Jackson Hole Hike/Fish backcountry suggestions?

Old August 16th, 2004, 03:59 PM
Tim G

Default Jackson Hole Hike/Fish backcountry suggestions?

My girlfriend and I will be taking a 9-day vacation in Jackson Hole,
starting August 29th. I'm hoping to use the opportunity to get her
interested in fly fishing. I've already booked a float trip on the
Snake, and I might take her out with me a few days on some of the
local streams. But the big event, the real selling point, is the
3-day, 2-night backcountry hike in, camp, and fish trip I'm planning.
Now I just have to decide where to go.

Does anyone have any specific suggestions for a dream backcountry trip
like this? I was thinking Yellowstone, hiking in to some of the
beatiful areas and less-fished waters (although, we can't get too far
out, given our time constraints). Or, someone suggested to me the
Tetons, a bit closer to Jackson Hole, with perhaps more spectacular
scenery? (I don't generally do still-water fishing, but I've been
told the lakes there are worth it.)

Again, the goal here is, yes, to catch wild trout in a beatiful place.
The trip should place special emphasis on the hiking, camping,
scenery, wildlife, etc., as I'll be trying to encourage her to take
more similar trips with me in the future, and it's currently unclear
whether the fishing alone will sell her on it. I know there are a lot
of good possibilities to choose from, but I'm hoping someone might
have personal experience to help me narrow my choices.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Tim
Old August 16th, 2004, 04:30 PM
rw

Tim G wrote:

Does anyone have any specific suggestions for a dream backcountry trip
like this? I was thinking Yellowstone, hiking in to some of the
beatiful areas and less-fished waters (although, we can't get too far
out, given our time constraints).

I've heard that Sportsman's Lake in the Park is good, but I've never
been there. Maybe Yellowstone Grizzly Kenny can comment. Ten mile hike,
I hear.

The Bechler River in the southeast corner of the park has very large
fish, but they are extremely tough. The end of August may be a little
early, though.

Old August 16th, 2004, 04:55 PM
Ken Fortenberry

rw wrote:

Tim G wrote:

Does anyone have any specific suggestions for a dream backcountry trip
like this? I was thinking Yellowstone, hiking in to some of the
beatiful areas and less-fished waters (although, we can't get too far
out, given our time constraints).

I've heard that Sportsman's Lake in the Park is good, but I've never
been there. Maybe Yellowstone Grizzly Kenny can comment. Ten mile hike,
I hear.

The Bechler River in the southeast corner of the park has very large
fish, but they are extremely tough. The end of August may be a little
early, though.

Sportsman's Lake is tough to fish without a watercraft of some sort.
The Bechler is one of my favorites but it can be a swampy, buggy
mess of a place to try and camp.

In the Park I'd suggest hiking up to the third meadow of Slough Creek.
Be sure to get your backcountry permit in advance and I'd try for 2S4
if you can get it. That's the best campsite on Slough Creek and it's
about eight miles up the trail.

--
Ken Fortenberry

Old August 17th, 2004, 04:16 AM
Gene Cottrell

"Tim G" wrote in message
om...
My girlfriend and I will be taking a 9-day vacation in Jackson Hole,
starting August 29th. I'm hoping to use the opportunity to get her
interested in fly fishing. SNIP

.., as I'll be trying to encourage her to take
more similar trips with me in the future, and it's currently unclear
whether the fishing alone will sell her on it.

I tried the same with my bride of 38 years, when we were dating and she
didn't care for it - thank God! I didn't realize then what it would mean to
go on trips with my brother and friends without her worrying about toilets,
bugs, bathing, etc. I love her and we have a number of common interests,
but fishing is mine. We've bicycled in Ireland, France and Switzerland and
half of the USA together and I enjoyed it all, but it's still great to take
the tent and get away alone or with my brother for a few days. Of course it
could be great, if she truly enjoys it. But, to compromise on aspects that
make it great for you could take a lot of pleasure away for you, and you
could grow to resent it. Our relationship has worked with me having my
enjoyments, her having hers and us having ours and neither of us is jealous
of the others free time.

Gene

Old August 17th, 2004, 01:58 PM
Tim G

Yes, that's the way my parents have done it as well, and the model
certainly does work. That said, it'd be great if she had ~some~
interest, so that we'd be able to take vacations to places that
featured fly-fishing as a centerpiece, and that she would at least be
able to participate to whatever degree she wanted. I don't see her
ever coming along on the vast majority of my trips - but it'd be good
to have the option open.

Thanks for your thoughts...

Tim