadromous. The question is, where are you catching the fish? How big
are they that you've decided they must be anadromous?

For the real answer, email Sam at:
I'm sure he'll be glad to hear from you, and will have the full answer.
No harm in mentioning that I gave you his Email address.

Chas
remove fly fish to reply
http://home.comcast.net/~chas.wade/w...ome.html-.html
San Juan Pictures at:
http://home.comcast.net/~chasepike/wsb/index.html

Old February 12th, 2004, 05:43 PM
David Snedeker

"Chas Wade" wrote in message
"David Snedeker" wrote:

What about the "Dollies" on the Graywolf, a trib of the Dungeness? Are
they
actually Bull Trout?

Sam says that the Graywolf has bulls, but the Dungeness has Dollies.
I'll open a new thread later with the details of last night's meeting.

Interesting, because that would be opposite of the distribution on the
systems emptying directly into the ocean (Ex: Hoh etc) right? (ie Graywolf
being a trib of the Dungeness for those not familiar with the geography
under discussion). I wonder what role the upper canyon plays? And I seem to
remember that the Forks was some kind of "seam" in the distribution
according to folklore.

Old February 13th, 2004, 04:57 AM
Darin Minor

Chas Wade wrote:

That's a tough question, Darin. Sam claims to be the first to prove
that Bulls are sometimes anadromous. The point here is that they
haven't found Bulls in the Dungeness, so the Graywolf bulls may not be
anadromous. The question is, where are you catching the fish? How big
are they that you've decided they must be anadromous?

The smallest I've caught is 22" the biggest is 27". All but 1 were caught
below the hatchery and the one wasn't far above it. Thinking about it now
after reading your question regarding size, I guess that size alone should
not be the determining factor in that they're anadromous, I just assumed
that they were.

For the real answer, email Sam at:
I'm sure he'll be glad to hear from you, and will have the full answer.
No harm in mentioning that I gave you his Email address.

Thanks, I just might have to do that.

Darin

Old February 13th, 2004, 09:05 AM
Chas Wade

Darin Minor wrote:
Chas Wade wrote:

That's a tough question, Darin. Sam claims to be the first to prove
that Bulls are sometimes anadromous. The point here is that they
haven't found Bulls in the Dungeness, so the Graywolf bulls may not
be
anadromous. The question is, where are you catching the fish? How
big
are they that you've decided they must be anadromous?

The smallest I've caught is 22" the biggest is 27". All but 1 were
caught
below the hatchery and the one wasn't far above it. Thinking about it
now
after reading your question regarding size, I guess that size alone
should
not be the determining factor in that they're anadromous, I just
assumed
that they were.

Sounds like returning anadromous fish to me, but Sam will know.

For the real answer, email Sam at:
I'm sure he'll be glad to hear from you, and will have the full
answer.
No harm in mentioning that I gave you his Email address.

Thanks, I just might have to do that.

Don't be bashful, I think feedback from anglers is the kind of break
they like. Sam is a fisherman, he caught several of the tagged fish
himself, and had friends help catch the rest.

Old February 13th, 2004, 09:10 AM
Chas Wade

"David Snedeker" wrote:

What about the "Dollies" on the Graywolf, a trib of the Dungeness?
Are
they
actually Bull Trout?

Sam says that the Graywolf has bulls, but the Dungeness has Dollies.
I'll open a new thread later with the details of last night's
meeting.

Interesting, because that would be opposite of the distribution on the
systems emptying directly into the ocean (Ex: Hoh etc) right? (ie
Graywolf
being a trib of the Dungeness for those not familiar with the geography
under discussion). I wonder what role the upper canyon plays? And I
seem to
remember that the Forks was some kind of "seam" in the distribution
according to folklore.

In fact, the Hoh was a complete surprise, backwards from the
conventional wisdom. Sam said that the biggest thing they've learned
is that they really have a lot to learn about bulls.

Which river's upper canyon are you referring to?

Old February 14th, 2004, 02:22 AM
David Snedeker

"Chas Wade" wrote in message

Which river's upper canyon are you referring to?

That would be the Dungeness below the Forks.