Want these and other newsgroups spam-free?

Old March 16th, 2005, 10:18 PM
yellowchaser

Default Want these and other newsgroups spam-free?

As a huge supporter of the outdoor community, I have always loved the
newsgroups but they have become such a haven for the spammers that it
has become ridicilous. You now have the oppurtunity to take back the
newsgroups from the advertisers and spammers.

We have developed "The Outdoor Groups" which consists of a huge
message board based system with inputs from this and many other
newsgroups. The best thing about it is members have the ability to
report spam to moderators and they have the power to DELETE them.
What is left is a nice clean spam-free place for fishermen and
hunters to hang out.

If you would like to become part of this movement please join us at
http://www.hookandsinker.com. We are always looking for
more moderators so if you would like to help keep things clean
first-hand then email us and we can get you set-up.

Thanks.
posted from www.hookandsinker.com
Old March 16th, 2005, 10:20 PM
yellowchaser

For a direct link to the groups you can go to
http://www.hookandsinker.com/phpBB2
posted from www.hookandsinker.com
Old March 16th, 2005, 11:22 PM
sprattoo

ummm....

wasn't that post a spam?

to get signups at your website?
Just looked funny. A hate advertisements? Then listen to my advertisement
advertisement.

I have a bulletin board too! so does just about anyone who has webhosting if
they want to take 5 minutes and install it.
_______________________________
Everything from fishing to Freaks
www.sprattoo.com
_______________________________
"yellowchaser" wrote in
message ...

Old March 16th, 2005, 11:41 PM
yellowchaser

No it wasn't a spam message. If you read closely, this is not a normal
message board that you throw together in 5 minutes. This is
intergrated WITH the newsgroups, as your message board is not. This
is a way for the people that love the newgroups to be able to still
view them without all the ads trying to tell you haoe to make
yourself rich overnight. And no I did not post it to try to get
people to come to the site, we have plenty of traffic without having
to stoop to that. We offered something for free that people might
benefit from, if its not for you then please by all means don't try
it.
posted from www.hookandsinker.com
Old March 18th, 2005, 12:40 AM
sprattoo

"yellowchaser" wrote in
message news
No it wasn't a spam message. If you read closely, this is not a normal
message board that you throw together in 5 minutes. This is
intergrated WITH the newsgroups, as your message board is not. This
is a way for the people that love the newgroups to be able to still
view them without all the ads trying to tell you haoe to make
yourself rich overnight. And no I did not post it to try to get
people to come to the site, we have plenty of traffic without having
to stoop to that. We offered something for free that people might
benefit from, if its not for you then please by all means don't try
it.
posted from www.hookandsinker.com

relax.. i wasn't getting aggressive. My board has nothing in it at all as a
matter of fact I just pieced it together yesterday hehe. If I could figure
out how to get the feed to run to it from a newsgroup I certaibly would as
well!

I was just saying that it looked....... wrong. Well, I think you got the
idea of what I thought it looked like. I never suggested the board wasn't
for me or anyone else. I also didnt suggest that you didnt offer anything of
value.

It looks like your trying to pull users from one group to yours through what
looks like an ad blurb on the first group. (not that I have a problem with
that either)
I only really have problems with bunk sites that try to make me download
viruses.

I mean really.. read it. it sure looks like you posted an advertisement in a
NG to my eyes.

Old March 18th, 2005, 12:48 AM
sprattoo

"yellowchaser" wrote in
message news
No it wasn't a spam message. If you read closely, this is not a normal
message board that you throw together in 5 minutes. This is
intergrated WITH the newsgroups, as your message board is not. This
is a way for the people that love the newgroups to be able to still
view them without all the ads trying to tell you haoe to make
yourself rich overnight. And no I did not post it to try to get
people to come to the site, we have plenty of traffic without having
to stoop to that. We offered something for free that people might
benefit from, if its not for you then please by all means don't try
it.
posted from www.hookandsinker.com

By the way that is an excellent piece of software that does that... what do
you use or how do you get NG posts to a Bulletin board setup like that?
Does each moderator do it manually? or is there some auotmated software?

I do like the site too btw.!

Old March 18th, 2005, 05:55 AM
yellowchaser

No its all totally automated, I can configure the interval to whatever
I like but to preserve webserver resources I set it to do
synchronizations every 30 minutes. What happens is no matter where or
how someone posts into the newsgroup or however many newsgroups I
selected, it will automatically pick up those new posts or replies
and import them into the message board. It will at the same time, if
anyone posts new or reply messages within our message board they will
be then posted into the appropriate newsgroups so everyone to see no
matter how they do it, i.e. with google, outlook, etc.. Its a pretty
complicated process but it works very well.
The only part that is manual right now is removing spam posts as they
come into the message board, that way you get a nice clean version of
the newsgroups, with all the functionality of posting to them and
reading them. I am currently working on a filter that will do most of
filtering the spam before it comes in but its still got a ways to go
to be ready.

I apologize for jumping the gun earlier, its frustrating sometimes
when you love the outdoors and like give back to the outdoor
community by putting in countless hours trying to make something
better for everyone, and instead of them simplying giving it the
benefit of the doubt it is instantly made to look like you are trying
to do something wrong. I certainly would never try to pull anyone
from any newgroups, I fully support them. I have been working as a
computer engineer for over 17 years and I remember back when
everything was BBS, then newsgroups came along. I myself personally
hate wading through ads and spam trying to find a topic I want to
read, so I found a way to help let the true members of the newsgroups
take back there places. Think about it, if all those spammers new
that their ads were being filtered and not even see by anyone, how
quickly do you think they would move on and isn't it nice to ****
them off for a change!
posted from www.hookandsinker.com
Old March 18th, 2005, 06:12 AM
yellowchaser

And you'll probably notice that at the bottom of each post that
originates from our site to the newsgroups, I placed at statement
that it was posted from www.hookandsinker.com
I do that on purpose, not to advertise but to let people know where
that post came from. Each member on the message board has to register
to post and also has to provide a valid email address that they have
to validate by an email that is sent out to them upon registration.
By doing this if any member is found posting anything that is
offensive or harmful to others then you do have a recourse through us
by us notifying their provider and removing their account from the
message boards. Yes this won't keep them from going somewhere else
and posting but it will keep our message boards a clean place for
everyone. Unlike at google where any tom, dick or harry with a fake
email can post to the newsgroups, there is no accountablility there.
posted from www.hookandsinker.com
Old March 18th, 2005, 06:41 PM
Tex John

We run our bonsai newsgroup through something similar (but different) via
newsguy and I can vouch for their spam filters. I haven't the faintest idea
what they charge, but if you got your newsfeeds thru their servers, it would
be pretty clean before it got to you.

John
in Houston

"yellowchaser" wrote in
message ...

Old March 22nd, 2005, 12:16 PM
sprattoo

Where does a guy pick up a service or softwae like that? That sounds pretty
cool. With or without spam ads.

--