Trolling motor information/advice needed

Old March 10th, 2004, 02:43 AM
Chris S

Default Trolling motor information/advice needed

Also need to look at where you like the foot control forward & backward or
Side to side. I looked at the AutoPIlot and didnt want the side to side
controls.
Chris

"Jerry" wrote in message
I am soon going to be in the market for a new bow mount trolling motor for
my 80s vintage 18' AstroGlass bass boat. I'm currently considering a
Minn-Kota with the autopilot feature. Can anyone tell me if the autopilot
really does what it says? I get weary of fighting with the boat when the
wind comes up, trying to keep it off the rocks and out of the weeds while

my
brother blissfully fishes. Thanks.

Old March 10th, 2004, 03:27 AM
go-bassn

Not only that, but when you turn with that motor it omits a mechanical sound
that I'm convinced can be heard underwater (by fish). I had the autopilot
for awhile, canned it. I don't know what you expect from the autopilot, but
unless you're in a very consistant, one-directional wind it's not gonna
solve your problem. Perhaps you need a more powerful motor?

Warren
--
http://www.warrenwolk.com/

Old March 10th, 2004, 04:01 AM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"Jerry" wrote in message
I am soon going to be in the market for a new bow mount trolling motor for
my 80s vintage 18' AstroGlass bass boat. I'm currently considering a
Minn-Kota with the autopilot feature. Can anyone tell me if the autopilot
really does what it says? I get weary of fighting with the boat when the
wind comes up, trying to keep it off the rocks and out of the weeds while

my
brother blissfully fishes. Thanks.

The MinnKota AutoPilot does work and it definitely helps when in wind or
current. But, I have noticed that it has a tendency to go a little haywire
in the higher speed settings. I like it when I'm guiding, working a wind
blown shoreline and a client sticks a big fish. I can simply point the boat
to open water, set the AutoPilot, grab the net and go to the client to coach
him through landing the fish.

I would advise getting the 24 volt, 65 pound thrust model.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old March 10th, 2004, 06:02 AM
Calif Bill

"Jerry" wrote in message
On Tue, 9 Mar 2004 22:01:24 -0600, "Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers"
wrote:

"Jerry" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Thank (to everybody) for the info. I am thinking of the 65 lb. 24 volt
model. As far as the side to side foot control, for me, it probably would

be
an advantage. I don't get out often enough to really get used to the way

the
old Johnson trolling motor I got with the boat works, and anything to get
rid of that stiff foot control with the cables. It's so stiff that it

works
best for me in most cases to use both feet. It's a 12 volt Johnson

Seahorse
from the early 80s, and I've scoured the Internet and the users manual and
can't even find out what the thrust is. And the last trip out, the high
speed setting quit working. Probably a loose connection, but it's

definitely
time to upgrade.

I like my 65AP. Is also great when trolling for trout and kokanee salmon.
The motor also does not turn when you take your foot off the pedal.
Bill

Old March 10th, 2004, 01:26 PM
jack schmitt KQ4C

Jerry wrote:

I am soon going to be in the market for a new bow mount trolling motor for
my 80s vintage 18' AstroGlass bass boat. I'm currently considering a
Minn-Kota with the autopilot feature. Can anyone tell me if the autopilot
really does what it says? I get weary of fighting with the boat when the
wind comes up, trying to keep it off the rocks and out of the weeds while my
brother blissfully fishes. Thanks.

I have the 65# MinnKota with the AP. I was given the copilot last year.
I seldom use the AP, but the copilot is the best device I have used. I
can fish any where in the boat with no cables. As was pointed out the AP
does make a clicking noise which I think scares the fish.
Old March 10th, 2004, 04:01 PM
SimRacer

"go-bassn" wrote in message
Not only that, but when you turn with that motor it omits a mechanical

sound
that I'm convinced can be heard underwater (by fish). I had the autopilot
for awhile, canned it. I don't know what you expect from the autopilot,

but
unless you're in a very consistant, one-directional wind it's not gonna
solve your problem. Perhaps you need a more powerful motor?

Warren
--
http://www.warrenwolk.com/

The noise is the only thing about it that bothers me too Warren. I helped a
friend of mine put one on his boat (24v 65# thrust RipTide model) for
trolling for stripers. While it works great for that, I too think it is a
little noisy for anyone trying to sneak up on LM in the shallows.

But it does work as advertised no doubt, so long as you can mount it within
that '5º of level' window that the internal compass requires to actually
keep one on-track. The extra long pedal wire is a plus and is what I am
battling with for getting one myself. I hate being tethered right to the bow
of my boat, but the motor that turns the troller can seem loud at times, for
sure.

Old March 10th, 2004, 04:27 PM
Swamp Yankee

I guide in a river for smallies & I love the MK65 AP. I can relax a little
more knowing what direction the boat is pointed. This is a very dependable
machine. The remote cordless control is great also. I have one on both of my
boats.

--
Charlie

Old March 10th, 2004, 08:10 PM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"SimRacer" wrote in message SNIP

The noise is the only thing about it that bothers me too Warren. I helped

friend of mine put one on his boat (24v 65# thrust RipTide model) for
trolling for stripers. While it works great for that, I too think it is a
little noisy for anyone trying to sneak up on LM in the shallows.

But it does work as advertised no doubt, so long as you can mount it

within
that '5º of level' window that the internal compass requires to actually
keep one on-track. The extra long pedal wire is a plus and is what I am
battling with for getting one myself. I hate being tethered right to the

bow
of my boat, but the motor that turns the troller can seem loud at times,

for
sure.

You know, I have to produce fish in order to keep clients happy. I run an
AutoPilot system and don't seem to have any problems getting shallow fish to
bite. My partner Gil runs an AutoPilot, he too catches fish in the
shallows. I personally think that it's much ado about nothing.

I find the convenience of the long foot pedal cable (might invest in a
Co-Pilot one of these days), as well as the AutoPilot feature to make it
worthwhile. I've literally gone directly overhead of bass and muskies with
no reaction from them.

Old March 10th, 2004, 10:44 PM
SimRacer

Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers" wrote in message

[...]

I trust your opinion, I simply have never fished one for LM as of yet, just
seemed aweful noisy to me when trolling for striper. It didn't matter then
really, as we were right in front of the dam at Kerr Lake (NC/VA border) and
were trolling down at about 100ft. (and pulling some Magnum Stretch 50+
Manns crankbaits too, if you're into large deep running crankbaits, they're
nice IMO).

I like the motor and still may get one. I just wish it didn't sound like a
motorized erector set with a bad motor...lol But then again, I'm the one
that threw out a whole spool of Fireline since IT made so much noise in my
rod's eyes on retrieve...just don't like noise when I fish here, the fishing
pressure is too much locally to take any chances with the few fish I
actually get to find anymore.

Old March 11th, 2004, 01:54 AM
Calif Bill

"SimRacer" wrote in message
.com...
[...]

And then you throw a lure with a rattle or a buzz bait.

Bill