Bull Trout

Old February 6th, 2004, 11:11 PM
Willi

Default Bull Trout

Jonathan Cook wrote:

rw wrote in message ...

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/fishing_0601_04.html

According to this web site, even though the two species look very similar,
they actually are not as closely related as the similarity suggests. It

That site points to research indicating they can breed and produce
fertile offspring. Sounds like a single species to me. (All other
"scientific" reasons for declaring a new species are, IMO, grounded
only in the scientist's desire for recognition and/or career
advancement ;-)

I'm up in the air about that. For me, it's more complicated than that.
Some different species can be bred and produce fertile offspring but it
can only be done in the lab. That seems like different species to me.
Some different species can breed and produce fertile offspring on their
own but don't in the wild because of different behavioral patterns.
These too seem like different species to me.

Willi

Old February 6th, 2004, 11:47 PM
Willi

That site points to research indicating they can breed and produce
fertile offspring. Sounds like a single species to me. (All other
"scientific" reasons for declaring a new species are, IMO, grounded
only in the scientist's desire for recognition and/or career
advancement ;-)

Question for you West coast guys.

Do Redside Rainbows and Steelhead share any watersheds?

If so do they interbreed?

Willi

Old February 7th, 2004, 12:01 AM
Ernie

"Willi" wrote in message
Question for you West coast guys.
Do Redside Rainbows and Steelhead share any watersheds?
If so do they interbreed?
Willi

The Redside, like the Golden were once Rainbows, but were
isolated and developed different coloration. They do not share
the same water with Steelhead or Rainbows. If they did they
would interbreed and return to the dominant strain which is
Rainbow.
Ernie

Old February 7th, 2004, 12:14 AM
Willi

Ernie wrote:

"Willi" wrote in message

Question for you West coast guys.
Do Redside Rainbows and Steelhead share any watersheds?
If so do they interbreed?
Willi

The Redside, like the Golden were once Rainbows, but were
isolated and developed different coloration. They do not share
the same water with Steelhead or Rainbows. If they did they
would interbreed and return to the dominant strain which is
Rainbow.
Ernie

I thought the Redside was your native Rainbow. How about this, do
Steelhead and nonmigratory Rainbows share the same watershed and do they
interbreed?

Willi

Old February 7th, 2004, 12:28 AM
Bob Weinberger

"Willi" wrote in message

That site points to research indicating they can breed and produce
fertile offspring. Sounds like a single species to me. (All other
"scientific" reasons for declaring a new species are, IMO, grounded
only in the scientist's desire for recognition and/or career
advancement ;-)

Question for you West coast guys.

Do Redside Rainbows and Steelhead share any watersheds?

If so do they interbreed?

Willi

The Deschutes is famous for both Redsides and Steelhead. To my knowledge,
they are genetically indistinguishable. Some Steelhead fingerlings never go
to sea and become resident Redsides and some Redsides go to sea and become
Steelhead. Several other rivers in the vicinity have the same situation.
The reason some rainbows exhibit anadromy, while others in the same system
do not, is a mystery to fish biologists. The Steelhead in the coastal
streams are derived from a different strain of rainbow than the Redsides of
the interior streams. In most coastal streams virtually all the rainbows
become Steelhead. The resident fish in these streams are cutthroat, though
some of the cuttthroat also exhibit a degree of anadromy - going to the near
shore salt for periods of 3-6mos. and returning as Searun Cutts of 13-18".
Inch for inch they are better fighters than steelhead.

--
Bob Weinberger
La, Grande, OR

place a dot between bobs and stuff and remove invalid to send email

Old February 7th, 2004, 12:37 AM
Ken Fortenberry

Bob Weinberger wrote:
snip
The resident fish in these streams are cutthroat, though
some of the cuttthroat also exhibit a degree of anadromy - going to the near
shore salt for periods of 3-6mos. and returning as Searun Cutts of 13-18".
Inch for inch they are better fighters than steelhead.

That's interesting. I've found on inland waters that rainbows fight
and jump very well, cutts do neither and cutbows are, as you'd expect,
kinda half-assed. Any chance that your searun cutts are cutbows ?

--
Ken Fortenberry

Old February 7th, 2004, 01:00 AM
Skwala

"Bob Weinberger" wrote in message

"Willi" wrote in message

Several other rivers in the vicinity have the same situation.
The reason some rainbows exhibit anadromy, while others in the same system
do not, is a mystery

I bet it kept David Bowie's father up nights, also.

Skwala

Old February 7th, 2004, 01:11 AM
Willi

Ken Fortenberry wrote:

Bob Weinberger wrote:

snip
The resident fish in these streams are cutthroat, though
some of the cuttthroat also exhibit a degree of anadromy - going to
the near
shore salt for periods of 3-6mos. and returning as Searun Cutts of
13-18".
Inch for inch they are better fighters than steelhead.

That's interesting. I've found on inland waters that rainbows fight
and jump very well, cutts do neither and cutbows are, as you'd expect,
kinda half-assed. Any chance that your searun cutts are cutbows ?

Something else that's related and is interesting to me is that there are
some places where cutts and rainbow population coexist with little or no
interbreeding. While in many streams and rivers, the introduction of the
rainbows led to the elimination of the cutts mainly through interbreeding.

Willi

Old February 7th, 2004, 01:11 AM
Bob Weinberger

"Ken Fortenberry" wrote in message
. ..

That's interesting. I've found on inland waters that rainbows fight
and jump very well, cutts do neither and cutbows are, as you'd expect,
kinda half-assed. Any chance that your searun cutts are cutbows ?

--
Ken Fortenberry

Yeah, Yellowstone Cutts are real dogs when it comes to fighting, but
Coastal Strain Cutts are entirely different - especially those that have
gone to the salt and returned - they are fantastic fighters. Don't seem to
find any cutbows in the coast streams, but often find cutbows in the inland
systems where both rainbow and interior strains of cutthroat are present.

Old February 7th, 2004, 01:15 AM
rw

On 2004-02-06 15:21:48 -0700, (Jonathan Cook) said:

rw wrote in message

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/fishing_0601_04.html
According to this web site, even though the two species look very

similar, they actually are not as closely related as the similarity
suggests. It
That site points to research indicating they can breed and produce
fertile offspring. Sounds like a single species to me. (All other
"scientific" reasons for declaring a new species are, IMO, grounded
only in the scientist's desire for recognition and/or career advancement

;-)

Lions and tigers have been bred and produced fertile offspring. Would you
call them one species?