Battery charger question

Old March 25th, 2004, 01:09 AM
Eric Lang

Default Battery charger question

I have been using a battery charger that is around 30 years old. Seems
like it has been working well the last few years, but I wonder if
getting a new one will give me a better charge.
Is a battery charger just a battery charger, or is there a difference?
Thanks!

Old March 25th, 2004, 02:25 AM
J Buck

I have been using a battery charger that is around 30 years old. Seems
like it has been working well the last few years, but I wonder if
getting a new one will give me a better charge. Is a battery charger
just a battery charger, or is there a difference?

I, for one, am no expert, but seems to me if it's charging your battery,
then it's charging your battery. The only way a new one will give you a
'better' charge is if it charges faster.

I am pretty sure of one thing though... you'll get replies differing
from this one LoL

Old March 25th, 2004, 02:58 AM
Henry Hefner

J Buck wrote:

I have been using a battery charger that is around 30 years old. Seems
like it has been working well the last few years, but I wonder if
getting a new one will give me a better charge. Is a battery charger
just a battery charger, or is there a difference?

I, for one, am no expert, but seems to me if it's charging your battery,
then it's charging your battery. The only way a new one will give you a
'better' charge is if it charges faster.

I am pretty sure of one thing though... you'll get replies differing
from this one LoL

Yep, here's a differing one. I have always been told that a battery will
last longer if you charge it slowly. I remember my dad would always
check with the service station (remember those?) where he would buy a
battery to make sure they used a trickle charger on them, rather than a
fast charge. have batteries changed in this respect? Or does it make no
difference?

Old March 25th, 2004, 04:30 AM
Doc \(The Tin Boat King\)

Too fast a charge rate will produce excessive heat and warp the plates in the battery. Warp them enough and they will touch
causeing a shorted cell and a junk battery. I use a Vector VEC 1090 A 20/10/2 amp charger. They contain a microchip the reads
battery condition an when the battery is full it shuts down and reads "FULL".It will go to a "Standby" mode if the battery is
takeing alot of amps then turn back on after a few minutes of cool down time. I got mine at Wally World for about $60. Doc

Old March 25th, 2004, 04:41 AM
J Buck

Well, I *did* say I was no expert.

Old March 25th, 2004, 12:41 PM
Dale Coleman

On Wed, 24 Mar 2004 20:09:55 -0500, Eric Lang
wrote:

I have been using a battery charger that is around 30 years old. Seems
like it has been working well the last few years, but I wonder if
getting a new one will give me a better charge.
Is a battery charger just a battery charger, or is there a difference?
Thanks!

Hi all, what are you charging? Deep cycle trolling batteries?

Does your old charger have a timer? Or a low 2 amp rate? If yes keep
it!

What I have found is the new chargers can offer a more accurate charge
and help prevent overcharging. They have a chip in them that monitors
the charge and will cut off the charge when the battery is fully
charged.

The only problem is you will need to get one that is designed to
charge deep cycle batteries. The lower price chargers like what you
might find in the auto department only seem to work well on a cranking
battery and only if it is down but not fully discharged.

Fully discharging any lead acid battery is not good but it happens all
the time.

I have found the chip in the newer battery chargers can not handel a
fully discharged battery.

When I get a fully discharged cranking battery I can often bring it
back to life by hooking up an old pre chip 2 amp charger for a long 18
hour or so charge.

Hope this helps, DC

--
Dale Colemam

Old March 25th, 2004, 01:10 PM
AJH

Wal Mart has a deep cycle battery charger 2/10 amps with auto shutoff
for about 30 bucks..

Old March 25th, 2004, 02:28 PM
Jerry Barton

Try this and see if there's any answers for you.
http://www.uuhome.de/william.darden/carfaq.htm

news

Old March 26th, 2004, 12:05 AM
Eric Lang

Based on the feedback here, seems like the only thing I am missing is
an automatic "shut-off". I charge at 2 amp rate, very slow. I beat the
batteries pretty good every season (2 deep cycles running 24 volts)
and they seem to last pretty long (2.5 seasons)..

Thanks for all of the good feedback!

-EL