teasers?

Old October 5th, 2003, 06:09 PM
Big Tuna Bill

Default teasers?

in article , RB at wrote on
9/13/03 7:48 PM:

Got a trolling bait question for you gurus. Is there a difference between
teasers and lures? I ask because what I call lures some people refer to as
teasers; the idea being that there are additional things towed which are
further out than the "teasers".

I'm talking here about the big colorful things such as Kona Heads, etc, with
big bodies and long skirts. I always rigged them with trailer hooks on
heavy cable and used them as lures.

We've picked up our share of yellow fin, big Dolphin, and Blue Marlin with
those. But, I think some guys use them primarily as teasers.

If you're running teasers and trolling lures, how do the fish figure out
which one to hit? Why go for one over the other?

Any reason not to use the big lures as the only thing out? Maybe I've been
missing out on something. I've wondered about this for a long time, so
figured I'd finally get around to asking the pros.

Just curious.

I was running a big teaser while fishing out of La Paz, Baja California Sur,
Mexico and a big blue marlin ignored the other lures and any drop back bait
we used. I finally pulled in the teaser and rigged it with 12/0 hooks and
hooked (and released) a 500# (est.) blue marlin. As my fly fishing friend
says, "Match the hatch!" Don't be afraid to pull a big/huge lure, especially
if it's what the fish want.

Stay Tuned,

Bill

"Big Tuna Bill" Ghiselin